Drew Rom 2022

MurphDogg

36 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

AAA debut a mixed bag - just 1 run and 9 strikeouts in 4.2 innings, but also four walks.

I’d call it pretty good.  2 of the walks were in the final frame, along with a single that knocked in the one run he allowed.  Considering it was his first AAA game, I’m pretty happy with it.  

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

I’d call it pretty good.  2 of the walks were in the final frame, along with a single that knocked in the one run he allowed.  Considering it was his first AAA game, I’m pretty happy with it.  

I'm more disappointed he couldn't complete 5 than happy he struck out 9.

• 3 weeks later...

Rom had a brilliant outing tonight.  7 shutout innings, 3 hits, 2 walks, 7 K’s.  Only threw 92 pitches.  His ERA since his Norfolk promotion is 1.66.  Rom should have at least two outings remaining, possibly three.   Don’t count go out as our MiL pitcher of the year just yet.  

Edited by Frobby
  • Upvote 1

Really encouraging.    Rom is kind of repeating the Westburg thing where flushing some mediocre Bowie stats and starting again from zeros at AAA has let him pretty up the statline.

It is meaningless and arbitrary accounting, but up to 25-8 in his minor league career.    Pitching to the score isn't a thing, right?   :)

Link is 2022 Norfolk Arms with 20 innings - he's close to Hall/Baumann in second tier behind Grayson/Vespi in K-BB%

https://www.fangraphs.com/leaders/minor-league?pos=all&level=0&lg=2&stats=pit&qual=20&type=1&team=26&season=2022&seasonEnd=2022&org=&ind=0&splitTeam=false&players=&sort=11,1

• Upvote 2

18 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

I'll need to go back and watch his last couple of starts to see how he's getting his outs, including his WHIFF. I'm hoping to see he's doing it with some changeups but his change in Bowie was quite terrible.

Look at the pitch at the 13-14 second mark.  Looks like a really good changeup. 4th pitch in sequence.

Edited by RZNJ
  • Upvote 2