DL Hall 2022

Tony-OH

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

I don’t disagree with your assessment that Hall is more talented than Bedard, but I think you’re underselling the matter’s talent a bit.  First of all, his plus-plus pitch was a curve, not a slider.   But his fastball also was plus, and he mixed in a cutter that wasn’t overwhelming but kept hitters off balance and kept them from timing his fastball, which was 4-5 mph higher than the cutter.   

Bedard had trouble staying healthy, but his 2007 season was easily the best I’ve seen from an Orioles pitcher since Mussina in his prime.   Good thing Andy had the good sense to cash in.  

It's been a few years, but Bedard's pitch was certainly a sweeping breaking ball. Without statcast data it could be up to interpretation as to whether it was a curve or slider, but I remember slider movement.

His fastball was mostly 91-94, which I guess for a lefty you can call plus. 

Again, i wasn't taking swipes at Bedard who was very good before the injuries derailed his career,  was more talking about how could Hall's stuff is. Bedard had better command though.

51 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Well we know Wells isn’t too long for the rotation.  

My guess is that the rotation by August has Harvey and ZImmerman in it.   You also have to see how Bradish responds to his shoulder issue and how many innings/what role they want Hall in. 

If the Orioles stick to their babying innings count for him this year, you're right about Wells probably either getting shut down or moved to a reliever by the end of the year. They are going to need those two along with probably Harvey and the new guy.

59 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Well we know Wells isn’t too long for the rotation.  

My guess is that the rotation by August has Harvey and ZImmerman in it.   You also have to see how Bradish responds to his shoulder issue and how many innings/what role they want Hall in. 

Judging by the rep on this post, you might have struck a nerve with a relative. I've been there. :)

4 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

His fastball was mostly 91-94

Wow, I remembered it higher but you're right, 92.6 and 91.6 in 2006 and 2007. Velocities have gone up across the board, I suppose, since then, but still, I remembered him having a better fastball. I guess the fact it had good movement was a big part of it. 

I tend to agree with @Frobby, Bedard in 2007 was something to watch, ERA+ of 146. I'll be very pleased if DL Hall reaches his level but I can see the argument for DL being more talented, I guess, now that I check my memory against the stats. 

Just now, Flash- bd said:

Wow, I remembered it higher but you're right, 92.6 and 91.6 in 2006 and 2007. Velocities have gone up across the board, I suppose, since then, but still, I remembered him having a better fastball. I guess the fact it had good movement was a big part of it. 

I tend to agree with @Frobby, Bedard in 2007 was something to watch, ERA+ of 146. I'll be very pleased if DL Hall reaches his level but I can see the argument for DL being more talented, I guess, now that I check my memory against the stats. 

I never said Hall will be better than Bedard for sure, I just said he has better stuff. The command for Hall will determine his long term role in the big leagues. 

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

If the Orioles stick to their babying innings count for him this year, you're right about Wells probably either getting shut down or moved to a reliever by the end of the year. They are going to need those two along with probably Harvey and the new guy.

Right.  Despite getting down voted by the guy who has a poster of Tyler Wells on his ceiling, I think its obvious that he won't be in the rotation for the whole year.  When Hyde said he won't come close to 150 innings, I think that means the writing is on the wall.  I almost wonder if they send him down around the AS break.  

His last start before the AS break is the 15th.  You won't need a 5th starter until July 26.  Could be a way to save some innings.  Maybe you don't even have him start on the 15th.  Maybe you send him down after his next start and just have him throw a few innings to stay sharp?

6 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

Judging by the rep on this post, you might have struck a nerve with a relative. I've been there. :)

He has down voted me several times about Wells.  I think he wants to date him or something.  (not that there is anything wrong with that)

24 minutes ago, Flash- bd said:

Wow, I remembered it higher but you're right, 92.6 and 91.6 in 2006 and 2007. 

I saw those numbers and they are very inconsistent with my recollection.  I think of Bedard as a guy who could sit 94-95 and dial it up to 96-97 on occasion.  The cutter was 90-91.   

Per Fangraphs, at 91.6 Bedard was 27th among 80 qualified starters in FB velocity.   

16 hours ago, Hazmat said:

I can’t link to it but Zachary Silver, a mlb.com reporter, mentioned in a tweet that Hall was concerned he was tipping his pitches.  Since he raised that concern 2 starts ago, Hall has K’d 22 of the 38 batters he’s faced.

That is like Nintendo with all the cheat codes.........

48 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I saw those numbers and they are very inconsistent with my recollection.  I think of Bedard as a guy who could sit 94-95 and dial it up to 96-97 on occasion.  The cutter was 90-91.   

Per Fangraphs, at 91.6 Bedard was 27th among 80 qualified starters in FB velocity.   

Totally agreed, Frobby, that was my recollection as well. I remembered Bedard mostly sitting 93-96 in that period. Perhaps fangraphs included his cutter in that data? 

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

I think its obvious that he won't be in the rotation for the whole year...  I almost wonder if they send him down around the AS break.  

This would rub me, and certainly Wells, the wrong way big time.

I'd rather they move him to closer than send him down. He has been awesome and in no way deserves to be in the minors. 

They do have to manage innings though. I think that's clear. I just think they have to figure out how to do that in the majors. Part of the goal, I think, is to have him pitching for the full season without over doing it on innings. That's tough at the ML level, but I think that's where it happens.

6 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

This would rub me, and certainly Wells, the wrong way big time.

I'd rather they move him to closer than send him down. He has been awesome and in no way deserves to be in the minors. 

They do have to manage innings though. I think that's clear. I just think they have to figure out how to do that in the majors. Part of the goal, I think, is to have him pitching for the full season without over doing it on innings. That's tough at the ML level, but I think that's where it happens.

All you are doing by sending him down is preserving his arm but using his roster space for something else.

Now, I will say this..I wouldn’t do it if it screws up with his service time status.  If it takes away a year of free agency, I think that would be wrong.

But if it doesn’t, I think it’s an idea with merit to get another arm up here and give him essentially a few weeks off.

I think the Os did something like this with Wei Yen Chen years back.

• Downvote 1

They aren't going to send Wells down.

For one thing it would almost certainly result in a grievance being filed by the union if he was down long enough to not get credit for a full season. He is the most successful starter on the team!

I don't know what his innings limit is, but Wells and Hall could both benefit from being in a 6-man rotation, and it isn't like it would harm any of the other pitchers, especially if Lyles is traded at the deadline.

• Upvote 2