Mancini trade market heating up? Orioles willing to deal Santander? Yankees and Mets?

Sports Guy

I’d hate dealing Santander to the Yankees. First off, any move that helps that team is an affront to common decency. Second, their prospects are always overrated so most trades involving NY minor leaguers end up being swindles of the other team. Any deal between the O’s and Yankees has to hurt them in the long run or it’s a no go. 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, jabba72 said:

From the NY Post article. Loks like there is an active market right now. 

Good pull.  Skimmed right over that.

I think Tate is dealt but unsure about Lopez.

All of these guys should be available.

Needing to be blown away to deal Hays and Mullins shows they are willing to listen.

56 minutes ago, ShoelesJoe said:

I’d hate dealing Santander to the Yankees. First off, any move that helps that team is an affront to common decency. Second, their prospects are always overrated so most trades involving NY minor leaguers end up being swindles of the other team. Any deal between the O’s and Yankees has to hurt them in the long run or it’s a no go. 

If it was Volpe I'd be okay

• Haha 1

Did anyone hear Elias on 105.7 the Fan yesterday? I heard he said we'd be both buyers and sellers.

I just don't know what I'd even want for Lopez and Tate. Are we trying to build a winner for next year? If so, aren't they part of that? 

I honestly have no idea what type of deal I'd like.

6 hours ago, LookinUp said:

Did anyone hear Elias on 105.7 the Fan yesterday? I heard he said we'd be both buyers and sellers.

I just don't know what I'd even want for Lopez and Tate. Are we trying to build a winner for next year? If so, aren't they part of that? 

I wouldn’t count on Tate to be part of it.  Lopez maybe.

I would think Tate would be part of a package, not traded individually.

They should deal Tate, Mancini and Santander…and get Snell.

There are others I would deal as well but I’m not giving some of them away for nothing.  As much as I don’t like Lyles, his innings do provide value to this team, especially with GRod out and Hall struggling.   I would still deal him but don’t think I’m giving him up for basically nothing either.  The saved money isn’t that important.

The wild cards are Mullins, Hays and Lopez.  If the offers are strong enough, you move them.

The most interesting thing to look for this deadline is the money aspect of things.  How does the Angelos family handle this?

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

IMO when a player is having a crazy outlier year like Lopez is then you’ve got to cash in on it…especially when it’s something as volatile as relief pitching. Lopez is one of the best in the game right now and if someone is willing to give up something good for him I think you gotta take that deal. 

1 hour ago, ShoelesJoe said:

The Yankees won’t want Santander since he can’t go to Toronto. Santanders value is going to be highly limited because of that and it makes him worth keeping around probably. Even if it were a NL team, they’d have significantly less competition regarding other teams interested. 

29 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

The most interesting thing to look for this deadline is the money aspect of things.  How does the Angelos family handle this?

This is a key part of this whole discussion. I doubt the Orioles really go for it at any point until the team is sold. You could make an argument that next off season is a good time to start supplementing free agent pieces but we all know that’s not going to happen. Unfortunately they are probably going to be kicking the can down the road for a few more years…so a lot of these players won’t be on the next play off team. Maybe in Rutschmans arbitration years 

59 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

Sellers as in it makes sense to trade Mancini and we have A direct replacement ready in Stowers. 

Buyers as in we might make a small move to get a vet SP on an expiring deal like Jose Quintana. 

A lot can change over the next 3-4 weeks. Hopefully we claw back to .500 and make this really interesting. 

2 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

Apparently he said we’re in the market for starters with 2+ years of control.

Sounds good. I mean we are literally set at position players 1-9 with the #1 pick and top bonus pool. We can afford to trade some of our 15-40 bats in deals now. Guys like Norby, Haskin, Williams, Hernaiz, Hall, Bannon, Nevin, Stewart, Watson, Ortiz, etc…. Not looking to bring back Aces, but SPs like Fedde, and Lamet. 

1 minute ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Sounds good. I mean we are literally set at position players 1-9 with the #1 pick and top bonus pool. We can afford to trade some of our 15-40 bats in deals now. Guys like Norby, Haskin, Williams, Hernaiz, Hall, Bannon, Nevin, Stewart, Watson, Ortiz, etc…. Not looking to bring back Aces, but SPs like Fedde, and Lamet. 

Sure, but most of those guys aren't netting you much. 

I'd be interested to see if Mayo would be on the block if we draft Holliday or Brooks Lee.

I do NOT want to trade Mayo, but could imagine him and Cowser being two big chips we have if we dealt from the minors (assumes Grayson, Hall, Henderson and Westburg are off the table).

Mancini, Santander, Hays and Mullins (plus Lopez and Tate) all have value too, so big deals could be in the offing. There's just a lot of directions Elias could go.

I think Mayo, Cowser, and Kjerstad are off the table for this deadline. If we do land a SP it won’t be Gerrit Cole. It’ll be a guy that has 1-1.5+ years remaining that will be stop gaps for the rotation. That’s why I mentioned Lamet, Fedde, and Santana. Those types. The Pads are trying to give away SP to cut salary. 

I think we only trade Santander if we we’re 10+ under .500, and we get fair market value. Trading Santander weakens the 2023 team. We have Stowers to replace Mancini. Looking for Diaz, Neustrom, or Stewart, to DH next year is a downgrade. 

I also think that we hang onto the bullpen. We have a good thing going. Bradish and Baumann could end up as potential replacements for Tate, but they both have a lot to prove, including health. 

A lot can happen over the next month.