Tanner Scott and Cole Sulser traded to Marlins

MurphDogg

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

We have had a global pandemic recently right?  I didn't imagine that?

You know, I did!  😜 But that just slowed things down.  It affected the timing, but not the fundamentals of how Elias planned to do things.  The pandemic killed one season and myocarditis had a major impact on one of the key prospects.

1 hour ago, interloper said:

Dunno, probably a few? Doesn't really matter nor does it seem that long to me considering the state the organization was in and the amount of work required to re-establish it as a properly functioning entity with entire departments not existing where they have existed for 20 years in other organizations. I am quite at ease watching this thing be run correctly for the first time in .... quite possibly ever? But stay mad about free agents or whatever. 

2018 to now has seemed interminable to me. Knowing each year that they're going to lose 100+ games and then watching them proceed to do so in a completely hapless, unenjoyable manner has been mind-numbing in a way that watching them from 98-2011 never was, as frustrating as those years inevitably became. 

• Upvote 2

Just now, NCRaven said:

How much more money did Artie Moreno spend to have a loosing record for six straight seasons?  Was it money well spent?  How was an ownership in win now mode better than ours building for the future?

I don't think anyone is suggesting the O's sign Albert Pujols, Josh Hamilton or trade for Justin Upton.

You don't need need the gift of hindsight to think those were bad moves.

I'm not aware of anyone suggesting that the O's make those types of moves.

What the Angels and Rockies are doing is next level stuff.

7 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

You know, I did!  😜 But that just slowed things down.  It affected the timing, but not the fundamentals of how Elias planned to do things.  The pandemic killed one season and myocarditis had a major impact on one of the key prospects.

We were discussing possible impacts on ownership.

I think it is not unreasonable to suggest that the Pandemic could have had an impact there.

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

We were discussing possible impacts on ownership.

I think it is not unreasonable to suggest that the Pandemic could have had an impact there.

The primary impact on ownership was a loss of revenue due to lost games in 2020 and early attendance restrictions in 2021.  I'm not considering the impact of the team being just plain bad on attendance since that would have been the case pandemic or not.  Of course, the loss of revenue in 2020 was offset by the decrease in payroll, but it still hurt, I'm sure.  If your point is that the revenue impact may have affected ownerships willingness to spend, at least through today, I don't disagree.

If anyone can figure out the Rockies plan, God bless them.  The Angels had a plan.  It wasn't a good one, but they had a plan.  The Rockies?  Got me.

32 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

The primary impact on ownership was a loss of revenue due to lost games in 2020 and early attendance restrictions in 2021.  I'm not considering the impact of the team being just plain bad on attendance since that would have been the case pandemic or not.  Of course, the loss of revenue in 2020 was offset by the decrease in payroll, but it still hurt, I'm sure.  If your point is that the revenue impact may have affected ownerships willingness to spend, at least through today, I don't disagree.

Or even going beyond the Orioles and MASN.  How did the pandemic hit the law firm?  If they suddenly had to shift capital over from the team that could have impacted future plans.  We don't know. 

I'm just saying that whatever plan they had when Elias was hired could have been impacted and if it was, it wasn't for the better.

1 hour ago, NCRaven said:

How much more money did Artie Moreno spend to have a loosing record for six straight seasons?  Was it money well spent?  How was an ownership in win now mode better than ours building for the future?

The Angels have ignored the minor leagues and building from within.

The Orioles aren’t doing that, so if they spent now, the situations would be very different.

Regarding the value of the Compensation Round B draft pick, Fangraphs said this about the comp pick Tampa received in the Meadows deal:

“What about the draft pick? Craig Edwards estimated draft pick values in 2019 and came up with a $3.8 million valuation. In prospect terms, that’s akin to a 45 FV pitcher or 40+ FV hitter, again per Craig’s research.”

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/rays-go-full-rays-trade-austin-meadows-to-tigers-for-future-considerations/

For a little more context, Fangraphs graded Arias, Norby, Prieto and Trimble as FV 40+ hitters.   A 45 FV pitcher would slot in between Bradish (45+) and Rom (40+).    

• Upvote 2

From a Rosenthal story in the Athletic:

https://theathletic.com/3230312/2022/04/06/mlb-2022-season-preview/

A Marlins official, asked Sunday what it will take for the team to break out, replied, “a quality center fielder and a closer.” A few hours later, the Marlins traded for Orioles relievers Cole Sulser and Tanner Scott, neither of whom qualifies as an ideal closer, though the payroll-slashing Orioles had planned to use Sulser in that role.

The Athletics’ Ramón Laureano, a potentially strong fit in center, will miss the first 27 games while completing his 80-game suspension for testing positive for an anabolic steroid. At the moment, the A’s seem inclined to hold him, leaving the Marlins with Jesus Sánchez playing center for the first time since 2019, when he was in Triple A.