Os trade Fry to DBacks

Sports Guy

1 minute ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

While technically correct (he was not drafted) he would have also never been subjected to a draft. If you scroll down on same page you can see that he was signed at age 16 out of Venezuela. 

That makes more sense that he was acquired in that way.  It was certainly my assumption.  Odd to not find any info on the signing though.

7 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

That makes more sense that he was acquired in that way.  It was certainly my assumption.  Odd to not find any info on the signing though.

Teams tend not to report signing bonuses for players from Venezuela because they have a kidnapping and ransom problem down there

• Upvote 1

I think Fry was making a bit more than the league minimum so let’s not ignore that this did save a little bit of money.

Osorio should help round out the two FCL teams. I know the DSL is usually a pitcher’s league, and with no real scouting report it looks like just a flier. Better than nothing. 

Fry literally wasn’t the same dude after the spider tack. Maybe it was that or maybe it was some trade talk last year, but he fell off fast. 

9 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

https://www.thebaseballcube.com/content/player/237831/tranx/

It’s how BC designated him and I kept looking for his bonus and nothing was popping up.  I was surprised to see that as well and figured it was wrong but like I said, I couldn’t find any other info so I figured it may be right.

I hopped to Juan Soto's page and they have the (Signed UDFA) parenthetical on him too.    Owners want the players to know stuff like this is why we need an International Draft.    There's a more orderly way for Clubs to access Adley Rutschman's life mastery of the game of baseball for as long as maximizes their playoff odds.

Wonder if they had this set up before the DFA, because the DFA was still a bit surprising considering the 2 options Fry had left. Either way, I'm glad we got anything for him, and young pitching is always good to collect. We have too many lefty options vying for Fry's spot in the 'pen. 

19 minutes ago, interloper said:

Wonder if they had this set up before the DFA, because the DFA was still a bit surprising considering the 2 options Fry had left. Either way, I'm glad we got anything for him, and young pitching is always good to collect. We have too many lefty options vying for Fry's spot in the 'pen. 

The had to DFA him to get him off the 40 man. Optioning wouldn't have helped. They had already optioned him.

• Upvote 1

I honestly do believe that when Fry was not traded last year, he was extremely disappointed and pitched like it. He did not want to be on this team and it showed when he wasn't gone. I think this continued all the way until this season as well. Now that he's finally gone (what he wanted all along), he will pitch like the Paul Fry prior to the trade deadline last season. AZ received a very good pitcher.