Mancini trade market heating up? Orioles willing to deal Santander? Yankees and Mets?

Sports Guy

5 hours ago, jrobb21613 said:

Let’s extend Mancini. I doubt he would take a short term deal. Let’s start at 5/75. 

I don’t think Santander alone brings back good value in trade. Out of all our prospects the guy I’d be willing to move is Stowers. We have Cowser and even Kjherstad waiting in the wings both should be ready next year.

Let’s put a package of Santander,Stowers and pull pen arm say Tate or possibly Lopez together for a Sp plus.

No way, this is how other teams and our past FO got riddled with bad contracts and lack of roster flexibility.

Edited by Chaka Garcia
  • Upvote 1

On 7/8/2022 at 11:29 PM, Yossarian said:

Does Trey have any say in the matter? I don't get the impression he wants to leave. 

There have been a couple of occasions earlier this season, after hitting long fly ball outs to left (maybe even after a double), where he was cussin’ about playing here! 🤣

6 hours ago, jrobb21613 said:

Let’s extend Mancini. I doubt he would take a short term deal. Let’s start at 5/75. 

I don’t think Santander alone brings back good value in trade. Out of all our prospects the guy I’d be willing to move is Stowers. We have Cowser and even Kjherstad waiting in the wings both should be ready next year.

Let’s put a package of Santander,Stowers and pull pen arm say Tate or possibly Lopez together for a Sp plus.

I doubt Mancini would get  a 5 year deal with his cancer history.  Maybe 2 or 3 years.  Maybe 2 years with an option and a buyout.  2/23m

3 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I doubt Mancini would get  a 5 year deal with his cancer history.  Maybe 2 or 3 years.  Maybe 2 years with an option and a buyout.  2/23m

I’d like to see him stay….I wonder if he’d take 4 years for $44-48 million to stay. His contract option is $10 million.

6 hours ago, jrobb21613 said:

There is no way Mancini is getting anywhere near that long a contract or that much money on the open market.  In his wildest dreams, Mancini is probably looking at something like the 3/$37.5 mm that Trumbo got.   

So the List has Lopez at #32 and buried behind a slew of lesser relievers. If the list is based on any kind of rankings I don’t put any weight in it. 

They call Trea an attractive hitter with limited defensively but never mentioned that for their #3 DH/1B Josh Bell.

Id be interested to see if we can get Snydergaard or

Bumgarner in a deal. Bumgarner would be a salary dump. He’s owed the balance of $23 million (11.5),$23 million next year, and 14 million in 2024.

Id offer to pay $5.5, $13, and his full 2024. You might be able to get it done for a couple of our  15-30. Since they are likely dealing Santander, Mancini, and at very least Lopez from the pen the result would still likely be ++. 

As I mentioned in another post, I think you end up getting a couple of decent prospects each for Trea and Anthony. Plus a key guy or two for Lopez if so.

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

There is no way Mancini is getting anywhere near that long a contract or that much money on the open market.  In his wildest dreams, Mancini is probably looking at something like the 3/$37.5 mm that Trumbo got.   

I just dont think he’s getting that much. I think 1B and DH are devalued for players with limited flexibility. As I said in my other post. I suspect he’d take 3 or 4 at $10MM per. His girlfriend/fiancée lives and works here which probably helps with his motivation to stay. Trumbo’s contract was another Peter Angelos blunder where he over paid a limited player who likely gets no where close to that.

1 hour ago, Chaka Garcia said:

No way, this is how other teams and our past FO got riddled with bad contracts and lack of roster flexibility.

The Mancini contract is not a good idea but the trade idea is.  You can’t keep everyone, some guys will fail, some wont.  If you find a deal where guys like Stowers and Lopez can headline to obtain a legit start pitcher with several years of service time, that’s a move you make.

1 minute ago, Roll Tide said:

I just dont think he’s getting that much. I think 1B and DH are devalued for players with limited flexibility. As I said in my other post. I suspect he’d take 3 or 4 at $10MM per. His girlfriend/fiancée lives and works here which probably helps with his motivation to stay. Trumbo’s contract was another Peter Angelos blunder where he over paid a limited player who likely gets no where close to that.

Teams need offense and offense is down this year.  If there aren’t many bats available and Trey continues to hit, he will have a good market and a trade will emerge that is worthy of moving a rental.

The question is, do you do it even if that trade emerges?

4 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Teams need offense and offense is down this year.  If there aren’t many bats available and Trey continues to hit, he will have a good market and a trade will emerge that is worthy of moving a rental.

It was already going to be a PR hit moving Trey even if they’re bottom dwellers just because he’s a fan favorite. Imagine how fans would react if he was traded AND they’re a few games from a wild card spot. 

I think it’d have to be a pretty good trade and I have a hard time believing Trey has any more value to anyone else than he would to the Orioles, assuming they don’t start losing a lot between now and the trade deadline. 

27 minutes ago, oriole said:

It was already going to be a PR hit moving Trey even if they’re bottom dwellers just because he’s a fan favorite. Imagine how fans would react if he was traded AND they’re a few games from a wild card spot. 

I think it’d have to be a pretty good trade and I have a hard time believing Trey has any more value to anyone else than he would to the Orioles, assuming they don’t start losing a lot between now and the trade deadline. 

Who cares about the PR stuff.  That will get muted by all the young kids coming up and the team continuing to be exciting.

PR isn’t why you keep him.

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

If you are not extending him you need to deal him imo (or make his option official if he’s in for it).