Mancini trade market heating up? Orioles willing to deal Santander? Yankees and Mets?

Sports Guy

10 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I’d rather just keep Mancini and Tate than get another OF in Ramirez. 

So Ramirez would be adding a 19 year old prospects to a couple of pitchers. Ramirez is a high ceiling OF that could develop into a 4 or 5 tool player. The pitchers that our organization lacks now. Elias trades Trey because we are still in the process and you need to get something for him rather than getting nothing at seasons end.

14 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

So Ramirez would be adding a 19 year old prospects to a couple of pitchers. Ramirez is a high ceiling OF that could develop into a 4 or 5 tool player. The pitchers that our organization lacks now. Elias trades Trey because we are still in the process and you need to get something for him rather than getting nothing at seasons end.

How does that help us to compete this year, and next year. I don’t want to waste any of Adley’s 7 years. 

2 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

The rebuild is done…They would be trading ARB players close to free agency and surplus. You trade Mancini because he’s a free agent and you aren’t resigning him. Santander is traceable due to depth. You don’t shortcut the process in order to make a run at a wild card.

Im holding onto Mancini unless I get something I like in return. The future is now. Elias shouldnt trade Mancini simply because he's a pending Free Agent. His bat is helping the team right now so Mancini can stay. 

49 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

How does that help us to compete this year, and next year. I don’t want to waste any of Adley’s 7 years. 

This is the same thinking that has our organization on unstable ground since 1983. We’ve had a few decent season and then quickly dropped back into the toilet. Elias is not going to drop the plan for a shot a a 1 game low probability playoff run. 

We have replacements for Mancini/Santander and Lopez now. (Stowers and Bautista). You don’t give up value for these guys by hanging on for a low playoff run a year early. I think you could see us add something in a salary dump by someone. But, I’m certain he’s not going to hold back for this year.

BTW, when they bring up Stowers, Westburg, Vavra etc from AAA there is no reason to expect a lesser year next. Hopefully we don’t start the way we did this season.

FWIW, Trey is outta here either way and I don’t see them investigating in Santander. To allow them to exit and getting no return is not a move that strengthens the organization.

I want to win as much as the next guy but not at the expense of the long term goals of the organization 

• Upvote 2

35 minutes ago, jabba72 said:

Im holding onto Mancini unless I get something I like in return. The future is now. Elias shouldnt trade Mancini simply because he's a pending Free Agent. His bat is helping the team right now so Mancini can stay. 

Not according to Elias! But, he did say they were done giving guys away. I suspect Trey, Santander, and Lopez all have value to a contender 

31 minutes ago, jabba72 said:

It would be OK to make some trades that leave a dent in this year's team if they provide a potential upgrade for future teams. Having a shot at the post-season this year is no big deal, and we can be certain that the Orioles will be be in the post-season hunt every year, without fail, starting either next year or the following year. And our general manager has decided, and even told us, that he's not too focused on the 2022 Orioles. Maybe we should be moving every non-starting pitcher with trade value for guys who are younger. We could end up with the number 1 farm system again, and isn't that what it's all about?  :rolleyes:

34 minutes ago, spiritof66 said:

It would be OK to make some trades that leave a dent in this year's team if they provide a potential upgrade for future teams. Having a shot at the post-season this year is no big deal, and we can be certain that the Orioles will be be in the post-season hunt every year, without fail, starting either next year or the following year. And our general manager has decided, and even told us, that he's not too focused on the 2022 Orioles. Maybe we should be moving every non-starting pitcher with trade value for guys who are younger. We could end up with the number 1 farm system again, and isn't that what it's all about?  :rolleyes:

Your right it’s about the long term plan

I'm not sure that trading veterans at the deadline makes this team any weaker.  If one of Mancini or Santander is traded, is Stowers a downgrade?  I don't know for sure, but I don't think so.  Is Vavra worse than Odor or Westburg worse than Mateo?  Is Harvey worse than Lyles?  I think we can trade or DFA a number of veterans and actually get better.  Lopez is the only question mark for me.  Is Baustista ready to close and, if so, who replaces him in the late inning righty role?  Same question could apply to Perez.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

I'm not sure that trading veterans at the deadline makes this team any weaker.  If one of Mancini or Santander is traded, is Stowers a downgrade?  I don't know for sure, but I don't think so.  Is Vavra worse than Odor or Westburg worse than Mateo?  Is Harvey worse than Lyles?  I think we can trade or DFA a number of veterans and actually get better.  Lopez is the only question mark for me.  Is Baustista ready to close and, if so, who replaces him in the late inning righty role?  Same question could apply to Perez.

I agree. I'm only hesitant about trading Lopez - basically, I would want a return more befitting of an established closer in order to pull the trigger. It would have to upgrade something else on the ML roster, like SP depth. As for who could replace him, the options aren't great especially if you believe that the O's prefer to (eventually??) start Hall instead of put him in the bullpen. You've got the likes of Baumann, Gillaspie, Sulser, Uvila, and Vespi. Nothing that screams "back end" to me. But you could certainly get by okay with Bautista, Tate, Perez, and Krehbiel holding down the fort. 

59 minutes ago, interloper said:

For Mancini, I want at least a decent AA or AAA SP prospect. Bradish level. Plus a low minors flyer.

For Lopez I want 2 top-20s and a top 30. 

I suggested them for 

#6/#9  Allan or Hamel (Trey)

#4 Ramirez (Lopez)

#18 Dominquez (Lopez)

#26 Suarez (Lopez)

So it meets your asking for Lopez but Allan is coming off TJ and probably pitches in the fall league and AA next summer. Hamel 2 starts in A was just promoted probably could see AA before the end of the year. Maybe they could squeeze a DSL guy or 2. Since 16 of our top 17 are at AA or higher I focused on A ball players and I believe that is where their quality is.

1 hour ago, interloper said:

For Mancini, I want at least a decent AA or AAA SP prospect. Bradish level. Plus a low minors flyer.

For Lopez I want 2 top-20s and a top 30. 

Where do you think Lopez fits in the Givens-Castro hierarchy?

Givens - was in his Arb 2 year when traded.  Had a 1.38 ERA at the time (but in the short 2020 season), 3.32 career ERA.  Return was Vavra, Nevin and Deson.

Castro - was in his Arb 1 year when traded.  Had a 4.06 career ERA, 4.01 that season.  Return was Kevin Smith and Victor Gonzalez. 

Lopez - is in his Arb 1 season, career ERA 5.55 but 1.62 this year as a reliever.