Gunnar Henderson 2022

Just Regular

9 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

I was going off of Baseball Reference, which has has a much lower AB threshold to appear on its leaderboards.

Yeah he has almost double the amount of ABs as those guys except for Perkins who is an old corner OF. I think you can very reasonably make the case that he's been the best player in the Eastern League and he's 20 years old. Still hasn't faced a pitcher younger than him. It'll be interesting to see how dug in evaluators are on Volpe and Gunnar. Volpe has been straight up bad so far this year and he's slightly older. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, LTO's said:

Yeah he has almost double the amount of ABs as those guys except for Perkins who is an old corner OF. I think you can very reasonably make the case that he's been the best player in the Eastern League and he's 20 years old. Still hasn't faced a pitcher younger than him. It'll be interesting to see how dug in evaluators are on Volpe and Gunnar. Volpe has been straight up bad so far this year and he's slightly older. 

People don't like to admit they were wrong. Baseball America still has Austin Martin as a top 100 prospect based on ........  

1 hour ago, LTO's said:

But Volpe has Yankee hype!

At this point, I can think of no reason for Gunnar to still be in AA.  Challenge him.  He's performing much better at the same level and a year older than Manny was when promoted to Baltimore.  I'm not saying they should take him to the big club now.  And, I'm not saying he's Machado.  But, I think he is ready for the challenge of AAA.

He'll get to AAA soon enough.  Either way I don't think there's any way he's in Baltimore prior to May 2023, so whether he moves to AAA now or at the break seems kind of moot.  Hopefully he gets there and performs well enough to be on the teams radar for an early 2023 callup.

He's certainly been a bright spot thus far.

• Upvote 1

I have no problem delaying service time to get the extra year. However,  I believe Gunnar should be promoted to AAA soon.  IF he does in AAA what he's done in AA you bring him up this summer.  There would be no justification for him not starting next season with the team.  

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, RZNJ said:

I have no problem delaying service time to get the extra year. However,  I believe Gunnar should be promoted to AAA soon.  IF he does in AAA what he's done in AA you bring him up this summer.  There would be no justification for him not starting next season with the team.  

For the record I agree with you...but that certainly hasn't been this team's MO.  I'm assuming we don't see him until May 2023 at the soonest.  If he moves faster than that I'll be pleasantly surprised.

8 minutes ago, glenn__davis said:

For the record I agree with you...but that certainly hasn't been this team's MO.  I'm assuming we don't see him until May 2023 at the soonest.  If he moves faster than that I'll be pleasantly surprised.

Maybe. I'm thinking things may change a bit, once Rutschman and Rodriguez come up.  

26 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Maybe. I'm thinking things may change a bit, once Rutschman and Rodriguez come up.  

I have felt that a big reason for moving these guys slower is that they wanted to get them all up here at roughly the same time.  So I agree things could change once this first wave of guys is up.  

16 hours ago, joelala said:

If he keeps this up, I’d be shocked if he was still 68 at season’s end, provided they release new rankings. 

Fangraphs updates its top 100 at various times throughout the year.  And I agree Henderson will move up if he keeps this up.  But there’s a lot of room between 68 and 5.  

5 hours ago, LTO's said:

Gunnar up. Volpe and Cowser down. 

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

I have felt that a big reason for moving these guys slower is that they wanted to get them all up here at roughly the same time.  So I agree things could change once this first wave of guys is up.  

I don't think Elias is going to back off his "We want all our guys to experience success at every level" mantra just because he wants people promoted at the same time.  

I'd love to be wrong, though.

13 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I don't think Elias is going to back off his "We want all our guys to experience success at every level" mantra just because he wants people promoted at the same time.  

I'd love to be wrong, though.

Ok. But if Henderson gets promoted on June 1, and performs great for 45-50 games, he will achieved success at all levels by the end of July.

A two month indoctrination to ML pitching would seem to be in order but we'd have to see if Henderson forces their hand and just how desperate they are for the extra year if he does.  I feel a little differently about Henderson vs. Rutschman because of the timing of other rookies coming up.  

I see Adley, Rodriguez, Hall, and hopefully Henderson up.  With Westburg and Stowers in AAA pushing at the door by September.  Maybe wishful thinking.  I've got promotions at all levels mapped out. Mike just needs to contact me. Lol