Thursday, June 2: Rubber Match vs Mariners

SteveA

Taillon 21 up 21 down, just got through the Trout/Ohtani part of the order for what could be the last time.

#20 was super close, Ohtani got down the line REAL fast and the throw from SS just barely beat him

83 pitches.

On MLBN

5 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

I said it before. I see a lot of similarities with 2011. The position players are good enough to compete if healthy. Pitching lacks depth. Some of these pen arms will regress some as well. 

Yep.   Even if Grayson slid smoothly into the #1 SP role next week, the 1450 IP in 2022 project was still going to have some skin of its teeth aspect to it.    I have a notion a little bit of the catchers setting up in the middle, fat 0-2 pitches to Bobby Witt is a semi-intentional setting to race through 1450 with a known to be short limited supply of arms.

We'd perhaps be in Matt Harvey zone but for the suspension.    Keuchel at least is built up in midseason form.

5 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

Yep.   Even if Grayson slid smoothly into the #1 SP role next week, the 1450 IP in 2022 project was still going to have some skin of its teeth aspect to it.    I have a notion a little bit of the catchers setting up in the middle, fat 0-2 pitches to Bobby Witt is a semi-intentional setting to race through 1450 with a known to be short limited supply of arms.

We'd perhaps be in Matt Harvey zone but for the suspension.    Keuchel at least is built up in midseason form.

I am not against giving Keuchel a look. I don’t see the harm. He is blocking no one. Don’t know if he would want to come here. 

5 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Taillon 21 up 21 down, just got through the Trout/Ohtani part of the order for what could be the last time.

#20 was super close, Ohtani got down the line REAL fast and the throw from SS just barely beat him

83 pitches.

On MLBN

That Mike Trout-Kelly Leak Bad News Bears staying out of the "here we go again" zone strong start sure has vanished fast.

1 minute ago, eddie83 said:

I am not against giving Keuchel a look. I don’t see the harm. He is blocking no one. Don’t know if he would want to come here. 

I assume almost any player wants a MLB job as much as Joey Krehbiel didn't want to talk to the trainer just now.

Interesting scenario to think about:  if Taillon continues the perfect game through 9, then in the top of the 10th, a grounder to the right and a sac fly score the courtesy runner, the Angels could win a game without ever having a batter reach base.