DL Hall 2022

Tony-OH

Looking at the game log.

He walked the first batter of the game and it was a 9 pitch at bat.

He then balked that runner over, got a pop out and then a single to score the runner.  He then threw 2 wild pitches and walked another hitter.

So, a balk, 2 walks, 2 WP, 1 run and 18 pitches amongst the first 4 batters.  He also only missed 1 bat in that sequence.

He then had a mound visit and got out of the inning on a one pitch pop out and a swinging strikeout (missed 2 bats in that at bat).

He ended up missing 18 bats, so that wasn’t the problem.

Sounds like he got off to an awful start and then righted the ship.  After the first 4 batters, he gave 1 run, 1 walk and 4 hits, along with the 8 Ks.  That was in 5 innings.

Edited by Sports Guy
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Better outing last night but still some issues.

5.1 and gave up 2 runs and struck out 8. But he also walked 3.

He threw 99 pitches.  He did throw also 65% of them for strikes.  With his stuff, it’s odd to me that he can throw a high percentage of strikes but still have that many walks and be that inefficient with his pitch count/innings pitched.

I have noticed this in other starts too.  Are they fouling a ton of balls off of him?      Is he missing fewer bats? (That would be hard to believe)

Just an odd issue for him to have.  I get it when he had his last outing and threw like 57% for strikes but not when he is mid 60s or higher.

You can actually see the sequence of balls and strikes here.  There is no simple answer.  On the first batter, e.g., he got up 0-2 before walking him on 9 pitches.  In other at-bats, sometimes there are a fair amount of foul balls and sometimes he can't throw strikes.  I was thinking maybe he was falling behind guys, but that really isn't necessarily the case.  He just seems generally pretty all over the place.  Anyone that thinks you could bring him up and he will dominate is nuts.  I understand the idea of bringing him up because you might as well get him the experience, but I suspect in the majors he is going to have a number of outings he gets blown-up on.  He also likely wouldn't be a very reliable reliever since strikes seem to be a big issue for him.  

https://www.milb.com/app-firstpitch/gameday/sounds-vs-tides/2022/08/07/665378/final/box#game_state=final,lock_state=final,game_tab=play-by-play,game=665378

22 minutes ago, baltfan said:

You can actually see the sequence of balls and strikes here.  There is no simple answer.  On the first batter, e.g., he got up 0-2 before walking him on 9 pitches.  In other at-bats, sometimes there are a fair amount of foul balls and sometimes he can't throw strikes.  I was thinking maybe he was falling behind guys, but that really isn't necessarily the case.  He just seems generally pretty all over the place.  Anyone that thinks you could bring him up and he will dominate is nuts.  I understand the idea of bringing him up because you might as well get him the experience, but I suspect in the majors he is going to have a number of outings he gets blown-up on.  He also likely wouldn't be a very reliable reliever since strikes seem to be a big issue for him.  

https://www.milb.com/app-firstpitch/gameday/sounds-vs-tides/2022/08/07/665378/final/box#game_state=final,lock_state=final,game_tab=play-by-play,game=665378

Cionel Perez and Felix Bautista had worse control problems than Hall coming into this season.  

16 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Cionel Perez and Felix Bautista had worse control problems than Hall coming into this season.  

And we didn't think that either of them would be part of a potential wild card race or necessarily think that they would be in high leverage roles.  I don't see a reason to believe that Hall will come up and suddenly start throwing strikes in the MLB.  Now, if we have a starter go down, then he probably should be the next one up unless you want to give Harvey a shot.

The issue with Hall is you don't want to bring him up to sit.  It's questionable who he would replace in the rotation and his value as a reliever is questionable if he struggles to throw strikes, especially if that is an issue early in games.  You can't have him sit the bench because he can't be trusted in high leverage situations given the number of close games this team plays.  I am of the mind that you don't bring him up unless he has a clear role, and it isn't clear that he is better than any of the current starters or would be able to handle a relief role where he is going to get the work that you want him to.  

On 8/3/2022 at 10:11 AM, Can_of_corn said:

Can someone please explain to me this mindset that things can not be worked on in the majors?

At some point he needs to learn how to pitch to ML hitters.  Wouldn't you rather him start making that adjustment now and not in a year they are hoping to contend?

I think going into an offseason with that experience under his belt will only help his future development.

Are you putting him back out there for another start to learn more at the ML level? 

1 minute ago, emmett16 said:

Are you putting him back out there for another start to learn more at the ML level? 

I don't think it makes a difference if he gets the innings in the pen or starting.

I would not have an issue with him having a start at OPACY with Adley catching him.

I think the start today did him more good than harm.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don't think it makes a difference if he gets the innings in the pen or starting.

I would not have an issue with him having a start at OPACY with Adley catching him.

Agree on your last point. 

I think situations matter.  Walking off field on a high note is more teachable than the low note IMO. 

9 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

But if did the tean’s playoff chances more harm than good.   At lesst it came on a day when they didn’t score enough to expect to win.   

I think it is very hard to evaluate his "stuff" when he is making his MLB debut. Let's be honest, he was totally amped up. A relaxed and confident pitcher will throw the ball with a much free-er motion that facilitates spin and velocity. I would submit to you that what we saw in spring training, where he touched 100 mph, may be more reflective of his "stuff."

The kid got his MLB debut done. Now its time to refine the arsenal and get MLB hitters out. I like the idea of him coming out of the BP for the rest of the year. They can match him up in lowish leverage situations and see what he's got. They get film of him facing MLB hitters to study in the off season and they get to limit his innings. All good.

• Upvote 1

Hall has his first relief outing for the Tides following his Baltimore debut: 2 IP, 1 R, 1 ER, 1 H, 3 BB, 4 K’s on 48 pitches, 27 strikes.  

His first inning was scoreless on two walks and three strikeouts.  In his second inning he allowed a single and a walk, then a fly out that advanced both runners, a sac fly and a strikeout to end the inning.  

He really needs to cut down the free passes and become more pitch-efficient. 

• Upvote 2