The Final Straw? Elias to Trade Mancini

NelsonCruuuuuz

Also, wouldn't Mancini also prefer to play for a competitive team for a year before being a free agent?

As a fan who has season tickets and actually attends games in the 2022 season it is annoying, but as a long term fan who wants to see them be competitive I understand the move.

2 minutes ago, forphase1 said:

Eh, trading him is the smart and right baseball move really,  provided we can get a decent return. 

I agree, except with this tweak above. I don't think trading him for the sake of trading him is the right baseball move. He can help some guys here and really isn't blocking anyone yet. Come deadline time, I may be more willing to trade him for any return if Stowers (or someone else) is raking and we're looking to get him big league ABs, but not quite yet. For now, he's not blocking anyone and we have the available funds to pay him. 

I hope Elias is at least offering Mancini, but my belief all along was that he's worth more to the Orioles right now. He's a positionally limited hitter with a 104 OPS+ last year. That's not all that valuable. That said, he was coming off missing a season for cancer. If he gets closer to his 2019 self in the first half, he goes from being worth a few lottery tickets to possibly bringing back an actual prospect or two.  

Why does he keep saying the orioles never offered mancini an extension? They absolutely did, back in 2020 I believe and he declined. A very fair offer for Mancini too, I doubt he gets anywhere near it if he were to be extended now. The truth is that Mancini is not a good ball player. He's a below average to average bat with horrible speed and defense.

• Confused 1

I know that if Elias gets a good offer for Mancini he will trade him.  Yes, I  know that.   But I don't want to trade him before the season starts.   Maybe at the deadline but not now.  That's just me as a fan.  

I will feel better about trading him once Stowers is promoted.  At least I think I will.

47 minutes ago, jamalshw said:

I agree, except with this tweak above. I don't think trading him for the sake of trading him is the right baseball move. He can help some guys here and really isn't blocking anyone yet. Come deadline time, I may be more willing to trade him for any return if Stowers (or someone else) is raking and we're looking to get him big league ABs, but not quite yet. For now, he's not blocking anyone and we have the available funds to pay him. 

I hope Elias is at least offering Mancini, but my belief all along was that he's worth more to the Orioles right now. He's a positionally limited hitter with a 104 OPS+ last year. That's not all that valuable. That said, he was coming off missing a season for cancer. If he gets closer to his 2019 self in the first half, he goes from being worth a few lottery tickets to possibly bringing back an actual prospect or two.  

15 new jobs for hitters just opened up in MLB.

• Upvote 2

Im excited to see what the offers are. As long as its not for a corner OF and its for starting pitching thats in AA or higher. And truthfully Mancini is in his last year here. Maybe not if he decides he wants to come back as a DH. 

1 hour ago, NelsonCruuuuuz said:

Not trading Mancini is short-sighted foolishness.  They've made no effort to field a competitive team in 2022, so why keep him?  Trading Mancini is better for all involved. 

If you want to rant on the 2022 competitiveness, there's better topics.  Payroll, "the plan", E-Rod, Stroman, Correa, AR not on the OD roster...  Arguing to not trade Mancini would only be in the context of those points for 2022 only.  

• Upvote 2

If you were looking to acquire one year (or less) of a 30-year-old first baseman with a 115 OPS+, what would you give up for that?  He averages 1.9 rWAR per 600 PAs. 

You might give him a little bonus credit for being miscast as an outfielder, and for recovering from cancer last year.  So what would you offer in trade for one year of a 2.5 win, 30-year-old first baseman? He'll probably be paid $8M.  So, arguably $8M in surplus value if a win is $8M.

Nobody is going to give up multiple good prospects for him.  Not unless Mancini is crushing the ball on July 10th and some contender's first basemen gets eaten by a crocodile.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1