Pie for Christmas?

Jdan14

Marquis + Pie is a package that makes sense for the Orioles.

So, what needs to be sent back to the Cubs to make that happen?

I agree but from media reports (as if that helps) taking on $4mm of Marquis' salary seem to be a barrier to getting Pie in the Olson swap. Not sure how we match up if that deal is dead.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ceda is on the Marlins. Pie is this years Lastings Milledge. When the masses become bored, someone brings him up. Let's forget Pie and forget making a deal with the Cubs.

Thats what I think....I would take a shot at Hill for a C- or D prospect & forget the rest. Hill has had sucess in the Bigs & we have alot of holes.

Not a good deal for the Orioles IMO
I don't think the Cubs would do that. I know I wouldn't if I were Hendry.

With these two responses. Looks like a fair trade to me.

Cubs get there only hole filed. (LH hiting OF)

Pie deffinitley has potential and Hill still has a 50/50 chance of panning out.

Marquis adds a pitcher who can eat innings in 09.

If Pie doesn't pan out, we still have Montanez, Freel, Reimold and Snyder (2010) to fill in.

Cubs replace Pie w/ Gathright and I think the ship has sailed w/ Hill.

I just don't like the fact that we are so vulnerable to lefties already and adding Pie to the mix does not help. Just does not seem like a good match.

This whole Pie conversation is still good food for thoght though :D.

We shouldn't worry about being vulnerable to lefties right now. We have more things to worry about.

You are right, but it just seems to me that the Cubs aren't really interested in adding payroll (even though they would be shedding Marquis) and their most pressing need is a left handed outfielder.

Seems like Cedeno, Marquis and Pie for Scott (and no salary relief) is a deal that's pretty close to fair. Disagree?

I like that alot. I would try to squeeze Hill out of them, but if they don't budge, I'd be happy.

Cedeno gives us what Hu would give us. A decent SS prospect who can play UTL IF for us right now.

No thanks.......

Im not giving up any pitching for Pie, and im not giving up Scott.

Agree. Exactly how many outfielders do we need? I must have miss the memo to start stockpiling outfielders, which are a dime a dozen.... pitching, pitching, pitching (and Tex or Dunn).

The only reason the Peavy trade was not completed was because the Cubs didn't have much to offer.

Not true. There was a deal in place that Towers wanted to make, but Hendry turned it down.

Don't sweat having to over pay for Pie. While I as a Cub fan still value him a lot, I also understand that we'll probably end up signing a Bradley type bat and Pie will not have much value to this Cubs team anymore. It's unfortunate, but I think if his star is going to rise, it's going to be for another team. I could see it being an Oriole because of previous talks, but given the circumstances (out of options, stuck behind at least 4 outfielders) my expectations on his return are not great.

If I were to guess, I would think maybe 2 A ball prospects with decent and not good upside.

If the Cubs trade Pie, do they need something that helps them right now?

The only thing the Cubs are really looking for is a left handed bat for right field and I guarantee you they fill that need in free agency.

If Hendry wants to revisit the Peavy deal, he may wanna hang on to Pie. If not, I see him trading Pie for some low level talent with a shot of blooming into a decent every day player.

Also, the Corey Patterson comparisons are going to happen. Here's the thing though, as a prospect Patterson was VERY highly thought of. The best in fact. Just because Patterson's career turned out the way it did, doesn't mean the same will happen for Pie and I don't think the Patterson comparisons are trying to make the point that Pie's career will go in the same direction Patterson's did.

I do not know why everyone is so pumped to trade for Pie. I think we just want something to happen. Pie may be good, but he has been bad. Scott can play leftfield for us and doesn't make a whole lot. We need pitching. Dealing a guy like Olson for another outfielder makes little sense. We have Markakis, Jones, Scott, Montanez, and Reimold. We will only carry 4 of them. Reimold is a good prospect, put him in left before you trade Olson to the Cubs for a 4th outfielder.

The Cubs no longer have the parts to trade for Roberts unless Vitters is in the deal. I would consider the following deal (Pie, Marshall, Vitters), but the Cubs would not. Last year we could have landed Ceda, Cedeno, Marshall, and a player like Eric Patterson or Rich Hill for Roberts.

I do not know why everyone is so pumped to trade for Pie. I think we just want something to happen. Pie may be good, but he has been bad. Scott can play leftfield for us and doesn't make a whole lot. We need pitching. Dealing a guy like Olson for another outfielder makes little sense. We have Markakis, Jones, Scott, Montanez, and Reimold. We will only carry 4 of them. Reimold is a good prospect, put him in left before you trade Olson to the Cubs for a 4th outfielder.

The Cubs no longer have the parts to trade for Roberts unless Vitters is in the deal. I would consider the following deal (Pie, Marshall, Vitters), but the Cubs would not. Last year we could have landed Ceda, Cedeno, Marshall, and a player like Eric Patterson or Rich Hill for Roberts.

Roberts doesn't have the value you think he does if you really believe the Cubs don't have the parts without Vitters.

He's only signed for one year and, as is being discussed in another thread, Hudson is a slightly inferior option that can be had without surrendering any talent.

It's doubtful anyone is going to pony up a big bounty including upper-tier prospects for Roberts. That ship has sailed (if it ever was in port in the first place).

Regardless of all that, he's simply not a fit for CHC any longer. Their $$$s are going to be spent elsewhere this year.

Archived