Pie for Christmas?

Jdan14

I do not know why everyone is so pumped to trade for Pie. I think we just want something to happen. Pie may be good, but he has been bad. Scott can play leftfield for us and doesn't make a whole lot. We need pitching. Dealing a guy like Olson for another outfielder makes little sense. We have Markakis, Jones, Scott, Montanez, and Reimold. We will only carry 4 of them. Reimold is a good prospect, put him in left before you trade Olson to the Cubs for a 4th outfielder.

The Cubs no longer have the parts to trade for Roberts unless Vitters is in the deal. I would consider the following deal (Pie, Marshall, Vitters), but the Cubs would not. Last year we could have landed Ceda, Cedeno, Marshall, and a player like Eric Patterson or Rich Hill for Roberts.

EVERYONE should always be in favor of adding high ceiling, cheap young talent that has fallen out of favor and isn't going to cost much to acquire...Those are always the guys you should go after...Look at some of these guys over the years and how we could have had them for very little? Quentin, Phillips, Hamilton, Milledge, etc.....Names we have talked about over and over on this board...guys the Orioles either chose to not go after or didn't give up what it took to get them...and now look at them?

You always go after talent.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Can we quit with the Pie threads already....There are plenty of threads about the Cubs & Pie.

Pie is a scrap heap guy now. The Orioles are better off keeping Reimold & Montanez if they deal Scott. If they keep Scott there is definately no room. Especially if you count Freel.

Guy K's way too much ...Hits for too little power for LF & his SB/CS ratios are awful. Great to be enamored for his defense. But do we really want a Stone clone playing for us again???

How many times do you need to have the similarities between Felix Pie and Adam Jones illustrated for you? The reason I ask is because I think we're into double digits already.

Actually a review of the differences would be much more expedient:

* Jones projects for a bit more power

* Jones has gotten legit chance to play everyday at the ML level

In every other meaningful way, the two guys are very similar: strengths, weaknesses, ceiling, etc. All of it is very comparable. You'd have to be a fool if you wouldn't welcome another young Adam Jones-caliber talent onto the O's.

How many times do you need to have the similarities between Felix Pie and Adam Jones illustrated for you? The reason I ask is because I think we're into double digits already.

In every other meaningful way, the two guys are very similar: strengths, weaknesses, ceiling, etc. All of it is very comparable. You'd have to be a fool if you wouldn't welcome another young Adam Jones-caliber talent onto the O's.

Dave, give it up...Everyone should be able to acknowledge that Pie is a high risk/high reward guy. He may be a bust but that doesn't mean a team like the Orioles shouldn't be trying for him.

Dave...what do you think the Cubs would want for Pie? Do you think they would only deal him for something to help them win now?

Dave, give it up...Everyone should be able to acknowledge that Pie is a high risk/high reward guy. He may be a bust but that doesn't mean a team like the Orioles shouldn't be trying for him.

Dave...what do you think the Cubs would want for Pie? Do you think they would only deal him for something to help them win now?

I think they'd be open to a lot of different ideas, including prospects.

Frankly they've already got one too many position players on the roster as it is, and the situation gets worse if/when another OF is added. Assuming Bradley signs, and they carry a 7-man bullpen, they'll have 5 bench spots to divide amongst:

Fontenot

Cedeno

Johnson

Hoffpaiur

Pie

Gathright

backup Catcher

Given that, they might even prefer a non-roster guy or two, actually. Although perhaps more likely would be to put a package together with some of the usual suspects.

I think they'd be open to a lot of different ideas, including prospects.

Frankly they've already got one too many position players on the roster as it is, and the situation gets worse if/when another OF is added. Assuming Bradley signs, and they carry a 7-man bullpen, they'll have 5 bench spots to divide amongst:

Fontenot

Cedeno

Johnson

Hoffpaiur

Pie

Gathright

backup Catcher

Given that, they might even prefer a non-roster guy or two, actually. Although perhaps more likely would be to put a package together with some of the usual suspects.

Do they need a bullpen guy? Would a guy like Sherrill have interest for them, for example?

And if we take on Marquis and the full 9.875 million(taking it all on to get Pie), can they be had for way less?

I just don't see where Huff, Scott, Sherril and Brob fit into this teams future. We are building for a bright future and taking a chance on a talent like Pie isn't a bad idea. I would rather Reimold just work out and plug him into LF but as we've seen in other young players who have come through Baltimore it doesn't work out that way. If giving them Scott for Pie and company is a deal they would make why not. What do we have to lose? Scott? A player not in our future? It isn't going to block Reimold. Chances are kakes is gone soon anyways so why not add another OF.

EVERYONE should always be in favor of adding high ceiling, cheap young talent that has fallen out of favor and isn't going to cost much to acquire...Those are always the guys you should go after...Look at some of these guys over the years and how we could have had them for very little? Quentin, Phillips, Hamilton, Milledge, etc.....Names we have talked about over and over on this board...guys the Orioles either chose to not go after or didn't give up what it took to get them...and now look at them?

You always go after talent.

