Felix Bautista 2022

Just Regular

On 10/1/2022 at 2:45 AM, OriolesMagic83 said:

100 years ago, if the O's made the playoffs (0bviously would have been the Browns), I could see someone like Odor getting MVP votes for all the big hits he has had plus his veteranosity and leadership.  Mateo might win it if no one was having a Judge type year.

I think the most mediocre offensive season I can remember from a position player MVP  was Zoilo Versailles in 1965.  He won the MVP while batting .273/.319/.462 with 19 homers and 77 RBI.   That was good for ah OPS+ of 115.He did lead the league in PA, AB, runs (126), doubles (45), triples (12), total bases (308) and strikeouts.   By rWAR, he was pretty deserving, earning 7.2.

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

I think the most mediocre offensive season I can remember from a position player MVP  was Zoilo Versailles in 1965.  He won the MVP while batting .273/.319/.462 with 19 homers and 77 RBI.   That was good for ah OPS+ of 115.He did lead the league in PA, AB, runs (126), doubles (45), triples (12), total bases (308) and strikeouts.   By rWAR, he was pretty deserving, earning 7.2.

Other relatively poor offensive seasons by MVPs (note, they didn't have an MVP every year prior to 1931 and not at all prior to 1911):

Dick Groat , '60, won the batting title but had two homers and 39 walks, 110 OPS+.

Nellie Fox, 114 OPS+, two homers, five steals in '59.

Marty Marion, 90 OPS+, six homers, one steal, 43 walks, in '44.

The aforementioned Roger Peckinpaugh season with a 91 OPS+ in 126 games in '25.

Bob O'Farrell, 112 OPS+ in '26.  Got the catcher bonus.

Johnny Evers, 113 OPS+, one homer, .338 SLG in '14.

Also there was the Verlander MVP season where he went 0-for-4 with three strikeouts.