Who do you want? Who do we take?

12 minutes ago, Jammer7 said:

Druw Jones is a tremendous talent. If I was picking him, I would want to have a firm grasp of what motivates him. Is it all about the numbers he puts up, money and fame; or is there an extreme desire to win multiple championships over a long career? Personally, I want a guy that wants to win first, and let the other stuff take care of itself. I think he IS that type of competitor, but all of the social media stuff that is out there should at least make evaluators ask questions.

Please give an example of the social media stuff that is “out there” that bothers you?

6 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'm guessing.

Well, I find the grammar a bit disconcerting, although fairly typical for a teen...but if we're offended, or questioning people's motivation, because they're posting their stats...I think we need to examine our own motivations 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, seak05 said:

Please give an example of the social media stuff that is “out there” that bothers you?

I did not say it bothers me. I want the Orioles to pick him. Let me be clear. Saying he is a bit of a rock star, or NBA star, is not a slap at him. He is an exuberant person, and quite the socialite already. Look him up on YouTube, for instance. Watch the interviews for yourself.

My point in that was that sometimes the outside distractions become more important than the job at hand. I want a hungry player, who wants to win multiple World Series. I think he is that guy, but who knows. 

7 minutes ago, Jammer7 said:

I did not say it bothers me. I want the Orioles to pick him. Let me be clear. Saying he is a bit of a rock star, or NBA star, is not a slap at him. He is an exuberant person, and quite the socialite already. Look him up on YouTube, for instance. Watch the interviews for yourself.

My point in that was that sometimes the outside distractions become more important than the job at hand. I want a hungry player, who wants to win multiple World Series. I think he is that guy, but who knows. 

I'm totally fine with a position player who wants to collect stats.

I'm not picking a guy 1-1 so he can sac bunt.  While it is a team sport a lot of baseball is about the individual matchup of hitter and pitcher.

12 minutes ago, seak05 said:

Well, I find the grammar a bit disconcerting, although fairly typical for a teen...but if we're offended, or questioning people's motivation, because they're posting their stats...I think we need to examine our own motivations 

This made me laugh. So, what you’re saying is that an MLB team should not want to know what motivates a prospective 1-1 pick? That’s hilarious. It is a big part of the evaluation. 

Again, who is “offended?” That is way off, and stop trying to mischaracterize what I wrote.

And I’ll say it again. I want the Orioles to pick Druw Jones. You are barking up the wrong tree.

11 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'm totally fine with a position player who wants to collect stats.

I'm not picking a guy 1-1 so he can sac bunt.  While it is a team sport a lot of baseball is about the individual matchup of hitter and pitcher.

If any of this was an issue, I would have picked another player. But I would choose Druw Jones, based on what information I know. His tweet of his stats is no issue for me. You posted that as an example, but it is not what I was talking about. And my mere mention of it is really getting blown out of proportion.

I’m done with this. Have a nice day, everyone. 

On 6/21/2022 at 9:59 AM, waroriole said:

I’m in no position to say it has to be a specific person. And I don’t think anyone on here is, though there may be some people with scouting backgrounds who have thoroughly considered it. I do think there’s a group of people I would choose from:

Jones

Termarr

Green

Lee

Holliday

Outside of that, I’d have some concerns about the direction. 

This describes me as well.  So I'm more interested in guessing who I think Elias and Sig will take.  Seems to boil down to the list you have, but I doubt it's Green.  Elias seems to like the "hit" and "power" tools plus a lefty bat to go with his build-your-own-ballpark.  Based on mlb.com's five tool assessments, Termarr Johnson is a 70 hit / 60 power / LHB. Lee is 65/55/Switch.  Holliday is 60/55/LHB.  So I'll guess Termarr is the pick.  Lee as the most likely other option, since he is also a college player.

3 minutes ago, beantownrefugee said:

This describes me as well.  So I'm more interested in guessing who I think Elias and Sig will take.  Seems to boil down to the list you have, but I doubt it's Green.  Elias seems to like the "hit" and "power" tools plus a lefty bat to go with his build-your-own-ballpark.  Based on mlb.com's five tool assessments, Termarr Johnson is a 70 hit / 60 power / LHB. Lee is 65/55/Switch.  Holliday is 60/55/LHB.  So I'll guess Termarr is the pick.  Lee as the most likely other option, since he is also a college player.

I guess what we're finding out is that those scouting grades are kind of a consensus as well but look at Johnson's hitting for instance.  Some scout or scouts want to give him an 80 in hitting.  The consensus seems to be 70.   Keith Law and I'm sure a few others think it's a 60.     The question is, what does Elias and his people think.    

2 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

That doesn't just go for Jones.  I want to have that conversation with anyone I'm picking 1-1 and giving 7M+ to.

Of course I don't really care if their motivation is a bit on the selfish side.  If their overriding concern is being the best I'm OK with that as long as it doesn't involve tearing down their teammates.

Pretty much where I am on this.   First, I’m mostly concerned with talent and drive to succeed.   Only after those issues are considered do I put any weight on ego, being a good teammate etc.  Those are important but not as important as the first two.   

46 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

https://www.mlb.com/news/mlb-mock-draft-june-22-2022

That interview with Termarr Johnson...I can see Elias picking this guy if he's as big of a baseball rat/gym rat as he says he is.  

I’m sold give me him 1:1 love his attitude you can just here is passion for the game when he speaks. Sounds like he’s got the kinda instincts baseball intelligence that can’t be taught. This young man would be a great fit in Baltimore and could see him being the face of the franchise!