Mancini trade market heating up? Orioles willing to deal Santander? Yankees and Mets?

Sports Guy

I seem to remember when the Nats acquired Josh Bell we had a couple conversations if the Nats offer was good enough for Mancini.   The market probably will give us a side by side in the next few weeks.

BOS-MIL-SDP perhaps other top possibilities alongside NYM for the Bell-Mancini (Nelson Cruz?) type guy.

5 minutes ago, RVAOsFan said:

Let me preface this with saying I know this isn’t realistic.

Extend Mancini. Make him the vet in the clubhouse for the next few years.

Trade Santander to make room for Stowers and improve pitching.

Would you have posted this if he had struck out in the 9th tonight? 😉

8 minutes ago, RVAOsFan said:

Agreed. Just said in the other thread he deserves to see this through. 

3 minutes ago, PHRESH said:

Would you have posted this if he had struck out in the 9th tonight? 😉

No way, I would have waited until he did something good! Honestly he’s just easy to root for even if I know it makes no sense to keep him around. 

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

Just now, RVAOsFan said:

No way, I would have waited until he did something good! Honestly he’s just easy to root for even if I know it makes no sense to keep him around. 

Yeah, he's definitely a guy you can root for. He'll be missed if he's traded for sure. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, RVAOsFan said:

I think the price of what we’d need to get in return is going up.   He’s playing well and the team is having a respectable year.   It’s easier than before to make a case for keeping him.   Logic says we probably should still trade him, but we need a better return to do it.   

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

I think the price of what we’d need to get in return is going up.   He’s playing well and the team is having a respectable year.   It’s easier than before to make a case for keeping him.   Logic says we probably should still trade him, but we need a better return to do it.   

Does Trey have any say in the matter? I don't get the impression he wants to leave. 

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Another way to say it is, since he won't bring a mid-rotation starter in return, might as well keep him around for veteran presence. (You could even say the same for Odor).

8 hours ago, RVAOsFan said:

Exactly. Please post more. It makes me happy to read this. 

8 hours ago, RVAOsFan said:

I would be OK with this as long as it's not a long term deal. 1-2 years would allow him to expire without consequence or could push the timeline to trade him a year or two down the road. Question is, does Trey do that when this is likely his one shot opportunity to sign a long term contract and make big bucks.

• Upvote 1

Let’s extend Mancini. I doubt he would take a short term deal. Let’s start at 5/75. 

I don’t think Santander alone brings back good value in trade. Out of all our prospects the guy I’d be willing to move is Stowers. We have Cowser and even Kjherstad waiting in the wings both should be ready next year.

Let’s put a package of Santander,Stowers and pull pen arm say Tate or possibly Lopez together for a Sp plus.

9 minutes ago, jrobb21613 said:

Let’s extend Mancini. I doubt he would take a short term deal. Let’s start at 5/75. 

I don’t think Santander alone brings back good value in trade. Out of all our prospects the guy I’d be willing to move is Stowers. We have Cowser and even Kjherstad waiting in the wings both should be ready next year.

Let’s put a package of Santander,Stowers and pull pen arm say Tate or possibly Lopez together for a Sp plus.

Let’s not 

• Upvote 1

My guess would be that we're not going to get much for either Trey or Santander. Lopez maybe, if he stays on track, but for exactly the reasons that would make him a valuable arm for us to hang on to: a repertoire of pitches that gives him the potential to be more than just a one-season flash. With the uncertainties in our starting rotation, which will persist to some extent during the next few years, we need the type of deep reliable pen that the Royals had in their recent WS-seasons. Might be a better bet than a mediocre starting pitcher.

The Orioles have room for Odor if they want to keep him around, given that Urias is back and they are carrying dead weight now in Nevin and Araúz, who seem incapable of outperforming Rougned. If Mateo continues not to hit, he becomes the utility player / late-inning defensive replacement and we hope one of the Norfolk or Bowie infielders takes over SS, reminiscent of 2012's Machado.