Colton Cowser 2022

ShoelesJoe

2 minutes ago, Jammer7 said:

I wanted Lawler at the time of the draft too. It’s too early to say that Cowser was a bad pick. After two months, that’s silly, honestly. There is a long way to go.

Lawler was thought to have a slow bat compared to other elite bats by many teams last year. He had a lot of swing and miss as well. Lawler had a shoulder injury last season that shut him down shortly after signing. There were many factors into the decision, the bonus demands were part of the equation.

Development is a process. Cowser does not seem to have taken to the Orioles philosophy thus far. It may just be poor communication by the coaches. We’ll see what happens with this. Personally, I think Cowser will hit for high average, high OBP and average power. More 2B than HR, gap to gap type power. 

My bigger issue is people making endless excuses for the franchise when they know better….. instead of calling them fair and holding poor decisions accountable. 

Unfortunately,  even if Lawlar flames it in AA and Cowser becomes an all-star, Nelson will insist it proves nothing and that Lawlar should have been the pick.  He's right and Elias is wrong no matter what happens.  Lol

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, NelsonCruuuuuz said:

My bigger issue is people making endless excuses for the franchise when they know better….. instead of calling them fair and holding poor decisions accountable. 

You have to accept that some fans are just that, fans. They are are always going to think their team is doing things the right way no matter what. I give them the facts and let them then make their excuses. lol

• Confused 1

6 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

You have to accept that some fans are just that, fans. They are are always going to think their team is doing things the right way no matter what. I give them the facts and let them then make their excuses. lol

This would not be as insulting to most of the board if you had just posted it without quoting Nelson.  LOL

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, NelsonCruuuuuz said:

GMs make bad decisions all the time but the reluctance to call this one out boggles my mind. 

It's not a reluctance to call it out.  It's the fact that the story has barely started to be written.  It would be like the 2005 Orioles holding a parade at the end of May.  We all know how that season turned out.

Right now, sure, I'd rather have Lawler than Cowser.  No one takes issue with your opinion on that.  But the book on either is far from finished.  

7 hours ago, RZNJ said:

Unfortunately,  even if Lawlar flames it in AA and Cowser becomes an all-star, Nelson will insist it proves nothing and that Lawlar should have been the pick.  He's right and Elias is wrong no matter what happens.  Lol

Well, I agree with him if the premise of his argument is that you take BpA.  I believe they passed on a higher player on their board to take a cheaper option to do other stuff later.  I think that’s poor and to me, even if Cowser turns out to be the better player, I will judge the process and not result.

For me, it really has nothing to do with Cowser himself.  It’s the totality of everything that bothers me.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Well, I agree with him if the premise of his argument is that you take BpA.  I believe they passed on a higher player on their board to take a cheaper option to do other stuff later.  I think that’s poor and to me, even if Cowser turns out to be the better player, I will judge the process and not result.

For me, it really has nothing to do with Cowser himself.  It’s the totality of everything that bothers me.

Results matter.  

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Results matter.  

Sure, they do…but so does the process.  So does the idea that you were losing games on purpose and the only advantage in doing that is the draft and when you get that high pick, you don’t take the top guy.  It all matters.

Elias took Cowser to save money, I have an issue with that.

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Sure, they do…but so does the process.  So does the idea that you were losing games on purpose and the only advantage in doing that is the draft and when you get that high pick, you don’t take the top guy.  It all matters.

Elias took Cowser to save money, I have an issue with that.

Well for starters I agree with you (I think) that there is no reason to be tanking for as long as the Orioles have done so.

That said, you say that the only advantage is getting the high pick.  Elias would argue that having the higher draft pool as a total is more important, regardless of how he allocates that.  We'll have to see how it plays out.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Jammer7 said:

That’s the thing. Who is to say this was a poor decision? You? Based on two months? You’re not serious, right? No credible source judges a draft decision on such early returns. If you want to, that’s on you. Most here won’t take you seriously. 

A draft takes a few years to judge, maybe 3-5. They spread the draft pool allotment out to get more depth. Over slots Rhodes and Willems have to be added to the equation when discussing this. Some would prefer the higher ceiling player over several slightly lower ceiling players with a higher floor. It isn’t the sexy approach, but it is the way Elias chose to build the organization depth up. That is what the Cardinals and Astros did.

The Lawler things gets old. We get it. Let’s take a look back in a few years, and then, you can say you told us so, and we’ll move on. Or, maybe we look back and it worked out and you can say you were wrong, and we’ll move on. Either way, I think most of us seem to prefer we talk mostly about the players the Orioles have in house. 

Thank you. 

10 minutes ago, glenn__davis said:

Well for starters I agree with you (I think) that there is no reason to be tanking for as long as the Orioles have done so.

That said, you say that the only advantage is getting the high pick.  Elias would argue that having the higher draft pool as a total is more important, regardless of how he allocates that.  We'll have to see how it plays out.

Hits nail on head.  Elias' process will be judged on the results.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, RZNJ said:

This would not be as insulting to most of the board if you had just posted it without quoting Nelson.  LOL

I don't always agree with him either and I know he has his established views, but when I agree with him, I agree with him just like if I agree with anyone else. 

52 minutes ago, glenn__davis said:

Well I said the advantage is the draft…the pool is part of that but again, most of the extra money in a pool is for the higher pick.  

When you are in position to take the top talent, you take it.  Hoping that some 4th round HS kid pans out while passing on the better talent early on is poor imo.  That’s where I have the issue.  It’s the whole process, from the losing to gain the draft advantage and then not taking advantage of that advantage (imo) that makes the process an issue and why it can be judged now.

The results definitely matter but just because you jump off a building and live doesn’t mean you keep doing it.