Jordan Westburg 2022

Just Regular

1 hour ago, LookinUp said:

I think people are sleeping on the "star gets first pick" way that teams do things. Henderson will likely be the SS next year, IMO. He's the star. He's not going to be happy about going to a less valuable position, and even if he's a great guy, teams aren't going to want to do that.

So Henderson will be SS, which means Mateo essentially has to go or be a UIF. Ortiz at 2B eventually and Urias/Westburg at 3B. 

We certainly didn't do things that way 10 years ago.   Manny had played exclusively shortstop in the miniors, and he had a few super secret workouts at 3B and within a couple days he was up in the majors starting at 3B.    Because we had Hardy at SS.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, SteveA said:

We certainly didn't do things that way 10 years ago.   Manny had played exclusively shortstop in the miniors, and he had a few super secret workouts at 3B and within a couple days he was up in the majors starting at 3B.    Because we had Hardy at SS.

And then they moved him to SS when FA started getting closer. 

Gunnar will be a SS. Moving him to 3B will cost him millions of dollars. Maybe tens of millions.

Just now, LookinUp said:

Gunnar will be a SS. Moving him to 3B will cost him millions of dollars. Maybe tens of millions.

He’ll be whatever the O’s want him to be.  And make plenty of money doing it. 

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

It will be the same for Holliday, won't it?  So one of either Henderson or Holliday will either have to take a pay cut and pay something other than shortstop for the Orioles, or he will look for another team that will pay him shortstop money to pay short.  Are the Os going to have to choose which guy they want to keep?  

Speaking of being unhappy, I wonder how Mateo would react to being a utility player after this year.   You might say too bad, but I think Mateo needs to be traded if he's not the starting SS next year.    Henderson may very well be the SS next year.   There are many possibilities.   Whether it's OD next year or OD 2024, you could make a case for:

3B Henderson

SS Ortiz

2B Westburg

Or

3B Westburg

SS Henderson

2B Ortiz

There are so many variations especially when you factor Mateo, Urias, and Norby into the picture.     

19 minutes ago, Yossarian said:

It will be the same for Holliday, won't it?  So one of either Henderson or Holliday will either have to take a pay cut and pay something other than shortstop for the Orioles, or he will look for another team that will pay him shortstop money to pay short.  Are the Os going to have to choose which guy they want to keep?  

Unless they're able to lock at least one up early, yes.

4 hours ago, RZNJ said:

Speaking of being unhappy, I wonder how Mateo would react to being a utility player after this year.   You might say too bad, but I think Mateo needs to be traded if he's not the starting SS next year.    Henderson may very well be the SS next year.   There are many possibilities.   Whether it's OD next year or OD 2024, you could make a case for:

3B Henderson

SS Ortiz

2B Westburg

Or

3B Westburg

SS Henderson

2B Ortiz

There are so many variations especially when you factor Mateo, Urias, and Norby into the picture.     

I'm wondering if Elias might think Mateo has peaked and tries to include him in a deal for pitching. With Gunnar showing he belongs, Mateo just might be expendable. 

5 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Shouldn't Westburg be an easy plug in at 2B next year?  I'm at the point where we might as well just call him up now and let him get his feet wet.  

My guess is Urias plays second next year. I would give Ortiz the edge at second with all I've read about his defense, plus he's hit better at Norfolk.

30 minutes ago, WI O’s Fan said:

I believe with his athleticism you go with Henderson at ss and Westburg at 2nd.  The O’s reach deep into their coffers and sign Boegarts to a 6 year 210 deal with a 2 year opt out.

Are you saying sign Boegarts and move him to 3B? He hasn’t played 3B since a handful of games in 2013. 

1 hour ago, WI O’s Fan said:

I believe with his athleticism you go with Henderson at ss and Westburg at 2nd.  The O’s reach deep into their coffers and sign Boegarts to a 6 year 210 deal with a 2 year opt out.

I believe a team whose very best prospects are infielders are not going to invest big dollars in players like Xander Bogaerts and Shea Turner.

1 hour ago, connja said:

I'm picking Westburg as the prospect most likely to be traded this winter.

I dont see it.  I think there is a better chance Mateo gets traded for lowly prospects and move on.   Gunnar goes to SS,  Westburg to Third and perhaps Ortiz gets Second if he looks solid in spring training.   

Only can see this trade if it is in some package trying to get a top of the rotation pitcher.  Then all bets are off I guess.