Lowther recalled, Sedlock optioned

MurphDogg

Makes sense to churn bullpen guys while we have the chance. Hopefully we get good Lowther and Sedlock is back up soon.

Lowther has been dreadful this season in Norfolk and was lousy last year at the Major and minor league level so I am certainly not expecting much (nor am I expecting him to pitch if a game is close), but I would rather see him than a position player pitching in a blowout.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Lowther to back up Baker today? 

Probably.

Akin has pitched on two days rest 3 times this year, but he did it after throwing 31, 25, and 25 pitches.   He threw 46 on Saturday.   So I am guessing Hyde will not consider him available tonight.

30 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

I hope not, I would hope it is a break glass in case of emergency type of role. Lowther hasn't earned the opportunity to pitch in a close game. My guess is that Lowther is sent back down in a day or two, and if everything goes right he doesn't pitch at all.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

I hope not, I would hope it is more likely a break glass in case of emergency type of role. Lowther hasn't earned the opportunity to pitch in a close game. My guess is that Lowther is sent back down in a day or two, and if everything goes right he doesn't pitch at all.

This 

26 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Yeah, you to imagine he's the length guy after Baker. His command has been terrible this year but hopefully it's getting good enough to do well in that Akin role. We'll see. He's been disappointing.

14 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

I hope not, I would hope it is more likely a break glass in case of emergency type of role. Lowther hasn't earned the opportunity to pitch in a close game. My guess is that Lowther is sent back down in a day or two, and if everything goes right he doesn't pitch at all.

So if Baker gives us 2 innings, who exactly do you think will go the other 7?

I'm saying Akin is not available after 46 pitches Saturday.   He has gone on two days rest 3 times but that was after 31, 25, and 25 pitches.

Diplan threw 38 pitches Sunday, I say not available.

Tate/Krehbiel/Gillaspie -- each went last night, so probably available for 1 inning max on the 2nd day in a row.

Lopez/Bautista/Perez -- high leverage guys, will be used in the late innings if we actually are in the game despite it being a bullpen game.  We won't see any before the 7th in any case.   And if we aren't at least within shouting distance I don't think we see them at all.

So that's pretty much it.   Given the current composition and rest status of the bullpen, I think the plan IS to use Lowther for some bulk innings after Baker.   I'm not saying that SHOULD be the plan, but I don't see a way around it.  

12 minutes ago, SteveA said:

So if Baker gives us 2 innings, who exactly do you think will go the other 7?

I'm saying Akin is not available after 46 pitches Saturday.   He has gone on two days rest 3 times but that was after 31, 25, and 25 pitches.

Diplan threw 38 pitches Sunday, I say not available.

Tate/Krehbiel/Gillaspie -- each went last night, so probably available for 1 inning max on the 2nd day in a row.

Lopez/Bautista/Perez -- high leverage guys, will be used in the late innings if we actually are in the game despite it being a bullpen game.  We won't see any before the 7th in any case.   And if we aren't at least within shouting distance I don't think we see them at all.

So that's pretty much it.   Given the current composition and rest status of the bullpen, I think the plan IS to use Lowther for some bulk innings after Baker.   I'm not saying that SHOULD be the plan, but I don't see a way around it.  

I think Akin is available for his usual 2-3 innings. Then everyone else you listed could get us through 9. I don't think the difference between 35 pitches and 46 pitches is meaningful enough to require an extra day of rest.

Also, Diplan through 35 pitches on Friday and was available for 38 pitches on Sunday, so there is no reason to think he wouldn't be available for 30 pitches as well.

If the game isn't close, Lowther works mop-up duty, and then he is potentially dispatched back to AAA for a fresh arm before Wednesday's game.

• Upvote 1

I gotta think this is the end of the road for Lowther unless he’s lights out (even if he is effective which is unlikely …he will likely will be DFA-Ed). 

If he gets in the game, we may lose 14-4, he’s been atrocious in Norfolk this year, prepare yourself, very disappointing move. 

8 minutes ago, NelsonCruuuuuz said:

I gotta think this is the end of the road for Lowther unless he’s lights out (even if he is effective which is unlikely …he will likely will be DFA-Ed). 

If he gets in the game, we may lose 14-4, he’s been atrocious in Norfolk this year, prepare yourself, very disappointing move. 

Can't they just option him back to Norfolk? Why would they DFA?

9 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Can't they just option him back to Norfolk? Why would they DFA?

They've already optioned him once this year, so clearly he has an option this year.  Only reason he'd be DFA'd would be to clear 40 man space for someone not already on it.