Winter 2022 40-Man Additions

luismatos4prez

There is one reason why Maverick Handley won’t be added.  Cody Roberts.  For all of the talk about Handley, their stats are very comparable offensively and defensively.   They split the catching duties at Bowie in half.  Roberts, according to Adam Pool, even has the stronger arm.   Even if Handley is exposed and taken, they still have his clone.

23 hours ago, RZNJ said:

There is one reason why Maverick Handley won’t be added.  Cody Roberts.  For all of the talk about Handley, their stats are very comparable offensively and defensively.   They split the catching duties at Bowie in half.  Roberts, according to Adam Pool, even has the stronger arm.   Even if Handley is exposed and taken, they still have his clone.

Roberts Is someone we never hear much about.  I agree that the stats we can see are similar between the two.  Of course, we don’t really know if one is considered a better framer than the other.   And, Handley is two years younger, which can be important.  I’d be interested in comments from @Tony-OHand others who’ve seen them both play.  I saw Handley twice and was impressed with his arm.

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Roberts Is someone we never hear much about.  I agree that the stats we can see are similar between the two.  Of course, we don’t really know if one is considered a better framer than the other.   And, Handley is two years younger, which can be important.  I’d be interested in comments from @Tony-OHand others who’ve seen them both play.  I saw Handley twice and was impressed with his arm.

I don’t think it’s a matter if which one is better.  These two are low ceiling assets but similar enough that you’re not scared of risking both with astronomical odds that you’ll keep one and better than 50/50 that you’ll keep both.

I think that number is closer to 10.

Castro

Ellis

Head 

Reed

Sulser

Chirinos

Nevin 

Odor

Diaz

Aguilar

Players like Vallimont, Zimmerman, Gillaspie, Cano, Vespi,  have value because they can be on the shuttle up and down.  

6 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

I'll just leave you with this:

Roberts 43 passed balls in 1558.1 inning caught (1 every 36 innings) vs Handley 14 PB in 1247 innings caught (1 every 89 innings).

I’d looked at their Bowie numbers.  Roberts 10 in 505 innings (1 every 50.5 innings), Handley 7 in 570 innings (1 every 81 innings).   Still advantage Handley, but closer, and neither particularly good.   Major league average is one every 205 innings.  My guess is that minor league PBs are higher partly due to the skill of the catchers, partly due to pitchers missing their targets badly more often.  

12 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

And Kreihbel could easily be 15

To expand on this..his ERA was over 6 in the second half and his ERA in May was almost 4 (first half ERA was 2.18).

His K rate, which was below average anyway, went to below 6.  His BB was a little higher but basically the same.  The HR rate skyrocketed. His FIP was almost 3 runs higher.

Even in the first half of the year, his FIP was 3.44.  

He’s a dime a dozen guy that you can shake a few out of the reliever tree.

Im not saying you must take him off but with what the Os have to add and what else they should be adding, his place shouldn’t be considered locked in.  As of now, I wouldn’t even consider having him part of the pen.  He would be AAA depth guy at best.

• Upvote 1

My sense of Krehbiel is he gets worn down a little.   I don’t think he could ever be a 65-70 inning guy.   I’d protect him because I don’t agree that that type of reliever is a dime a dozen.   I’ve seen what dime a dozen relievers look like.  You take 10 guys off the waiver wire, maybe 1-2 could be as good as Krehbiel, but you’d watch a lot of bad innings from the other 8-9 trying to identify the 1-2.   

27 minutes ago, Frobby said:

My sense of Krehbiel is he gets worn down a little.   I don’t think he could ever be a 65-70 inning guy.   I’d protect him because I don’t agree that that type of reliever is a dime a dozen.   I’ve seen what dime a dozen relievers look like.  You take 10 guys off the waiver wire, maybe 1-2 could be as good as Krehbiel, but you’d watch a lot of bad innings from the other 8-9 trying to identify the 1-2.   

253 relievers threw at least 30 innings this year.  He was 167th in ERA..the bottom third of the league.he’s a 5th/6th guy in your pen.  They are easy to find if you try.  They should be even easier to develop.

BTw, he was 226th in K rate.

Edited by Sports Guy
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

I feel like if we make a big trade this offseason, Drew Rom will be a guy we trade away.

I obviously could be wrong, but I get the feeling that other teams value him more than we do at this point.

What makes you think other teams value him?