Schmuck: Ramon Deal to Cincy all but Complete

Birds08

While we all hate him here, Ramon has a very good shot at being a Type A/B free agent next year. He wouldn't have been for us because of Wieters, but he probably will for the Reds.

That gives MacPhail some leverage in asking for decent prospects in return, because the Reds will most likely get picks to replace them.

He's all ready a Type A so he could be again next year.

Link: http://www.nypost.com/seven/11042008/sports/yankees/al_player_rankings_136998.htm

Catchers

A Players

1. Joe Mauer, 89.401

2. Victor Martinez, 88.018

3. Jorge Posada, 84.793

4. A.J. Pierzynski, 78.111

5. Jason Varitek, 76.037

6. Ramon Hernandez, 73.733

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Rosenthal is claiming it is a done deal. Ramon for Freel and two prospects. Who cares who the prospects are. The fact that he got three players for Ramon Hernandez is shocking.

I care & I'd imagine that most here care as they are the reason to make this deal. I wonder if this signals that we will sign Zaun soon? Give him the starting Job until to bring up Matt.

Is a mid-level prospect someone in the middle levels of the minors (ie. A or AA), or does it mean a decent, but not great prospect?

For comparison in the O's system - a year ago, Olson might have been considered a mid level prospect. Currently, Reimold might be considered a mid-level prospect.

Anyone disagree with that assessment?

While we all hate him here, Ramon has a very good shot at being a Type A/B free agent next year. He wouldn't have been for us because of Wieters, but he probably will for the Reds.

That gives MacPhail some leverage in asking for decent prospects in return, because the Reds will most likely get picks to replace them.

Great point.

He's all ready a Type A so he could be again next year.

Link: http://www.nypost.com/seven/11042008/sports/yankees/al_player_rankings_136998.htm

Because of his declining performance and awful defensive skills which aren't accounted for in the rankings, he'd be a very good bet to accept arbitration rather than take what he's really worth on the free agent market. There's almost 0% chance he'd be offered arbitration for the small chance of getting the picks.

Because of his declining performance and awful defensive skills which aren't accounted for in the rankings, he'd be a very good bet to accept arbitration rather than take what he's really worth on the free agent market. There's almost 0% chance he'd be offered arbitration for the small chance of getting the picks.

If Wieters is here and starting, he might not accept it for a backup role though. I dunno.

I guess it would depend on how he performs next year. If he does improve and somehow have a good year, then there could be something with the FA status (and him wanting to test FA) but it's way too early to think about that. And I still have to go buy some tomatoes. ;)

For comparison in the O's system - a year ago, Olson might have been considered a mid level prospect. Currently, Reimold might be considered a mid-level prospect.

Anyone disagree with that assessment?

So you are saying its the latter of my two possibilities then, not the former?

I imagine we are paying a bunch of Ramon's salary...

2:39pm: Rosenthal says an agreement has been reached to send Hernandez to Cincy for Freel and two prospects. The Orioles are sending over $1MM, so the deal requires approval of the commissioner's office. I can see how this might work out for both clubs; each player had worn out his welcome.

So that's one of BB predictions for the Winter Meetings coming true....

It says 1M

1 million is the buyout and anything over that has to be approved by the commissioner's office. So there is more than 1 million being picked up IMO. 1 million isn't a significant portion of Ramon's contract.

I think it's something like 4-5 million...

Archived