Correa (Update, signs with Twins)

Yardball85

1 hour ago, NCRaven said:

Or you might think that the farm system is strong enough that you don’t need to spend $350 million on a free agent.

I’m not against signing Correa.  But, I can see arguments on both sides.

Yea but that doesn’t apply to the idea that we have zero % chance in signing him.

If the Orioles want to sign him and want to spend this type of money, they absolutely can finish it off and get the job done.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Yea but that doesn’t apply to the idea that we have zero % chance in signing him.

If the Orioles want to sign him and want to spend this type of money, they absolutely can finish it off and get the job done.

The Orioles don’t spend money like that plus Elias has been crystal clear that he’s still in tank mode. 

2 minutes ago, oriole said:

The Orioles don’t spend money like that plus Elias has been crystal clear that he’s still in tank mode. 

There is precedent under Angelos. Tejada and Belle were top tier signings. Arguably we are in a better position to win now than with either of those signings. I would not say zero chance on Correa but would agree with very, very small. 

Correa also would free us up from having to keep 2-3 additional IF types on the 40 man roster. Realistically that helps us carry two additional pitchers and next offseason helps us protect more prospects from the rule 5 draft. So even at $35mm a year, he’s making the lineup, defense, and pitching better… all while making the 26 and 40 man roster better as well. Plus, from a team building standpoint you have C, SS, and CF, locked down for a long time. 

Signing Correa seems like a pipe dream, but once you get over the she shock and awe of it, it fits what Elias is doing. He’s drafted just bats for the most part. Our DSL big signings have been bats. We have 5 picks in the top 100ish of the upcoming draft. Grow the bats, trade for the arms. 

3 hours ago, WI O’s Fan said:

The only way he signs is if the O’s front loaded the contract with a 3rd year opt out.   10/350- 44m, 44 mi, 44m for 1st 3 years and 31m years 4-10.

I've advocated for a front loaded deal.  But if I'm the O's I will not front load it and give you an early opt out.  One or the other.

12 hours ago, Pickles said:

I've advocated for a front loaded deal.  But if I'm the O's I will not front load it and give you an early opt out.  One or the other.

Giving him the opt out is fine.  But I need 4 years until he can exercise it.

My optimal deal would be:

8/280..opt out after 4 years.

Pay you 180M for the first 4 years.  He makes 45M a year and most of the rest of the team won’t even make that much.

Then he’s looking at 4/100 or opt for free agency.  At that point, my hope would be that he opts for free agency and you let him walk.  If he stays, it’s not an egregious amount owed the rest of the time.

Once those 4 years are up, we start to get into the high arb raises for some guys and his salary is no longer an issue there.

• Upvote 2

The one big thing that makes me think we might not go for a deal is the Qualifying Offer loss of a draft pick. Looking at the rules, the O's would lose their Second round pick, which would be #1 in round two (since we lose our third highest pick). I could see that being a deal breaker for the front office.

9 minutes ago, Absltgreek said:

The one big thing that makes me think we might not go for a deal is the Qualifying Offer loss of a draft pick. Looking at the rules, the O's would lose their Second round pick, which would be #1 in round two (since we lose our third highest pick). I could see that being a deal breaker for the front office.

I dont think a 2nd rounder would deter them if they're deciding to offer 350M.

10 minutes ago, Absltgreek said:

I'm pretty sure that got removed in the new CBA. 

“We've agreed to a universal designated hitter and the elimination of draft choice compensation,” Manfred said following the conclusion of the owner’s meetings in Orlando, Fla. “These changes will improve the free agent market by creating additional jobs that are often filled by veteran players and by reducing, actually eliminating, the drag from compensation.”

7 minutes ago, baltimoreO's22 said:

I'm pretty sure that got removed in the new CBA. 

“We've agreed to a universal designated hitter and the elimination of draft choice compensation,” Manfred said following the conclusion of the owner’s meetings in Orlando, Fla. “These changes will improve the free agent market by creating additional jobs that are often filled by veteran players and by reducing, actually eliminating, the drag from compensation.”

For that offer yes. The most recent agreement I believe was the July deadline to agree to the parameters for an international draft and only then would the qualifying offer be removed. 

Correa has already reportedly received and rejected a 10-year, $275MM offer from the Tigers, Correa’s sights have been more focused on topping Seager and possibly on topping Francisco Lindor’s $341MM guarantee with the Mets, however. He reportedly sought $330MM or more prior to the lockout.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2022/03/carlos-correa-rumors-astros-cubs-tigers-javier-baez.html