The Teixeira Watch: Part V - AM says the O's "have flexibility" on Tex

Jagwar

I think this board is far too negative in terms of what the actual situation is in Baltimore. We've been drafting well, we've reduced payroll, we've added some core players, we've restocked the minors.... I don't think the Teixeira issue is as important as people make it seem.

If anything, I think adding a contract like that would cripple this franchise for the better part of next decade.

How can you say this, we don't need to reduce payroll, if anything, the team has increased flexibility to increase it with Major League Baseball's guaranteed revenue agreement.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think this board is far too negative in terms of what the actual situation is in Baltimore. We've been drafting well, we've reduced payroll, we've added some core players, we've restocked the minors.... I don't think the Teixeira issue is as important as people make it seem.

If anything, I think adding a contract like that would cripple this franchise for the better part of next decade.

I agree, this is not as big a deal as people make it seem.

Agreed. Also, it's not like a Longoria or Price comes along in every draft.

Yes. Our drafting recently has been horrendous. Jeez. Folks. Get a grip. If you thought the future was dependent on this signing, you should have been looking to trade everyone away months ago. The probability of signing an in-demand FA is always small, no matter how strong or strategic you are.

It's tempting to dash through this thread neg rep'ing the lot of you disparaging the O's right now - because you're doing it for all the wrong reasons.

There's a 50% chance that not signing Teix is the best thing to happen to this organization for a long time.

Not sure if this was posted, but Spencer Fordin, Orioles MLB.COM reporter, says this about the O's chances. "Orioles remain in running for Teixeira"

http://baltimore.orioles.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20081218&content_id=3721147&vkey=news_bal&fext=.jsp&c_id=bal

Might be some of the same news recycled...:noidea:

That was from around 2pm.....the latest news coming out, is much more current :(

I don't understand why people think Markakis won't extend if we don't land Teixeira. He still has a few more years before free agency. If we put down $70MM guaranteed on the table for 6-7 years, he would be silly not to take it.
No he wouldn't. Wait 3 more years, he'll be 28 (like Tex is right now) and he'll command 20-25 million/yr on the open market, and he'll get it from a team that actually goes out and gets players (like say, the Red Sox). Why would he lock himself in at a discount rate with a team that isn't doing everything it can to win?

All that needs to be said is the Orioles have increased their offer, thats all. I don't need specifics, but if every news outlet is reporting one initial bid which has already been dwarfed there is absolutely no reason that Andy should not issue a release stating the Orioles have submitted a counter offer. doesn't even have to have the figures attached.

In my opinion, there is no reason to continually submit new bids. One bid to show your interested, then at the end, when you have a good idea of what it will take, you can up the offer. To continually up your offer only assists in running up the price, and with 3 or 4 other teams involved I think that is more than covered. It's possible that this is what we will do.

No he wouldn't. Wait 3 more years, he'll be 28 (like Tex is right now) and he'll command 20-25 million/yr on the open market, and he'll get it from a team that actually goes out and gets players (like say, the Red Sox). Why would he lock himself in at a discount rate with a team that isn't doing everything it can to win?

The Sox and Yankees can only have so many players on their rosters and so many OFers.

Archived