Which catcher goes away when Rutchman arrives?

ChipTait

Thus far this season our catching platoon has totaled 11 hits.  Which one stays?

I’m not of the mindset that Adley needs a mentor, for whatever that’s worth.

How would you guys determine which catcher starts once or twice per week?  Catcher ERA?  The better “framer?”  

Both of the current guys have shown decent catch-and-throw metrics.

Which one is more valuable moving forward?  Thanks…

16 minutes ago, ChipTait said:

Thus far this season our catching platoon has totaled 11 hits.  Which one stays?

How would you guys determine which catcher starts once or twice per week?  Catcher ERA?  The better “framer?”  

Both of the current guys have shown decent catch-and-throw metrics.

Which one is more valuable moving forward?  Thanks…

I'm not sure on the status of Bemboom, but if he has options I'd guess Chirinos stays. 

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

He doesn’t have options.   But I’m 90% sure they’ll keep the veteran.  

Your probably right …Chrinos is old and can’t hit. Benboom is young and can’t hit. You could argue that the latter will be around longer but I doubt either is part of a serious contender here. Hopefully they can find a good defensive guy that can offer some offensive contribution.

6 hours ago, ChipTait said:

I know you don't think Adley needs a "mentor" but someone who has been around the league, knows hitter tendencies, and has done what you're trying to do is always helpful. Same wat veteran pitchers can help new pitchers. Adley has never been a major league catcher before. Same as in any other job, having someone around who has done it, isn't a bad thing

• Upvote 1

I'm not even sure this is a real question for the Orioles. Chirinos was signed to be the backup and while he's been awful at the plate, he's been good defensively and the team's pitching has been good when he catches for the most part. 

The real question is, who sits when Rutschman DHs or plays 1B when he's not catching (Mountcastle or Mancini)? Obviously the Orioles can play Mancini in RF (though he's not good) but then Santander, Hays or Mullins sits. 

I think Mancini may start to lose the most PAs with Rutschman's arrival though they'll probably spread them around.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

I'm not even sure this is a real question for the Orioles. Chirinos was signed to be the backup and while he's been awful at the plate, he's been good defensively and the team's pitching has been good when he catches for the most part. 

The real question is, who sits when he DHs or plays 1B when he's not catching (Mountcastle or Mancini)? Obviously the Orioles can play Mancini in RF (though he's not good) but then Santander, Hays or Mullins sits. 

I think Mancini may start to lose the most PAs with Rutschman's arrival though they'll probably spread them around.

I agree that they’ll spread the rest around the team. I think Elias will want to give Mancini every chance to have some trade value. 

I also agree that Chirnos is getting over exposed and he’s the no brainer to keep. 

2 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

The real question is, who sits when he DHs or plays 1B when he's not catching (Mountcastle or Mancini)? Obviously the Orioles can play Mancini in RF (though he's not good) but then Santander, Hays or Mullins sits. 

I think Elias is hoping that Mancini gets traded to solve this equation when Rutschman isn't catching and the team wants his bat in the lineup. I could see alternating days off between Mountcastle and Manacini.

The one thing we might see is Mancini or Mountcastle might get some starts in the outfield once Rutschman is up. That is something I don't want to see, but if I had to bet it's going to happen.