Gunnar Henderson 2022

Just Regular

8 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I see where you’re coming from, but even though Aguilar homered earlier, it was still a no brained move.  Henderson has been very good, Aguilar is lucky to be in the league. 

21 years old or not, it doesn’t make much of a difference. It was the right move and it backfired. The odds of Aguilar having the game he had today were minuscule. 

But that’s one of the great things about baseball. Any given day, the worst guy on the roster can put the team on his back. 

Sure, Aguilar is putrid. I'm not saying that the legend of Gunnar precedes him to the point that teams would prefer facing anyone but him.

It's more so just generally remarkable to me that at 21 years old he's in the majors and getting an IBB with no possibility of a GIDP.

I really want the O's to find a MOO to stick between Adley and Gunnar for a killer 2-3-4 that no pitcher wants to face

Abreu is a free agent at the end of the season, and has had a pretty good year with the ChiSox. He’s 35 right now so can probably be had on a three year deal, and we wouldn’t have to give up any prospects to get him. It would likely mean the end of the Mountcastle era, but that may be true regardless. A big productive RH bat would fit right in with all the young LH players we’ll soon have in the lineup. 

Edited by ShoelesJoe

On 9/18/2022 at 6:01 PM, Brooks The Great said:

Would like to see a lineup of:

Mullins CF
Adley C
Gunnar 3B
Santander DH
Mountcastle 1B
Vavra LF
Urias 2B
Stowers RF
Mateo SS

Against righties moving forward. Maybe replace Urias with Hays and move Vavra to 2B if better OF defense is what the matchup calls for.

Lineup tonight is getting closer to what I consider optimal. Gunnar shouldn't move out of the 3rd spot against righties the rest of the way. Obviously Chirinos - one of the worst hitters in MLB - spelling Adley  and Santander getting a day off changes the lineup a bit, but hopefully the next game with Adley at C will be closer to the lineup I want to see.

Edited by Brooks The Great
  • Upvote 1

Just now, Brooks The Great said:

Lineup tonight is getting closer to what I consider optimal. Gunnar shouldn't move out of the 3rd spot against righties the rest of the way. Obviously Chirinos - one of the worst hitters in the game - spelling Adley changes the lineup a bit, but hopefully the next game with Adley at C will be closer to the lineup I want to see.

While it isn't a big deal third isn't the spot you want Gunnar. 

10 minutes ago, Brooks The Great said:

Gunnar's not a leadoff hitter, even though I don't mind him batting leadoff against lefties given our lack of good options. Even in the modern analytics era, Gunnar's a 2, 3, or 4 hitter.

Why don't you think so?  He's fast (29 fps sprint speed, 91st percentile in the majors) and if this is his true talent level going forward his .373 OPS would be the best on the team by a country mile if he qualified.  Do you want him 2 or 4 because he's got too much power?

27 minutes ago, Hallas said:

Why don't you think so?  He's fast (29 fps sprint speed, 91st percentile in the majors) and if this is his true talent level going forward his .373 OPS would be the best on the team by a country mile if he qualified.  Do you want him 2 or 4 because he's got too much power?

Yes. Gunnar is already one of our best run producers, and he and Adley are the two hitters you want up with multiple men on base. Putting Gunnar in the leadoff spot and hitting after scrubs like Mateo, Hays, and occasionally Chirinos, is minimizing run production. I simply think we'll generate more runs against RHP with Mullins leading off, Adley 2nd, and Gunnar 3rd than any combination with Gunnar leading off.

Once Colton Cowser in in the lineup, he's our best leadoff hitter. Cowser/Adley/Gunnar sequence is going to eat starting pitchers alive.