The Teixeira Watch: Part V - AM says the O's "have flexibility" on Tex

Jagwar

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If the Rays could contend, why can't Baltimore? Andy Mac is on the right path. Get young, get cheap, get talent. Adam Jones. And get rid of the old, expensive, no talent. Daniel Cabrera. Kevin Millar. Jay Gibbons. We will contend ... one day. It takes time.

Gotta be able to lock up the talent you have, which is looking ever more unlikely in Roberts and Markakis.

Markakis is far less likely to extend without any great players around him. So I think it's safe to kiss him goodbye once he hits FA.

And our draft pick is #5. If you're referring to 2010, well that one is far more likely to be #1.

I'd love to wait until our 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010 1st rounders all pan out but I'll probably be in Afghanistan and/or dead at that point so I'm not terribly patient anymore.

I don't understand why people think Markakis won't extend if we don't land Teixeira. He still has a few more years before free agency. If we put down $70MM guaranteed on the table for 6-7 years, he would be silly not to take it.

I'm heading out, but everybody needs to calm the hell down. At least wait until there is some indication that a deal is going to get done, moreso than just the Red Sox being hopeful, before you guys write off the next 10 seasons.

Everybody freaking out on here are going to look like complete fools if in the morning nothing has gotten done and this is just another step in the negotiating process. Just think about it, you'll have plenty of time to complain about how unfair baseball is after he signs. Might as well try and save some face until that happens.

I think this board is far too negative in terms of what the actual situation is in Baltimore. We've been drafting well, we've reduced payroll, we've added some core players, we've restocked the minors.... I don't think the Teixeira issue is as important as people make it seem.

If anything, I think adding a contract like that would cripple this franchise for the better part of next decade.

We finished 25 games under .500 last season with Roberts and Markakis. Why is that everyone thinks that keeping them will alter the below .500 product. We should not need to save money to sign our #5 draft pick in the 2009 draft. The way to get what we need is to deal Markakis, Roberts, Sherrill, and Scott. This team is going to be really bad for at least 3 more years. If they make the wrong moves, it may be longet than that. The Rays had the #1 overall pick in like 7 of the last 10 drafts.

I disagree that we need to trade Markakis.

Markakis is far less likely to extend without any great players around him. So I think it's safe to kiss him goodbye once he hits FA.

And our draft pick is #5. If you're referring to 2010, well that one is far more likely to be #1.

I'd love to wait until our 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010 1st rounders all pan out but I'll probably be in Afghanistan and/or dead at that point so I'm not terribly patient anymore.

Markakis has the 'regional bias' now that he's married and has a place in or around Baltimore. Yeah, it's not working with Tex, but let's try it with Markakis. Carl Crawford extended with the Devil Rays when they were garbage, remember? Markakis has great players around him now. Roberts. Huff won the Silver Slugger. Tex would help to get Markakis extended, but there are other players and other ways to make Markakis stay. Build a talented team with no MVP candidate minus Markakis himself and Huff. Get a real SS for the future. Get a real first baseman that won't cost $200m. We have a future 'great player' with Matty Wieters. Let's give Mac some more time before we say bye bye to Nick.

I'm heading out, but everybody needs to calm the hell down. At least wait until there is some indication that a deal is going to get done, moreso than just the Red Sox being hopeful, before you guys write off the next 10 seasons.

Everybody freaking out on here are going to look like complete fools if in the morning nothing has gotten done and this is just another step in the negotiating process. Just think about it, you'll have plenty of time to complain about how unfair baseball is after he signs. Might as well try and save some face until that happens.

Exactly right. Thanks.

I don't understand why people think Markakis won't extend if we don't land Teixeira. He still has a few more years before free agency. If we put down $70MM guaranteed on the table for 6-7 years, he would be silly not to take it.

Because if he waits, the 70mm turns into over 100. Remember, Teixeira turned down a 140 million extension a few years back from the Rangers.

Exactly! Great Post!

Gotta be able to lock up the talent you have, which is looking ever more unlikely in Roberts and Markakis.

Not extending Roberts wouldn't be the worst thing in the world. Without Tex, Roberts should be traded anyhow. Markakis can still extend. Just because he hasn't yet doesn't mean he won't. Let's wait til spring training before we say bye bye to him.

Guest BrettMeister86

If I'm a young star who has already deserved 2 gold gloves and has been snubbed because of the horrendous team I play for and I know that I can go out and get a similar contract with a contender and actually hear cheers and the crowd roar when I make a play I am getting out of Baltimore so fast Andy's head will spin.

Currently composed this team will not be able to extend one top talent, regardless of money because they can get it elsewhere.

Archived