How Long Will Elias Stay in Baltimore?

LookinUp

With so much hand-wringing about the pace of the rebuild, lack of free agent spending and even MASN's disgustingly cheap approach to all things, I have to wonder how long Mike Elias will be in Baltimore.

He's had the chance to build an international program and rebuild the farm system but, absent a change in ownership, there's currently no reason to think he'll be given significant resources to put into the major league team. Isn't this a recipe for Elias to become our version of Andrew Friedman. A really smart guy who essentially used the Orioles like a minor league team for executives only to be plucked away by the Red Sox, Cubs, Giants or Nationals.

I'm not sure what his contract is, but I'm thinking he won't be around for a second contract. He will be in demand. Will need to be paid significantly to stay. I don't think that will happen, and that really stinks to think about considering how much better this org seems to be at identifying and developing talent.

5 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

With so much hand-wringing about the pace of the rebuild, lack of free agent spending and even MASN's disgustingly cheap approach to all things, I have to wonder how long Mike Elias will be in Baltimore.

He's had the chance to build an international program and rebuild the farm system but, absent a change in ownership, there's currently no reason to think he'll be given significant resources to put into the major league team. Isn't this a recipe for Elias to become our version of Andrew Friedman. A really smart guy who essentially used the Orioles like a minor league team for executives only to be plucked away by the Red Sox, Cubs, Giants or Nationals.

I'm not sure of how long his contract is, but I'd guess if he doesn't get an extension he will have options then. This is of course ownership doesn't open up the checkbook.

6 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

I think he'll have opportunities and will move on if he's hamstrung from taking the team from rebuild to trying to win a championship.  I suspect that it's 2023 or more likely 2024 when he thinks its right to increase spending and if he's not alowed to, at that point I think he'll start looking for an exit.

This is the beginning of Elias' 4th year of what I felt would be a 5 year rebuild.

If we are playing winning baseball next year, he'll probably be here another 3 to 4 years. If they are terrible again, it's probably 1-2 years

I’m not sure what he’s done to think he will be in demand, unless you’re another rebuilding team with zero infrastructure. If he becomes in demand, then he’s probably done a good job in returning us to contention and probably has some people under him that could take his place. My concern is that we’ll have to fire him and how do we find someone to replace him that the Angeli will give control. 

To me, this rebuild can be the slowest ever and still be a success if it results in a great organization that identifies and develops a great talent pipeline. The slowness is not ideal by any means, and I understand that people are frustrated by it all, but I really feel like Elias and Sig are critical to making that happen. 

Now maybe they have an understudy that we don't know about who would take over, but right now I think the biggest risk of being cheap and terrible, and really cheap, is the potential inability to keep the most important people to this rebuild.

Why are we assuming he’d be in high demand? He hasn’t proven much, he’s developed a good farm system but he’s done that by going nuclear at the major league level and going out of his way to field an extraordinarily bad team for many years with no end in sight. Honestly, a monkey could do that job. The draft picks have been nice but, IMO, he isn’t that great at that. He consistently drafts under slot and everyone acts like he’s a genius for it. The international focus is more of a positive for the owners willingness to invest rather than Elias. 

Anyways, all that to say…Elias is overrated if anyone thinks other teams are chomping at the bit to get him on board. I think he stays in Baltimore throughout the rebuild and years of contention.

• Upvote 3

Its only been two years really.  2020 doesn't count other than the 6 draft choices.   There was no  minor league season.

I expect that Angelos will spend when the fans return to Camden. Covid permitting.   If they are bringing in revenue he will spend.  

I think Angelos will want to keep Elias.  Its cheaper to spend on Elias than players.  Elias has bought into working with low payrolls.  Tampa style.

Will Elias want to stay?   I don't know, what will other  teams offer?

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

The better question (and really only question) is how long will the Angelos family be here?  I think that has a big impact on Elias in terms of how long he stays here.

Im not sure how hot of a commodity he will be until the ML team starts winning.  He isn’t doing anything most teams don’t do already. 

18 minutes ago, oriole said:

Why are we assuming he’d be in high demand? He hasn’t proven much, he’s developed a good farm system but he’s done that by going nuclear at the major league level and going out of his way to field an extraordinarily bad team for many years with no end in sight. Honestly, a monkey could do that job. The draft picks have been nice but, IMO, he isn’t that great at that. He consistently drafts under slot and everyone acts like he’s a genius for it. The international focus is more of a positive for the owners willingness to invest rather than Elias. 

Anyways, all that to say…Elias is overrated if anyone thinks other teams are chomping at the bit to get him on board. I think he stays in Baltimore throughout the rebuild and years of contention.

Elias is really only thought as a great talent by this board ( I would like to enter Frobby’s post as evidence😂😂😂). But having said that, like so many past GMs, do you believe he has full control? Of course not, that’s why a fair evaluation is nearly impossible. 

I think his dream job is either Houston or his hometown Nats, but unlikely Rizzo retires anytime soon, he’s a great GM and unlikely going anywhere in the near future. I know nothing about the current Houston GM.

But agreed 110%, he hasn’t proven much other than he refuses to take bpa in the first round (with the exception of Adley).