Means to Have TJ surgery

TonySoprano

3 hours ago, MarCakes21 said:

Is this throwing schedule "normal" or is he ahead of schedule?  With 4 months until Spring training, what does this mean in general?

I’d be happy if he’s earned a rotation spot before this season is over. I don’t have high expectations until 2024, personally.

22 hours ago, MarCakes21 said:

Is this throwing schedule "normal" or is he ahead of schedule?  With 4 months until Spring training, what does this mean in general?

Starting a minor league rehab assignment in June seems very realistic/average. If all goes very, very well, then maybe Means can start a minor league rehab assignment in April or May. Having Means for most of the second half of the season is likely barring a setback. The initial stages of these throwing programs usually move at a very cautious pace. 

• 3 weeks later...

Glasnow and Means are for me the interesting year over year cases to watch in division.

Glasnow had his 8.4.2021.    He was throwing well enough by summer the Rays offered him the 1/25 extension to secure him one extra year.      He returned in September, and his form was good enough to follow McClanahan as the SP2 when things mattered most.    Glasnow's 2022 Minor League game log was 9.7, 9.13, 9.18, 9.23, and he pitched 9.28 in MLB.

Means had his 4.27.2022, so is running a solid half season ahead.     Saying August is wise for under promise, over deliver type things, but I have some hope he'll be pitching games in June.    I'd bet rather heavily that's what John Means is hoping.

In a dream scenario, Hyde's August September options would be like Ohtani, Grayson, Taijuan, Means, Heaney, Hall, Kremer.    I put Voth outside the circle of trust, and Bradish in a winning Ohtani bid.     If MIL runs bad, Burnes and Woodruff could be other SP1 options for the summer, assuming none of those three move before then.     

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, Pickles said:

TBH, maybe I've been too optimistic about Means' recovery, but I was hopeful he'd be up by June, not August.

Could be anywhere from early May to not all all in 2023.  Typical recovery time is 12-18 months, 15 months is average but there are plenty of cases on either side of the 15 month average.  The O’s seem to be pretty conservative about these things, though, so i doubt we see Means before the all-star break.  

• 4 weeks later...

Any reasonable chance Means could be ready before Memorial Day? Add one good free agent pitcher, throw in a healthy Means and Grayson, and just maybe the Orioles have a decent stating rotation.  

I view Kyle Gibson as a Lyles replacement so getting him is treading water, but one quality pitcher via trade or free agency can really move the needle in 2023. 

3 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I think we see Means take over Grayson Rodriguez starts by August with maybe Rodriguez going on the IL with something until September. There are going to be careful with Rodriguez this year. I'd be surprised if he pitches over 125 innings this year.

Is he really perceived as that fragile? That seems very disappointing. Those are the type of IP numbers that make you feel like he might not be much of a factor in 2023.

Just curious why you feel that way. Do you have "inside info" that leads you to believe he will be treated as such?

• 1 month later...

Means said he  would throw off a slope soon. Seems to neither be way ahead  or way behind baring a setback. After throwing off a slope in most cases it would be 4 to 6 months to pitching. Looks like anywhere from late June to late August.I think Elias said around the middle of July. Be interesting if he would start some games in the minors or pitch counts or long relief.