Angelos Family Fued

Going Underground

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

Well, that’s about as definitive and unqualified as a statement can be.  I’m sure that won’t stop the tin foil hat crowd from conjuring up some secret agenda to move the team, but there’s zero evidence of that.  

Because the owner of a local sports franchise with deeps ties to the community would never lie about moving the team. Would they? Nah never. 

We should take this family at their word, because they have shown to be such upstanding members of the community. They have never led us astray as fans. 

These people care about one thing....M-O-N-E-Y. And if you think they won't pickup and move if a big pile of it is waiting for them somewhere else......I don't know what to tell you.  They don't care about you. They don't care about the fans. They care about the bottom line. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, InsideCoroner said:

Notice that he gave himself an escape hatch in the opening sentence. Maybe he got inside word that Fort McHenry is being razed at the end of the year to make way for an IKEA distribution hub. 

Under Armour World at Fort McHenry. 

18 minutes ago, TradeAngelos said:

Because the owner of a local sports franchise with deeps ties to the community would never lie about moving the team. Would they? Nah never. 

We should take this family at their word, because they have shown to be such upstanding members of the community. They have never led us astray as fans. 

These people care about one thing....M-O-N-E-Y. And if you think they won't pickup and move if a big pile of it is waiting for them somewhere else......I don't know what to tell you.  They don't care about you. They don't care about the fans. They care about the bottom line. 

This may all be true, but I'm not sure you can practically come up with a scenario where Baltimore leaves before Tampa or Oakland or where another jurisdiction is going to have a stadium in place plus another commitment for $600 million. 

The math doesn't add up for a move regardless of any Angelos' personal qualities.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

John would 100% move the team if he could.  I don’t doubt that.  

Based on what? What is the evidence of this? I don't really understand why people automatically assume that a team in Nashville would be more profitable than the Orioles long term. It's a trendy city but not a very big market that's firmly in Braves/SEC country. The football team has a decent stadium right in the middle of downtown Nashville and is one least valuable/supported franchises in the sport. That's before you get into the whole stadium funding issue.  

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, LTO's said:

Based on what? What is the evidence of this? I don't really understand why people automatically assume that a team in Nashville would be more profitable than the Orioles long term. It's a trendy city but not a very big market that's firmly in Braves/SEC country. The football team has a decent stadium right in the middle of downtown Nashville and is one least valuable/supported franchises in the sport. That's before you get into the whole stadium funding issue.  

Because its where he lives.  Its where his wife wants to be.  They want her to build her country music career.  

Ultimately, I think he wants to sell more than anything but if given the option of staying here to taking the team to Nashville, I think he would move in a heartbeat.

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

Because its where he lives.  Its where his wife wants to be.  They want her to build her country music career.  

Ultimately, I think he wants to sell more than anything but if given the option of staying here to taking the team to Nashville, I think he would move in a heartbeat.

That's just total conjecture. The financials don't make much sense along with a host of other reasons. 

6 minutes ago, LTO's said:

That's just total conjecture. The financials don't make much sense along with a host of other reasons. 

Actually none of it is(except I'm guessing that he would rather sell vs move).  Its what I know and its an easily found fact that he has a house/lives in the Nashville area.

57 minutes ago, LTO's said:

I really hope that the discussion about the Orioles moving can be put to rest. There are serious issues and questions about what has occurred and will happen with our team, but none of that involves moving out of Baltimore.

Franchise relocation requires a 3/4 vote of MLB's teams.

MLB has made it pretty clear there won't be any relocations until the Tampa and Oakland situations have been resolved, and then expansion adding two new franchises (or, I suppose, a decision not to expand). MLB wants to show that, even with the large revenue disparity among MLB teams, the existing franchises can thrive as long as they have first-class facilities (that is other than TB and Oakland) -- so that states, counties and cities that want to keep their teams better be prepared to write some big checks for stadium upgrades or replacements. The idea that MLB would allow the Orioles to move and permit Camden Yards to sit empty, with public money available for further modifications, makes no sense. 

• Upvote 1