Samuel Basallo 2022

Tony-OH

1 hour ago, Jammer7 said:

Good to see his growth and success. Sometimes that kind of thing is contagious for the other guys. I hope he stays there for the remainder of the FCL. At 17, first year stateside and all, no need to push him this year. Especially if they have a legitimate interest in him remaining behind the plate.

Agree, I would keep him there at age 17, there are other adjustments like culture and being a baseball professional. I would assume he has a strong support system in FLA to help him be more comfortable being away from home and being a adult.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Jammer7 said:

Good to see his growth and success. Sometimes that kind of thing is contagious for the other guys. I hope he stays there for the remainder of the FCL. At 17, first year stateside and all, no need to push him this year. Especially if they have a legitimate interest in him remaining behind the plate.

And sometimes these kids turn into Juan Soto. Hoping for that tbh.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, LookinUp said:

And sometimes these kids turn into Juan Soto. Hoping for that tbh.

I’m really looking forward to the day our Latin American program produces a guy who rockets through the minors and has major league all star potential.   Other than Schoop and Eduardo Rodriguez, we haven’t had a player from our system who was a clear top 5 system prospect.   And even those two, who’ve had really good major league careers, were never in consideration as the top prospect in our system. 

(Note: I do recall one year where Tony rated one of our Latin prospects who was really low in our system as our no. 1 prospect.   Our system was really pathetic that year and Tony really reached for that guy.  I thought his name was Luis Jimenez, but I can’t find him on BB-ref.)

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

Basallo with his fourth homer today (.312/.357/.494).

He also had an RBI single off of Nick Bitsko, the Rays 2020 first round pick who is getting his first taste of pro ball after having labrum surgery in December 2020.

Four HRs in one day?  Pretty good.  😉

There are 5 players head of Basallo for homeruns.   A 22 year old.  3 20 year olds and one 19 year old.   The 17 year old Basallo is tied with 6 others with 4.

Basallo also caught 3 of 4 basestealers today and now has caught 10 of 27 on the year.    17 for another month!!!!

• Upvote 2

It’s so early for him and it’s tough to gage this level of competition but I think I’d put him at the bottom of the top 10 in terms of our prospects. 

Gunnar, Hall, GROd, Cowser, Kjerstad, Mayo, Westburg and Stowers are obviously there, in whatever order you choose to put them in.

So that leaves you with guys like Prieto, Norby, Baumler, etc….for me, I’m taking Basallo over all of them.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

It’s so early for him and it’s tough to gage this level of competition but I think I’d put him at the bottom of the top 10 in terms of our prospects. 

Gunnar, Hall, GROd, Cowser, Kjerstad, Mayo, Westburg and Stowers are obviously there, in whatever order you choose to put them in.

So that leaves you with guys like Prieto, Norby, Baumler, etc….for me, I’m taking Basallo over all of them.

Was thinking the same thing last night.  Huge upside puts him ahead of Prieto/Norby, etc.

• 3 weeks later...

Basallo hit his 6th homer today.  Currently sitting at .295/.372/.500 with 26 RBI in 30 games, to go with the six homers.   He’s also 3rd in the league in RBI unless someone passed him today.  

Always hard to tell about defense in the FCL, but he has 6 errors and 6 passed balls, and has allowed 32 SB against 15 CS, all in just 21 starts behind the dish.  His CS% of 32% is a tick better than league average 30%, but he’s being run on more frequently than the average catcher there, 1.5 successful steals per game compared to 1.3 league average.  And yes, 6 PB in 21 games is a bit high even in the FCL, though the league allows about .22 PB per game.

So, hit-first catcher?  On the other hand, he doesn’t turn 18 for another two weeks, so he’s got plenty of time to learn.  Among the players BB-ref lists as the top 100 hitters, he’s the second-youngest in the league.  

Edited by Frobby
  • Upvote 4

• 1 month later...

Bumping a bit for visibility…

Just turned 18 and has 11 professional HRs already.  He basically held serve after being promoted to the FCL this year.

SSS for Silas but Basallo’s PB and CS% are better than Ardoin’s.

Even if Basallo doesn’t reach his ceiling of a C, the floor is a 1B thumper.  He has logged 10 games there and seems to be capable there.

• Upvote 1

Entering next year, for me Basallo 2022 has sort of had the Carlos Delgado starter kit kind of season.

My first hope in 2023 will be him continuing to show himself being close enough to the best 17-18 year old hitter on the planet to make training this ballplayer catcher defensive skills not the optimal strategy.

Basallo and Holliday should be roommates in Sarasota this winter.    2023 Delmarva maybe an even split of the catching reps between Willems and Basallo until anyone can push earning a promotion.

Has Maikol Hernandez's 2022 not been enough to get him to Delmarva?    SS reps there could be interesting to watch, as the one good thing I recall hearing on Maikol was he was playing SS everyday.

11 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

Entering next year, for me Basallo 2022 has sort of had the Carlos Delgado starter kit kind of season.

My first hope in 2023 will be him continuing to show himself being close enough to the best 17-18 year old hitter on the planet to make training this ballplayer catcher defensive skills not the optimal strategy.

Basallo and Holliday should be roommates in Sarasota this winter.    2023 Delmarva maybe an even split of the catching reps between Willems and Basallo until anyone can push earning a promotion.

Has Maikol Hernandez's 2022 not been enough to get him to Delmarva?    SS reps there could be interesting to watch, as the one good thing I recall hearing on Maikol was he was playing SS everyday.

I would think not but they pushed Willems to Delmarva this year without any prior FCL track record to speak of.   They don't seem like they've lost confidence in Hernandez potential so it's certainly not out of the question.    Since they jumped Bencosme, virtually right past the FCL his year, I was toying with the possibility of them jump Aron Estrada to Delmarva next year to be Holliday's keystone partner.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Just Regular said:

Not that it really adds to this conversation, but I'd imagine that Basallo is playing on an H-2B visa which usually only allows for length of stay that coincides with specific event/season dates. If the Orioles want him in Sarasota for the winter they'll need to sponsor him for a specific event. If not, he heads home to the DR for the winter until ST. 

• Thanks 2