Jordan Westburg 2022

Just Regular

6 minutes ago, glenn__davis said:

Regardless of what may or may not have been said about Westburg prior to the draft (and I also don't remember hearing any such thing), there have been multiple glowing reports about his leadership and clubhouse role since joining the organization.  I do not think his makeup is a concern at all.

Agreed.  I don't think its a concern at all.  Was just saying that I remember something along those lines being said and that is why the 285 college BA didn't bother me.

Of course, maybe I'm off on what I thought I heard.

Either way, his college BA isn't something I am concerned about now.

17 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I can assure I am not making it up.  I definitely remember hearing it(I don't think I'm going crazy?).  

BTW, I don't look at it as a negative.  I think once a guy knows he is ready to move on, that some complacency can set in and you start to look ahead. That was how I read it at the time I heard it.

It wouldn't be a negative if a college player acted bored or complacent like he was already thinking about his pro career?  You're really going to try and sell that?

Doesn't even make any sense.  Not only should a player be motivated by helping his team win, he would be motivated to have a great season to improve his draft position, ie make more money.

11 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

MAYBE you're OFF on what you THOUGHT you heard?

So, no link?

No, I can't find anything. I will retract that statement.  Really feel like I heard that from multiple people but the people I thought I heard it from don't have anything about it in writing, so maybe I dreamt it or something.  Or I heard it on the radio or in a broadcast or something. 

But if I can't find the info to back it up, it shouldn't be out there.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Either way, his college BA isn't something I am concerned about now.

I mean, I get it if they think the tools are legit and the college BA isn't something to really worry about.  But I can't help but think it's a bit of a warning sign.  I think it would be odd to expect someone to be a good to great hitter in the pros if he hasn't been elite in college.

Adley's college line:  .353/.473/.559

Andrew Vaughn:  .374/.495/.688 

Nick Madrigal:  .361/.422/.502

Alex Bregman: .337/.409/.514

Kris Bryant:  .353/.487/.702

Michael Conforto:  .340/.462/.557

George Springer:  .343/.450/.608

Kyle Schwarber: .334/.432/.619

Anthony Rendon:  .327/.520/.523

Trea Turner:  .342/.435/.507

Dansby Swanson:  .330/.418/.541

Kjerstad:  .343/.421/.590

Granted, all of these guys went significantly higher in the first round then Westburg did, but there appears to be a bit of a delta between these guys and Westburg's .285/.385/.446 line.

But Elias' strategy of taking as many middle infielders from big conference schools is a sound one, overall, IMO.  Maybe he pans out, maybe he doesn't but I'm not getting my hopes up.

1 minute ago, Moose Milligan said:

I mean, I get it if they think the tools are legit and the college BA isn't something to really worry about.  But I can't help but think it's a bit of a warning sign.  I think it would be odd to expect someone to be a good to great hitter in the pros if he hasn't been elite in college.

Adley's college line:  .353/.473/.559

Andrew Vaughn:  .374/.495/.688 

Nick Madrigal:  .361/.422/.502

Alex Bregman: .337/.409/.514

Kris Bryant:  .353/.487/.702

Michael Conforto:  .340/.462/.557

George Springer:  .343/.450/.608

Kyle Schwarber: .334/.432/.619

Anthony Rendon:  .327/.520/.523

Trea Turner:  .342/.435/.507

Dansby Swanson:  .330/.418/.541

Kjerstad:  .343/.421/.590

Granted, all of these guys went significantly higher in the first round then Westburg did, but there appears to be a bit of a delta between these guys and Westburg's .285/.385/.446 line.

But Elias' strategy of taking as many middle infielders from big conference schools is a sound one, overall, IMO.  Maybe he pans out, maybe he doesn't but I'm not getting my hopes up.

Well he did have some swing and miss in his game and I saw one report that talked about him being pull happy.

I would assume, like any other hitter, he can get into bad tendencies.  The question is how long will they last and what is his ability to adjust like?  He started off slow in AA last year and then was really good and now he is sh!tty again.  Let's see how he adjusts.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Not caring may be a poor choice of words.  Maybe bored is better.  I remember hearing things along those lines although I can’t find any links to it right now.  I don’t think I dreamt it? Lol

Not only do I not remember hearing that, but I have heard some very good things about his makeup and work ethic.  But I’m not saying that nobody said what you recall.   It’s just news to me, and there’s certainly contrary information out there.  

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Frobby said:

Not only do I not remember hearing that, but I have heard some very good things about his makeup and work ethic.  But I’m not saying that nobody said what you recall.   It’s just news to me, and there’s certainly contrary information out there.  

I heard on a podcast from a former coach that he was a great locker room presence. It was during a convo that wasn’t otherwise about Westburg.

It was recalling him in the Os org last season, so it wasn’t old news.

• Upvote 1

I don't know what meaning to attach to this but I was looking at Westburg's stats from last year and comparing to this year.   His OPS against RHP's this year is .881 and it's only .395 against LHP's.   Last year, there was no such problem against LHP's.    Last year he as HBP 15 times.   This year, so far, 0.    Again, these numbers may mean nothing, just that I noticed them.   Hopefully, he's two games into a hot streak.

14 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

I don't know what meaning to attach to this but I was looking at Westburg's stats from last year and comparing to this year.   His OPS against RHP's this year is .881 and it's only .395 against LHP's.   Last year, there was no such problem against LHP's.    Last year he as HBP 15 times.   This year, so far, 0.    Again, these numbers may mean nothing, just that I noticed them.   Hopefully, he's two games into a hot streak.

Two very notable stats. Both seem flukey in a SSS. I don’t think we need to worry about Mayo, Cowser, or Westburg, just because their OPS dropped under .800.