Ramon Urias 2022

Pushmonkey

I was thinking the same thing. Urias looks like a MLB player and like a guy who has figured it out. If not for his early slump he’d be flirting with .300 AVG with a 350 OBP. 

So with Vavra, Henderson, and Westburg looming at AAA there has to be a valuable trade chip. That unless you see one of these guys as a a utility guy. It can’t be Urias since he really doesn’t have the arm for SS. 

Obviously, there is no guarantee that all three will hit in the majors especially right away and Urias is doing it now. Plus his power numbers are better (3 more homeruns in 50 less at bats. Plus his strikeout percentage is down around 4%. He is walking less also which you’d like to see come around. 

Lots of control …. Do you keep him or clear the way for the guys at AAA. Obviously there are other guys you could clear after this season in Odor, Arauz, Nevin, and Mateo if he doesn’t get the average/OBP up. If nothing else Mateo could be your utility player with plus value due to his speed and base stealing value.

Edited by Roll Tide
  • Upvote 1

Urias and Mateo vs. Westburg in power rankings for the other starting roles with Mountcastle and Gunnar most of next year on the dirt is looking like a good race.

Between going SS over CF at 1-1, and Urias and Mateo thriving, the need to buy a decent starting infielder for next year's team feels a lot less than it has felt most of the year.    I had been projecting both Urias and Mateo to bench roles next year even if we only gave an Enrique Hernandez type player a Jordan Lyles Adult in the Room kind of contract, never mind anything much more interesting.

If Urias-Mateo continue to play like regulars you'd actually want to play in 2023, there's not much for $$$ to do than buy pitching.    Beyond Musgrove, I don't see even a McCullers-level pitcher out there among this offseason's free agents.    It might be fun to watch Elias decline Lyles' flattery option, and then be like, "You know, we still want you.   How's another $6M?     And an $18M option for 2024, because we love you."

1 hour ago, Roll Tide said:

I was thinking the same thing. Urias looks like a MLB player and like a guy who has figured it out. If not for his early slump he’d be flirting with .300 AVG with a 350 OBP. 

So with Vavra, Henderson, and Westburg looming at AAA there has to be a valuable trade chip. That unless you see one of these guys as a a utility guy. It can’t be Urias since he really doesn’t have the arm for SS. 

Obviously, there is no guarantee that all three will hit in the majors especially right away and Urias is doing it now. Plus his power numbers are better (3 more homeruns in 50 less at bats. Plus his strikeout percentage is down around 4%. He is walking less also which you’d like to see come around. 

Lots of control …. Do you keep him or clear the way for the guys at AAA. Obviously there are other guys you could clear after this season in Odor, Arauz, Nevin, and Mateo if he doesn’t get the average/OBP up. If nothing else Mateo could be your utility player with plus value due to his speed and base stealing value.

I’d keep him. Vavra is no sure thing. I think he’s still only played in approximately 100 games above low a ball. I like Vavra, but I’m not penciling him in, or trading Urias for him. 

Urias is our starting 2B next year as of now. 

Im glad he’s healthy. Obviously, that core injury was a pain. 

4 hours ago, Just Regular said:

If Urias-Mateo continue to play like regulars you'd actually want to play in 2023, there's not much for $$$ to do than buy pitching.    Beyond Musgrove, I don't see even a McCullers-level pitcher out there among this offseason's free agents.    It might be fun to watch Elias decline Lyles' flattery option, and then be like, "You know, we still want you.   How's another $6M?     And an $18M option for 2024, because we love you."

I agree, with our depth at both IF and OF even before the '22 draftees, it is starting to look like most of our needs could be covered from within. That opens up potentially trading for pitching using players like Vavra and Prieto. I hope we are in on Clevinger and Manaea. One of those guys along with Grayson and Means could give us a playoff type of rotation with a payroll under $70M. 

Man, is this for real?  He's been on FIRE since coming back from the DL.  Do we think this is legit?  I know SSS and all of that, but he's just looking great.  While I know we've got some great young talent in the minors for the infield, but if Urias keeps playing like this I don't know how you push him off 3rd base.  

23 minutes ago, forphase1 said:

Man, is this for real?  He's been on FIRE since coming back from the DL.  Do we think this is legit?  I know SSS and all of that, but he's just looking great.  While I know we've got some great young talent in the minors for the infield, but if Urias keeps playing like this I don't know how you push him off 3rd base.  

Not sure why people are surprised by this.  He has always been a hitter.  

2 minutes ago, forphase1 said:

He's never hit like this.  He's been solid in the past.  But right now he's being amazing.  

You are never as bad as you look when things are going wrong or as good as you look when you are going great.

Its a hot streak but he can hit.  

1 minute ago, forphase1 said:

He's never hit like this.  He's been solid in the past.  But right now he's being amazing.  

I agree Urias and Adley in July has helped push this team to .500 and over.  If they stay hot you never know what might happen.

33 minutes ago, forphase1 said:

Not really all that much of a SSS.  He hit last year, most people just didn't notice. He's a nugget to me.