Jordan Lyles agrees to 1-year deal with O's

Natty

28 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Hope everyone realizes that the team with the best ERA in the AL last  season had three starters with ERAs over 5.00.  Yarbrough,  Wacha and Fleming.   And Tampa led the AL with 100 wins.

And  no Tampa pitcher  pitched over 155 innings.  

The O's one two punch of Grayson and Means will probably be better than any starter Tampa had last season.

The O's need more pitching depth but Lyles does not project to hurt the O's staff.  He projects to help it.

Great post & thoughts.

3 hours ago, wildcard said:

Hope everyone realizes that the team with the best ERA in the AL last  season had three starters with ERAs over 5.00.  Yarbrough,  Wacha and Fleming.   And Tampa led the AL with 100 wins.

And  no Tampa pitcher  pitched over 155 innings.  

The O's one two punch of Grayson and Means will probably be better than any starter Tampa had last season.

The O's need more pitching depth but Lyles does not project to hurt the O's staff.  He projects to help it.

Good post, I agree.

You need enough pitching to cover 162 9 inning games (give or take a few innings). It has to come from somewhere. Lyles is a relatively inexpensive option, who isn't tying up money long term, and the Orioles can run out every 5th day without worrying about his development, load management etc 

I'm not opposed to having Lyles to eat up innings, but at that price?

I've said it many times that I want this team to spend, and I don't care one bit about the profitability for the Angelos family...but couldn't we have him at half the price and use the money elsewhere?

Just now, Oriole1940 said:

Maybe in a large NL park this would be  a hopeful signing, but in the AL East and  in this ball park, it confirms just how bad the Orioles pitching is expected to be.  

Don't forget we moved the fence back.  It's a veritable Polo Grounds now!

• 2 weeks later...
Just now, SteveA said:

Roch's article in his blog today is titled "How Orioles lured Jordan Lyles to the organization".

Haven't had a chance to read it yet, but I assume it says "By paying twice his market value".

By giving him a ML contract.

They completely screwed this up as you see what other guys, namely Davies, are signing for. 

Even when they spend money, they still can’t get out of their own way.

4 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

By giving him a ML contract.

They completely screwed this up as you see what other guys, namely Davies, are signing for. 

Even when they spend money, they still can’t get out of their own way.

I think Elias had three goals.

1. Get an established ML pitcher to eat a few innings.
  2. Make a show of spending some money before the lockout (I think it was suggested to teams to do so).
  3. Not get anyone good enough to actually improve the team in a meaningful way.
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I think Elias had three goals.

1. Get an established ML pitcher to eat a few innings.
  2. Make a show of spending some money before the lockout (I think it was suggested to teams to do so).
  3. Not get anyone good enough to actually improve the team in a meaningful way.

Exactly. They spent money to hopefully eat some innings and protect the bullpen but clearly it’s not an attempt at winning any games. Just keep the bullpen from getting overworked and collect $7 million.