Interesting catching tidbit from Hyde

interloper

“We’re putting importance on working ahead in the count, so we are setting up more in the middle part of the plate than we have in the past,” Hyde said. “You see a lot of teams doing that now, especially with stuff guys who are letting it play on the white part of the plate, and so far, so good with our guys. We’re throwing a lot more strikes, we’re forcing action. Keegan (Akin) is a prime example of that.

“You are going to give up possibly more hits, but you also have eight defenders and we’re forcing action with guys swinging the bat and not being deep counts, behind in the count, nibbling. We’re trying to eliminate the nibble and trying to go after guys.”

Thought this was interesting. Palmer loves to talk about aiming for the middle and letting your stuff play. I guess the league is catching up to ol' Jim finally. 

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Il BuonO said:

I hate guys who nibble. Trust your stuff and see if it plays, if not farewell. 

I love nibbling when it works.  Hate it when it doesn’t.  Same is true for throwing over the plate and daring hitters to hit it.  Whatever works!

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

I love nibbling when it works.  Hate it when it doesn’t.  Same is true for throwing over the plate and daring hitters to hit it.  Whatever works!

Yeah, there’s a difference between a guy who nibbles at the corners because his stuff isn’t good enough and the guy who has even mediocre stuff, but excellent command. 

2 minutes ago, spiritof66 said:

Hyde says "You see a lot of teams doing that now." Some day, I'd like to hear about a strategy or idea that the Orioles had before other teams.  Something that would give them a competitive advantage, rather than just prevent them from falling further behind. 

Got a couple of books for you.

https://www.amazon.com/Weaver-Strategy-Classic-Managing-Baseball/dp/1574884247/ref=sr_1_1?crid=2NWNZXJ1ZINE8&keywords=weaver+on+strategy&qid=1649986148&sprefix=weaver+on+%2Caps%2C113&sr=8-1

https://tht.fangraphs.com/book-review-the-wizard-of-waxahachie/

It's an interesting strategy. It goes against what has been said for decades, but it makes sense for guys who just throw hard who might not have the best control. Instead of nibbling, just let it rip. But I wonder how this will impact arm injuries and also how much of this is based on "the crackdown."

On a side note, I remember some complaints from last season when Wynns was catching and would "move around" during the wind up and sometimes set up low (while Severino just wouldn't move unless the ball went directly to his glove.)

If he was instructed to do that (since he never did that in the Minors, ever), maybe they saw it didn't help or had some complaints about it as it WAS weird, maybe this was their way of correcting it?

1 hour ago, spiritof66 said:

Hyde says "You see a lot of teams doing that now." Some day, I'd like to hear about a strategy or idea that the Orioles had before other teams.  Something that would give them a competitive advantage, rather than just prevent them from falling further behind. 

That would kinda be the thing they would keep proprietary, no?