Isn't Olson one of those guys? We are trading for a strenght by giving up a weakness. I would be more open to the deal if we were to sign 2 or 3 starters, but we have not done that as of yet. Hamilton only fell out of favor due to the drugs, that guy was always the real deal. We could have added Carlos Pena by extending an invite to camp a few years back. If we get Pie where does he play? Is he out of options? If you asked 50 baseball experts if they would take Pie or Reimold how do you think they would answer. The deal doesn't make sense based on the current makeup of this team.

Scott-30

Roberts-31

Huff-32

Sherril-31

Walker-37

None of them are a part of our future so why hold on to them. Why not trade Walker for Pie when the Cubs need a bullpen guy.

I think Scott could be excluded from this discussion since he's cheap, under control, and productive. For the right price, of course you trade him but he's more valuable than the rest going forward. Of course, you could argue that this makes him more tradeable. But if Tex is signed it will become more important to find players like Scott.

Roberts doesn't have the value you think he does if you really believe the Cubs don't have the parts without Vitters.

He's only signed for one year and, as is being discussed in another thread, Hudson is a slightly inferior option that can be had without surrendering any talent.

It's doubtful anyone is going to pony up a big bounty including upper-tier prospects for Roberts. That ship has sailed (if it ever was in port in the first place).

Regardless of all that, he's simply not a fit for CHC any longer. Their $$$s are going to be spent elsewhere this year.

The Cubs should spend those dollars in other places. The Cubs farm system is not very strong at this point. They dealt Ceda to the Marlins and he is listed as the Marlins 10th best prospect according to BA. The only guys I hear anything about are Samardzija and Vitters. I think the Indians or White Sox would be a good fit. I would try to land Brandon Allen and Getz for Roberts. I would be very happy with a young 1B and 2B prospect in return for Roberts. According to BA they are the #6 and #9 prospects in the White Sox farm system.

Then I guess the Cubs are fools according to your definition when they sign Joey Gathright and want to trade your Adam Jones-caliber talent Pie.

Or, is it more like Aaron Fitt said yesterday in his chat:

Quote:

Rick Oakland CA: Felix Pie is out of options and not in the Cubs' plans. I'm sure he can be good fielding CF in the majors and his hitting might surprise. Should some non-contender pick him up and give him two months to show what he can do given consistent ABs?

SportsNation Aaron Fitt: I think Pie could have a bounce like Corey Patterson had when he first went to Baltimore, but I see him having a Patterson-like fizzle in the long term.

I know your retort is that Pie hasn't been given a real shot (may be true), but, then, it is pretty foolish for the Cubs to not give him a shot if he truly is more Adam Jones than Corey Patterson. My feeling is that he is really more Patterson than Jones and I haven't seen a good trade outside of the Trachsel one with the Cubs and even that one hasn't yet given us any major league players (granted, Moore still has a somewhat of a shot). I would like to see the O's go for Hermida over Pie. Or try to add Baldelli.

Roberts doesn't have the value you think he does if you really believe the Cubs don't have the parts without Vitters.

He's only signed for one year and, as is being discussed in another thread, Hudson is a slightly inferior option that can be had without surrendering any talent.

It's doubtful anyone is going to pony up a big bounty including upper-tier prospects for Roberts. That ship has sailed (if it ever was in port in the first place).

Regardless of all that, he's simply not a fit for CHC any longer. Their $$$s are going to be spent elsewhere this year.

The the Cubs should get hudson instead! A good idea since other than Vitters the Cubs have little talent.

Also Pie has little value now as everyone knows the Cubs will move him.

Then I guess the Cubs are fools according to your definition when they sign Joey Gathright and want to trade your Adam Jones-caliber talent Pie.

Or, is it more like Aaron Fitt said yesterday in his chat:

Quote:

Rick Oakland CA: Felix Pie is out of options and not in the Cubs' plans. I'm sure he can be good fielding CF in the majors and his hitting might surprise. Should some non-contender pick him up and give him two months to show what he can do given consistent ABs?

SportsNation Aaron Fitt: I think Pie could have a bounce like Corey Patterson had when he first went to Baltimore, but I see him having a Patterson-like fizzle in the long term.

I know your retort is that Pie hasn't been given a real shot (may be true), but, then, it is pretty foolish for the Cubs to not give him a shot if he truly is more Adam Jones than Corey Patterson. My feeling is that he is really more Patterson than Jones and I haven't seen a good trade outside of the Trachsel one with the Cubs and even that one hasn't yet given us any major league players (granted, Moore still has a somewhat of a shot). I would like to see the O's go for Hermida over Pie. Or try to add Baldelli.

You never know until you try. I would be willing to bet that Dave is upset that the Cubs won't give Pie a chance. At the same time he can see that they won't give him a chance and is saying that he is a good buy low opportunity for a team like the O's.

Personally, if the O's could get Pie, Marquis and Hill (another buy low) for Scott it would be a great deal. Marquis would be a good 3-5 range SP for a year and Pie and Hill are cheap options for a few years. Scott isn't so good we shouldn't look to upgrade. If Pie fails we can still use Reimold in LF. I hardly think one persons opinion should make the decision for you. MacPhail seems to like him, so I'd take his opinion over Aaron Fitt.

Archived