Schmuck: Ramon Deal to Cincy all but Complete

Birds08

I care & I'd imagine that most here care as they are the reason to make this deal. I wonder if this signals that we will sign Zaun soon? Give him the starting Job until to bring up Matt.

I'd think the O's wouldn't take back any prospects that they don't see as being better than the equivalent players at the same level in the O's system.

If the prospects weren't worth getting the O's would just trade Freel for Ramon straight up and be done with it. So I'm excited to see who they are. :)

In fact, I'm hoping that since Freel was considered to have "worn out his welcome in Cincinnati" (according to Rosenthal and other sources) that the prospects are the actual compensation in the deal, not Freel.

Maybe the deal could be characterized as:

The Reds:

- Get Ramon Hernandez

- Get to dump Freel and his horrible contract

- Get 1 million+ in cash

The O's:

- Acquire two pretty good prospects

If that's the case, then the prospects are all we're getting back in the deal.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2:39pm: Rosenthal says an agreement has been reached to send Hernandez to Cincy for Freel and two prospects. The Orioles are sending over $1MM, so the deal requires approval of the commissioner's office. I can see how this might work out for both clubs; each player had worn out his welcome.

You've quoted it wrong...

3:28 p.m. — Reds, O's agree on trade

The Reds have reached preliminary agreement with the Orioles on a trade that will send catcher Ramon Hernandez to Cincinnati for outfielder Ryan Freel and two prospects, according to a major-league source.

The deal is pending the approval of the commissioner's office, because it involves a cash transaction of more than $1 million.

On Monday, major-league sources said the deal would not be completed unless the Orioles picked up a significant portion of Hernandez's remaining salary.

Hernandez is owed $8 million in 2009 with a club option of $8.5 million or a $1 million buyout for 2010, meaning he is guaranteed $9 million.

If Wieters is here and starting, he might not accept it for a backup role though. I dunno.

I have a really strong feeling that we won't see Weiters up here to start the year. Unless he blows people away in ST, I think he starts in AAA. AM even said yesterday "you need to realize, MW has only had 200 at-bats in AA." I think we pickup someone like Zaun with the intent of having them start this year, and backup up Matt next year...if it even goes past a one year deal.

It's pretty amazing how fast Ramon fell out of favor here. His first year here was amazing, and I thought we were set with him through his contract.

My perception of Freel has nothing to do with what he can contribute during a rebuilding year to a team destined to win maybe 70 games. It has to do with the fact he'll be taking a roster spot from either Montanez or Salazar, either of whom could be part of our plans when we actually have a shot to compete.

Would you please climb down off of that high horse. Neither Salazar (31 years old in June 09) or Montanez (turns 28 on Monday) are young prospects who are being blocked by anyone. They could both be the same kind of useful spare parts that Freel is, but neither is likely to be any more than that. Montanez is a fourth OF'er at best, and Salazar is a utility corner infielder. Both might be part the right handed part of a DH platoon. But that's it. Neither features as a major part of our future, any more or less than Freel. So give that argument a break - it doesn't hold water. And, stop ignoring the two prospects that are apparently coming with Freel.

How did I quote it wrong? I quoted what was printed. lol So I quoted a misquote?

It clearly says: Orioles are sending over $1MM which is different than paying over $1MM...

Not sure of the argument, but that can be taken two ways:

Orioles are sending greatern than 1 million

Orioles are sending Cincy 1 million even.

My impression is it is above 1 million. But really who cares?

Not sure of the argument, but that can be taken two ways:

Orioles are sending greatern than 1 million

Orioles are sending Cincy 1 million even.

My impression is it is above 1 million. But really who cares?

I agree. Seems like it would be poor journalistic style if it means we're going to be sending more than $1MM though. If the amount is undetermined, just say that.

Archived