Tyler Wells 2022

Il BuonO

5 hours ago, Frobby said:

Very nice game for Wells.   I especially like the fact that he hasn’t walked a matter in his last three starts coveting 16.1 IP.

Here is a nice little "puff piece" on Tyler that gives a little insider info on what kind of person he is.

Which teammate would you want to be stranded on a deserted island with?
Which teammate would you want to be stranded on a deserted island with?
If I’m going based on survival skills, I’m probably going with Austin Hays. If I’m picking a coach, I’m going Darren Holmes.

https://www.mlb.com/news/featured/rapid-questions-with-tyler-wells

I have to wonder what the Orioles' plan for Wells is this year.

Just how many innings are they willing to let him pitch?

If he's in the rotation all year that's ~30 appearances.

I'm surprised they're letting him go 5-6 innings this early.  I was a bit surprised they let him go near 4 in spring training.

It seems to me they are planning on limiting his innings in one fashion or another later in the season.

22 minutes ago, Pickles said:

I have to wonder what the Orioles' plan for Wells is this year.

Just how many innings are they willing to let him pitch?

If he's in the rotation all year that's ~30 appearances.

I'm surprised they're letting him go 5-6 innings this early.  I was a bit surprised they let him go near 4 in spring training.

It seems to me they are planning on limiting his innings in one fashion or another later in the season.

I suspect they will shut him down once he reaches a total of innings they think is his max.  That would only become an issue if they were still somehow in a pennant race.  Which is unlikely.  

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, accinfo said:

I suspect they will shut him down once he reaches a total of innings they think is his max.  That would only become an issue if they were still somehow in a pennant race.  Which is unlikely.  

Oh, certainly.

I'm just wondering what that number is.

1 hour ago, SilverRocket said:

Is he really on an innings limit, or is it actually a pitch limit? He threw 75 pitches yesterday, which is just a little more than his previous high of 72. If he can keep getting through 6 innings on that, then why not let him throw them.

I'd imagine they have some "formula" that considers both pitch count and innings.  Not all innings are created equal, of course, but simply the up-down act of pitching makes innings the easiest way to track.

At this pace, Wells would throw 134.  If he continues pitching as well as he has recently, that number would almost certainly climb higher.

That seems higher than I would have suspected at the beginning of the year.

18 hours ago, connja said:

I thought I read the number was only like 100 ip or so.  

I wouldn't be surprised to see them go to a 6 man rotation when Grayson and DL get up.

Well, they're going to have shut him down in August at that pace.

A six man rotation makes some sense this year.  Interestingly enough, they seem to be transitioning the pitchers to a a 5 man in AAA before they're ultimately called up.

That would suggest they aren't looking to do that.

2 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Honestly, I didn’t think Wells would hold up like this. I thought it would be a very quick experiment. I’ll take the success even if only for 4 IP. It’s a new game. 

I absolutely felt this way as well, I was just thinking about guys like Daniel Bard who were lock-down relievers and completely fell apart when teams tried to shoehorn them into starters (Bard being one of the most extreme examples).

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/10/2022 at 5:16 PM, sportsfan8703 said:

Honestly, I didn’t think Wells would hold up like this. I thought it would be a very quick experiment. I’ll take the success even if only for 4 IP. It’s a new game. 

It sure is a new game. When Palmer was the same age 27, he started 37 games and had 296 IP.

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...