The LF wall tracker

OsEatAlEast

19 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Chirinos lost a homer to the new dimensions for the second consecutive night.   But Hays cleared it.  

I'm having to re-learn my hopeful eyebrow raise on high drives to LF before they cutaway from the CF camera angle because of the new wall. Chrinos' F7 was definitely gone last year (and a few rows deep), but it faked me out this early in the season. He put a charge into it for sure though. 

I'll get a feel for after a few more weeks.

19 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

Both of Mountcastle's HR were crushed.  Were they both to RF?  Anyway, it would be deflating if either of those HR was kept in by the park.

I believe the first was to straightaway center.

Seems right now that the balls that are hit really well go out, the others not so much. I think we got used to every fly ball hit well going out. Hate watching good outfielders tracking fly balls thinking they have it and they get to wall and watch it carry five feet over. Hope the term warning "track power" comes back. Warm weather is coming, waiting to see what happens then.

• Upvote 1

On 5/4/2022 at 11:21 PM, OriolesMagic83 said:

Home runs are ok, I prefer triples.  This new left field wall is going to make more triples.

But not many more.  I would have to do some research, but I'd guess that 75, 80% or more triples are hit to RC or RF.  A few months ago I looked up all the triples hit to LF at OPACY before the wall change and almost all of them involved the fielder making a poor choice, such as diving at an uncatchable ball that flies by, or sprinting to the fence only to have it rebound a long way past him towards the infield.

I would love to get back to an environment where triples and even inside-the-park homers could happen with some regularity without a fielder falling down or colliding with something.

34 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

But not many more.  I would have to do some research, but I'd guess that 75, 80% or more triples are hit to RC or RF.  A few months ago I looked up all the triples hit to LF at OPACY before the wall change and almost all of them involved the fielder making a poor choice, such as diving at an uncatchable ball that flies by, or sprinting to the fence only to have it rebound a long way past him towards the infield.

I would love to get back to an environment where triples and even inside-the-park homers could happen with some regularity without a fielder falling down or colliding with something.

I agree.  Triples are about 10x more exciting than HR.  The O's just need to move the wall back in RF.  I think it will be tough to move back the RF line wall, but move the wall back at the end of the RF line wall.  Another corner!

48 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

I agree.  Triples are about 10x more exciting than HR.  The O's just need to move the wall back in RF.  I think it will be tough to move back the RF line wall, but move the wall back at the end of the RF line wall.  Another corner!

Screw it, let's just remove all the outfield seats. Remove the flag court and make those bums have to hit the ball on Eutaw St if they want a home run. Make them have to clear the batters eye in center. Make them have to get it in the second deck in left. And make the wall angle every 10 ft. Nothing but corners, as far as the eye can see! 

9 minutes ago, deward said:

Screw it, let's just remove all the outfield seats. Remove the flag court and make those bums have to hit the ball on Eutaw St if they want a home run. Make them have to clear the batters eye in center. Make them have to get it in the second deck in left. And make the wall angle every 10 ft. Nothing but corners, as far as the eye can see! 

I was thinking about the continually corrugated outfield wall too!  Great idea.

1 hour ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Sounds like the original dimensions of Braves Field in Boston.  It was 402-550-402.  There were years where no one hit a ball over the fence.

Or Griffith Stadium in DC in the 1920s.  In 1927 Goose Goslin hit all 17 of his home runs on the road.

You really are the most wonderful source of information about old-time baseball.   I don’t thank you nearly often enough for the tidbits you routinely throw out for us to consume.   

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

I agree.  Triples are about 10x more exciting than HR. 

That makes sense since homers happen, on average, about 10x (or 9x) more often than triples the last few years.

I agree it’s a lot more exciting watching Mateo trying to beat the throw to third base than it is watching some Steve Balboni type get winded going between first and second on his lazy home run jog. 

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Sounds like the original dimensions of Braves Field in Boston.  It was 402-550-402.  There were years where no one hit a ball over the fence.

Or Griffith Stadium in DC in the 1920s.  In 1927 Goose Goslin hit all 17 of his home runs on the road.

If only there was the internet then.  I can't imagine the angst that Boston Braves hitters would have expressed.

7 hours ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

If only there was the internet then.  I can't imagine the angst that Boston Braves hitters would have expressed.

I think it was considered unseemly, maybe even unmanly, to complain that your home park wasn't tailored to your specific wants.  If the little whiners want closer fences maybe they should go back to digging ditches or joining the Army instead of being paid to play ball.

• Upvote 1