Another mini camp to be held

Sports Guy

Can't ask for much better news than that.   I am wondering if Ortiz will be a full go by April?  I hope so.   I don't expect to see Hanifee back until late in the year or Fall instructs.   Otherwise, very good news on the health front.

Would love to know the real thinking with Hall this year.

I just wonder how many innings they go into the year thinking he can throw and do they feel he gets to the majors this year? 

I hope he starts at AAA and if he is pitching well and the command and control are there, I would have him in the majors sometime before the AS break but probably after Memorial Day.

19 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I just wonder how many innings they go into the year thinking he can throw and do they feel he gets to the majors this year? 

I hope he starts at AAA and if he is pitching well and the command and control are there, I would have him in the majors sometime before the AS break but probably after Memorial Day.

I agree Hall could be ready to come up this year before the all star break, but I have my doubts Elias would call up Hall without more time at Norfolk first.

22 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Im just hoping the elbow is structurally sound and take it from there. Thats my biggest worry. If it delays his debut in Baltimore an extra month or two, there's nothing wrong with being cautious.

• Upvote 1

The big news here was definitely the favorable report on Kjerstad:

“Cowser and Kjerstad are expected to stay through both camps. It’s a significant development with Kjerstad, who hasn’t appeared in a professional game after his diagnosis of myocarditis that followed the 2020 draft. He was cleared to participate in the fall instructional camp and hit live pitching, with the reports being quite favorable, and the Orioles seem to be leaning toward extending an invitation to major league camp.”

https://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2022/01/rutschman-kjerstad-cowser-headline-next-minicamp-and-other-notes.html

That’s really good news.   

• Upvote 2

23 minutes ago, jabba72 said:

Im just hoping the elbow is structurally sound and take it from there. Thats my biggest worry. If it delays his debut in Baltimore an extra month or two, there's nothing wrong with being cautious.

Totally agree.  The important thing is that he pitches this year and gets through the year healthy, no matter where he is pitching.

That being said, a pitcher usually only has so many pitches in his arm and I would prefer most of those to occur in the majors for him.

I guess my position is if you start him in AAA (or he is moved there relatively quickly) and he pitches well, I don’t see the need to keep him down there for too long.  A few months yes but beyond that, that’s the point?

My guess is that he is treated like an opener for the first 4-6 weeks and then he gets to open it up some.

4 minutes ago, Frobby said:

The big news here was definitely the favorable report on Kjerstad:

“Cowser and Kjerstad are expected to stay through both camps. It’s a significant development with Kjerstad, who hasn’t appeared in a professional game after his diagnosis of myocarditis that followed the 2020 draft. He was cleared to participate in the fall instructional camp and hit live pitching, with the reports being quite favorable, and the Orioles seem to be leaning toward extending an invitation to major league camp.”

https://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2022/01/rutschman-kjerstad-cowser-headline-next-minicamp-and-other-notes.html

That’s really good news.   

Yes it is. 

Would be great for everyone if he's full go.

I wonder if Kjerstad skips Delmarva or is only there for a couple weeks. Obviously the most important thing is just getting reps somewhere, but I would prefer that he get the plurality of at-bats this season in Bowie rather than Aberdeen. A first round college hitter isn't really challenged at low-A and should make short work of high-A.

Just now, MurphDogg said:

I wonder if Kjerstad skips Delmarva or is only there for a couple weeks. Obviously the most important thing is just getting reps somewhere, but I would prefer that he get the plurality of at-bats this season in Bowie rather than Aberdeen. A first round college hitter isn't really challenged at low-A and should make short work of high-A.

He should start in Aberdeen, especially if he is at the ML camp.  I think all of these camps and then spring training is enough "getting his feet wet" that you can start him in Aberdeen.

Just now, MurphDogg said:

Rutschman started in the Gulf Coast League.  I'm not sure how Kjerstad skips Delmarva after a two season layoff.

42 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Rutschman started in the Gulf Coast League.  I'm not sure how Kjerstad skips Delmarva after a two season layoff.

Rutschman hadn't played in a couple months and was in the GCL for a week. Kjerstad has multiple minicamps and spring training. It is a different calculus. Every minor leaguer missed the 2020 season and all the college bats from the 2020 draft didn't start 2021 in low-A.