Sun article bashing cartoon bird

Sports Guy

I like the cartoon bird. Just bought a new cartoon bird hat, as a matter of fact.

I remember how glad everyone here was when it came back. Seemed like we started winning right after the change. Unfortunately, all we do is lose these days. I digress...

I am not one to make an association between something as insignificant as our hat with winning and losing, but I wouldn't mind seeing a change. Going the "classier" route has its appeal to me. Basically, the Friday night hats in all black with an orange script O's would be our version of that. Or something in an all black with an orange script B (kinda like the Baysox hat, but not nearly as loud). 

Again, no problem with the hat at all. Still a big fan. But I'm a huge hat guy (no exaggeration, I have probably 200 59 Fifty hats laying around), and as an adult, the cartoon bird hat is a little childish. Great to wear at the ball park or for yard work. But it's hard to rock a black, white, and orange tri-color hat with a cartoon bird on it in basically ever social situation outside of OPACY.

16 minutes ago, Sanfran327 said:

Great to wear at the ball park or for yard work. But it's hard to rock a black, white, and orange tri-color hat with a cartoon bird on it in basically ever social situation outside of OPACY.

I personally don’t find it hard. I wear what I want and don’t care whether someone dislikes my tri-color hat. That said you’ve got tons of “lifestyle” hat options from ‘47 Brand, New Era, etc. Is your desire to have the primary team cap be one that’s “classier?”

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Dr. Unk said:

People still read that rag?

They started dropping it on my driveway twice a week a few months ago, I guess hoping I might see some value in it and subscribe. 95% of the time it’s straight to the recycle bin. The exception is if my kid gets his hands on it first for the crosswords and comics. 

Edited by DoughBoy52

I think this is mostly tongue-in-cheek. The author doesn't like the cartoon bird, and wanted to make some jokes about it-- but doesn't intend their arguments to be serious. (The Taj Majal paragraph is the giveaway.) To me this is in the it's-satire-but-it's not-obviously-satirical-enough-to-be-entertaining category. 

Stephen Ruddy seems like someone I don't want to interact with. If this is satirical, he's so bad at being satirical that I wouldn't ever be able to tell if something he says is serious or not. And if this is for real and he thinks adults shouldn't wear a cartoon bird, then he just sounds miserable. 

Strange. Of all the things to complain about.

Not that this has anything to do with the article (I guess, didn't read it, just saw exerpts) in 1989 the Orioles ditched the cartoon bird and it seemed appropriate.  Everyone at the time loved the ornithologically correct bird and the new black-themed hats and uniforms.  It was a clean break with the malaise and crapulence of the 1984-88 era.  I wouldn't be opposed to some kind of 2023 uniform and/or logo change signifying a new era of success.

31 minutes ago, Spy Fox said:

I think this is mostly tongue-in-cheek. The author doesn't like the cartoon bird, and wanted to make some jokes about it-- but doesn't intend their arguments to be serious. (The Taj Majal paragraph is the giveaway.) To me this is in the it's-satire-but-it's not-obviously-satirical-enough-to-be-entertaining category. 

Yes, author is a contributor to McSweeney's which is a literary magazine that publishes a lot of humor aimed at "intellectual" types audiences. Some of their stuff can be funny but I am just not getting this one. It could be a kind of next level meta-satire that I am not smart enough to understand. 

48 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Strange. Of all the things to complain about.

Not that this has anything to do with the article (I guess, didn't read it, just saw exerpts) in 1989 the Orioles ditched the cartoon bird and it seemed appropriate.  Everyone at the time loved the ornithologically correct bird and the new black-themed hats and uniforms.  It was a clean break with the malaise and crapulence of the 1984-88 era.  I wouldn't be opposed to some kind of 2023 uniform and/or logo change signifying a new era of success.

Not me. I never liked the ornithologically correct bird on the hat but I did like the rest of the uniform although a bit plain jane. Saying that, I'm a big fan of the all black hat with orange bill and cartoon bird. 

FEmQzVfWQAwuIMR.jpg

• Upvote 3

I think I liked the orintohlogircaylreeally correct bird when it first came out in '89 because...well, it was new.  I was also 8 and didn't know any better.  

But by the mid 90s, I really thought it was kind of lame.  Especially with the tweaks they'd come out with every so often.  I remember for a few years, I think in the early 2000s, it looked more like a pigeon than an Oriole.

It was just so...ugh, boring.  And bland.  And businesslike.  And unoriginal.  Other bird teams like the Blue Jays had that sharp profile of the Jay with the maple leaf but then they went ahead and philanderered with their own cartoon bird before getting back to their  roots.  The Cardinals have the sweet interlocking STL logo.  

But yeah, we were rocking essentially a picture out of a Sibley Guide to Birds book.  

I like the cartoon bird a lot with the black panel and the orange bill like Tony posted above.  Or a black panel, black bill is sweet, too.  I cannot stand the O's Friday night hats, I think they're the worst that we've ever had.