Roki Sasaki

joelala

Ok, I’ll go ahead and start the thread. Do we think we’ll be seriously in on the bidding for him when he posts? 

For those that don’t know, Sasaki is a 20 year old Japanese pitcher who is perfect through his first 17 IP this year in the Nippon Professional Baseball League.  

I’m sure he’ll end up in New York or LA, but we can dream. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, joelala said:

Ok, I’ll go ahead and start the thread. Do we think we’ll be seriously in on the bidding for him when he posts? 

For those that don’t know, Sasaki is a 20 year old Japanese pitcher who is perfect through his first 17 IP this year in the Nippon Professional Baseball League.  

Not his first 17, his last 17.

Japan didn't have a lockout, he's had four starts.

His stats.

https://npb.jp/bis/eng/players/31035151.html

No I don't think they will.

18 minutes ago, joelala said:

No …we are too cheap to pay for our commentators to travel to do away broadcasts. We are not paying posting fee high enough to be competitive. A sale of the team is the possible exception. But he’s 20 so I doubt he will be posted for at very least 2-3 years.

5 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

No …we are too cheap to pay for our commentators to travel to do away broadcasts. We are not paying posting fee high enough to be competitive. A sale of the team is the possible exception. But he’s 20 so I doubt he will be posted for at very least 2-3 years.

I love how they didn't even bother making a presentation for Ohtani.

Yea, I know he wasn't going to sign here but you got to at least make an effort right?

It would not be in his financial best interest to come over before he hits 25 (up from 23).

2 hours ago, seak05 said:

He's not going to ask to be posted until he's 25 (in 2027). And then yeah, even if the Orioles made an offer (lol), he's likely to go somewhere with an existing Japanese population....which isn't Baltimore 

I'm not up on their current CBA but he might very well be a free agent by 25.

7 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'm not up on their current CBA but he might very well be a free agent by 25.

I just went and looked because I was curious. Basically under current MLB CBA rules, if you sign before your 6th year of pro-ball/under age 25 you are subject to the international draft pool rules, same as the 16yo's. On the other hand if you sign after your 6th pro season or you're 25, you are essentially a free agent, and can sign for whatever contract you can get. As to the specifics with the Japanese posting system, if they sign before the 6th year it's a flat 20% to the Japanese team, if after the 6th year, it's a sliding percentage based on the value of the contract. 

h/t cbssports for breaking it down https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/roki-sasaki-scouting-report-what-to-know-about-japanese-phenom-his-possible-mlb-debut-date-and-elite-heat/

Edited by seak05

14 hours ago, seak05 said:

I just went and looked because I was curious. Basically under current MLB CBA rules, if you sign before your 6th year of pro-ball/under age 25 you are subject to the international draft pool rules, same as the 16yo's.

This is what Ohtani did though, right?  Effectively giving up on a lot more money to come over sooner.

Also, I think the the new labor deal could still change these rules.  It's cool that even after 100+ years of baseball you have players still doing things never been done before.  Hopefully this guy lasts longer in his top form than Kerry Wood did.

The talking heads were all upset that Sasaki was taken out of his 2nd straight perfect game.  If the O's had a once in a lifetime pitcher dominating the majors at 20, no way should they jeopardize his arm and career for a great game.  The experts said if it was Kershaw, they could understand taking him out because he has had a lot of arm injuries.  I have the opposite take, I would want the manager to consult with Kershaw and let him continue if he felt ok.  Kershaw has already had a Hall of Fame career, Sasaki is just starting his.