Which catcher goes away when Rutchman arrives?

ChipTait

33 minutes ago, jamalshw said:

I just assumed it was Chirinos that was staying and Bemboom was going as soon as Rutschman was ready. Chirinos is a backup catcher. He's a good glove that can't really hit. As a side note, how is Nottingham's defense? 

Couldn't tell you about Nottingham's defense, but I did notice he's not getting the lion's share of AB down in Norfolk:

Cumberland: 46 AB
Nottingham: 28 AB
Hudgins: 20 AB
Taylor: 7 AB (I think because he's always with the team on the taxi squad?)

I'm not really sure why Hudgins is on the roster eating AB from Nottingham?

13 minutes ago, interloper said:

Couldn't tell you about Nottingham's defense, but I did notice he's not getting the lion's share of AB down in Norfolk:

With Rutschman getting called up to Norfolk has the team announced a corresponding roster move with the catchers? Maybe they won't make any changes now because Rutschman is probably only spending a week with Norfolk before making his Orioles debut.

Then we should definitely expect to see some movement with the catchers in the organization. 

39 minutes ago, interloper said:

Nottingham didn’t play from April 24 - May 3.   An injury, I assume.  He played on Wednesday.  

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, interloper said:

He honestly doesn't need to play everyday as I don't see how he is an everyday catcher in the Majors. Get him used to playing as a reserve. If he makes this team at any time, it'll be as a backup. That's Chirinos' role to lose, but if he gets injured Nottingham may be the next man up. I'm not sure Bemboom stays in the organization as I'm not sure there are enough ABs to be had in AAA.

10 hours ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

With Rutschman getting called up to Norfolk has the team announced a corresponding roster move with the catchers? Maybe they won't make any changes now because Rutschman is probably only spending a week with Norfolk before making his Orioles debut.

Then we should definitely expect to see some movement with the catchers in the organization. 

Under no circumstance do I want to see Mountcastle lose at bats to Mancini. Mancini needs to start hitting - end of story. I also don't want to see Adley at first unless the minor league numbers show he rakes when he plays there. What can the Orioles realistically expect to receive for Mancini and/or Santander? They probably have more invested in Chirinos, so I think we know he stays.

Edited by Gentile4

12 minutes ago, Gentile4 said:

Under no circumstance do I want to see Mountcastle lose at bats to Mancini. Mancini needs to start hitting - end of story. I also don't want to see Adley at first unless the minor league numbers show he rakes when he plays there. What can the Orioles realistically expect to receive for Mancini and/or Santander? They probably have more invested in Chirinos, so I think we know he stays.

With the way that Mancini has been hitting, the O's will be lucky to receive the infamous PTBNL.  That's with the O's paying most of his remaining salary.

30 minutes ago, Gentile4 said:

So we shouldn’t get Adley extra ABs at first base unless the numbers show that he has raked in a minuscule sample size?  That makes absolutely no sense.  

And we only have 900k invested in Chirinos. 

17 minutes ago, ArtVanDelay said:

So we shouldn’t get Adley extra ABs at first base unless the numbers show that he has raked in a minuscule sample size?  That makes absolutely no sense.  

Adley needs all the at bats he can get on the days he’s not catching whether that be at 1B or DH. Sure there will be the rest days, but that isn’t going to be every time he’s not catching. 

If Rutschman is really going to be an .800 plus OPS hitter and the Orioles aren’t going to ride him into the ground at catcher like Wieters. Then it’s only natural to get him more at bats while protecting Rutschman from the wear and tear of catching. 

16 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Adley needs all the at bats he can get on the days he’s not catching whether that be at 1B or DH. Sure there will be the rest days, but that isn’t going to be every time he’s not catching. 

If Rutschman is really going to be an .800 plus OPS hitter and the Orioles aren’t going to ride him into the ground at catcher like Wieters. Then it’s only natural to get him more at bats while protecting Rutschman from the wear and tear of catching. 

I agree with you.  The person I quoted said Adley should only play 1B if he has shown that he can rake on days when he’s playing there.  It doesn’t make sense.  He should get plenty of ABs at first to get his bat in the lineup and save him from the wear and tear of catching every day.

If that’s at the expense of Mancini, then so be it.   Everyone loves Trey but he’s not part of the future. 

9 hours ago, ArtVanDelay said:

I'm all for Adley getting AB's, but from what I've read he's a below average first baseman. Leave Mountcastle at first and DH Adley on the days he's not catching. 

DHing a catcher is tricky if the starting catcher gets injured, you lose the DH.  I'm not saying it will happen, but there's a slim chance they carry three catchers if Rutschman is going to get time at DH or  he might actually get more time at first instead, to avoid that issue,

5 hours ago, Gentile4 said:

I'm all for Adley getting AB's, but from what I've read he's a below average first baseman. Leave Mountcastle at first and DH Adley on the days he's not catching. 

I haven’t seen a lot of reports on his defense at 1b, but most seem to indicate he’s perfectly fine in the field. Mountcastle though is a below avg defensive 1b, so regardless having Adley at first occasionally doesn’t seem like a big deal 

• Upvote 2