Adley Rutschman 2022

Just Regular

From Roch this morning:

Rutschman is catching bullpen sessions and participating in some defensive drills while also continuing his throwing and hitting progressions. He got his first live at-bats a few days ago, “and in Adley Rutschman style, he hit a home run,” Packer said.

https://www.masnsports.com/blog/checking-on-orioles-extended-spring-training

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

What if he’s looking really rusty?   Let’s say he’s striking out 30% of the time and not making great contact.  Do you just bring him up anyway and let him work out the kinks in the majors?   Or do you wait until he’s at full throttle in AAA?

I can see arguments either way on that one.   

You bring him up.  He will slump in his pro career.  He doesn’t need to be perfect when he comes up.

Second Roch update.So not beginning in Norfolk,according to the Roch.

My attendance has been poor lately, but what's up with Adley? Any chance he gets back on the field this month?

Rutschman is nearing a return to games. He’s catching some bullpen sessions and doing defensive work, and he’s taking live at-bats (the dead ones are useless.) So yeah, there’s daily progress and pretty soon he should be getting game action. But not immediately at Triple-A. This will be an injury rehab progression that sends him to the lower affiliates. Again, the key word is “soon.” The box scores will dictate how quickly he moves.

12 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

It's early but this is the frontrunner for least surprising news of the day.

I still think the super 2 cutoff is in play.

Also the 2023 draft is the "super" draft where the Clubs rostered less than their usual fraction of the High School Class of 2020.   

I haven't heard for sure either way, but believe lottery only affects first six picks, and worst record still gets slots associated with 2-1, 3-1, 4-1, etc.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Going Underground said:

My attendance has been poor lately, but what's up with Adley? Any chance he gets back on the field this month?

Rutschman is nearing a return to games. He’s catching some bullpen sessions and doing defensive work, and he’s taking live at-bats (the dead ones are useless.) So yeah, there’s daily progress and pretty soon he should be getting game action. But not immediately at Triple-A. This will be an injury rehab progression that sends him to the lower affiliates. Again, the key word is “soon.” The box scores will dictate how quickly he moves.

Adley has nothing to prove at AAA.  So he is essentially a major leaguer on rehab.  Normally a major leaguer goes to AAA to rehab.  So I don't really know what to make of this.

4 hours ago, Going Underground said:

Excruciating, honestly. 

10 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Adley has nothing to prove at AAA.  So he is essentially a major leaguer on rehab.  Normally a major leaguer goes to AAA to rehab.  So I don't really know what to make of this.

Not really. For instance Santander started his rehab in Bowie last year. It seems to depend on how long they’ve been out, and which teams are at home. 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, wildcard said:

That isn't true, especially for the Orioles where their AAA team is further away than all of their other farm teams. The Orioles tend to send players on minor league rehab to whichever local affiliate is playing a home game. If multiple affiliates are playing home games, they will choose whichever affiliate plays at a higher level.

7 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

That isn't true, especially for the Orioles where their AAA team is further away than all of their other farm teams. The Orioles tend to send players on minor league rehab to whichever local affiliate is playing a home game. If multiple affiliates are playing home games, they will choose whichever affiliate plays at a higher level.

The keys words to me are progression and affiliates.

Going to be a multistage process.

8 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

Norfolk and Bowie are home this weekend.   Then they both go on the road next week.   Aberdeen is home next week but if he goes there he will only be there for a couple of games and then he has to go on the road at AA or AAA.

Makes more sense to me for Adley to go to AAA where he is with Grayson and Bradish.

6 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

The keys words to me are progression and affiliates.

Going to be a multistage process.

Yeah. Even if Rutschman plays well, it could be a month from when he starts playing minor league games until he gets to Baltimore. They will continue to slow walk this. June seems like a realistic possibility.