The LF wall tracker

OsEatAlEast

It may have been mentioned, but right field in the old Yankee Stadium had that really low wall / fence. Here's Frank Robinson nearly breaking his neck going into the stands for one.  And he makes the catch, much to the irritation of the Yankee skipper. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, NashLumber said:

It may have been mentioned, but right field in the old Yankee Stadium had that really low wall / fence. Here's Frank Robinson nearly breaking his neck going into the stands for one.  And he makes the catch, much to the irritation of the Yankee skipper. 

Remember that one.

20 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'm a bit supposed he made a public statement about it.

It’s kind of obvious.   Is there a hitter alive who’d prefer to have the fence moved back 30 feet and raised 5 feet?  I don’t feel Mancini was out on a limb here.   

Ask the pitchers what they think.   

• Upvote 2

It seemed in the first inning last night the Yankees righthanders were avoiding left field altogether. Why bother playing long ball to left. The first two hits (after 2 outs) were two ground balls beating the shift. Donaldson's in particular...hit'em where they ain't. Likewise, the double was off field and well hit. Are severe shifts for righthanded swingers is a great defensive plan with our left field dimensions? The big boys will still go for the bombs, but some will adjust and go off field more.

I think this is one of the more underrated decisions that Elias and his brass have made in his time here.  I think 10 years from now it will be seen as quite brilliant.  It seems quite obvious to me that a big part of his rebuild strategy is to draft bats, and acquire established pitchers.   He (correctly) figured that it will be much easier to entice free agent pitchers to come here if OPACY is seen as a pitcher's park.    Prior to 2022 I believe OPACY was measured to be the most HR prone park in the majors?   I think it was smart to do something about that.

• Upvote 3

12 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

Not crazy about the wall but understand why they did it. Don't like having to pay for it.

A lot of what they have been doing bothers me.

Let’s imagine Adley gets called up tomorrow. Can’t even go watch him take batting practice because the gates open only an hour before the game. Too cheap to pay already low paid employees another hour? 

1 hour ago, Aglets said:

I think this is one of the more underrated decisions that Elias and his brass have made in his time here.  I think 10 years from now it will be seen as quite brilliant.  It seems quite obvious to me that a big part of his rebuild strategy is to draft bats, and acquire established pitchers.   He (correctly) figured that it will be much easier to entice free agent pitchers to come here if OPACY is seen as a pitcher's park.    Prior to 2022 I believe OPACY was measured to be the most HR prone park in the majors?   I think it was smart to do something about that.

Source?

Ultimately both teams have to play here, overall I don't think it will make a huge difference.

The one thing I do see as a possibility is that pitchers will be able to pitch longer during their outings which should lower the overall wear on the bullpen.

How much is that worth?  Probably not a lot but in a particular season maybe it's got a butterfly's wings chance of being a big deal.

1 hour ago, Aglets said:

I don't believe the park has ever had a significant impact on an attempt to sign a pitcher. No pitcher that I'm aware of has ever turned down a best offer from the O's because they didn't like the park. And no pitcher is going to give the O's a discount because they like the new wall. They'll sign pitchers when they make contract offers competitive with the rest of the market, regardless of where the LF wall is.

• Upvote 1