Brandon Hyde- Manager of the Future?

joelala

I think its too soon to say.   The pen is showing some cracks  that he is still going to need to manage through in the 2nd half.  He  and Elias must deal with that.

Overall  Hyde does very well with most parts of the game but managing the pen the rest of the season will be critical.

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I think its too soon to say.   The pen is showing some cracks  that he is still going to need to manage through in the 2nd half.  He  and Elias must deal with that.

Overall  Hyde does very well with most parts of the game but managing the pen the rest of the season will be critical.

If the pen shows cracks and has issues the rest of the way, it’s not because of Hyde.  

And of course he deserves a longer term chance with a team that has actual talent on it.  Been saying this for years now.  

All of these fans wanted Hyde gone because of this decision or that decision.  Meanwhile, he’s trying to teach these kids, put them in situations they can learn from, etc…he’s been largely given a roster of terrible players, playing in one of the toughest divisions in all of pro sports and people wonder why we can’t win more games.  

The concept of getting rid of him and not allowing him a chance to see this through is one of the dumbest things I have read from Os fans over the last 20 years.

This isn’t to say he will manage us to a World Series or that he is infallible or that I and everyone else won’t want him gone after 2023.  It just means he has been through a ton of losing, for a franchise that lost on purpose, and he has kept the team together, had them play hard, etc…and he deserves at least one season with the gun loaded and some actual bullets to fire.

And at that point, we can then see where things stand and whether or not he deserves to keep his job.  

• Upvote 4

21 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

If the pen shows cracks and has issues the rest of the way, it’s not because of Hyde.  

And of course he deserves a longer term chance with a team that has actual talent on it.  Been saying this for years now.  

All of these fans wanted Hyde gone because of this decision or that decision.  Meanwhile, he’s trying to teach these kids, put them in situations they can learn from, etc…he’s been largely given a roster of terrible players, playing in one of the toughest divisions in all of pro sports and people wonder why we can’t win more games.  

The concept of getting rid of him and not allowing him a chance to see this through is one of the dumbest things I have read from Os fans over the last 20 years.

This isn’t to say he will manage us to a World Series or that he is infallible or that I and everyone else won’t want him gone after 2023.  It just means he has been through a ton of losing, for a franchise that lost on purpose, and he has kept the team together, had them play hard, etc…and he deserves at least one season with the gun loaded and some actual bullets to fire.

And at that point, we can then see where things stand and whether or not he deserves to keep his job.  

If the pen collapses Hyde will not look as good as he does now.   He is skating pretty close to that right now.  I am not saying is will happen but the risk is there.

Urias' return to boost the offense does help though.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, waroriole said:

I didn’t understand setting Bautista up to fail tonight. 4th game in 5 days, after the velocity was a tick down yesterday. Why not use Khriebel there?

He was throwing 100/101 last night with a devastating splitter. Got 4 outs, 3 via strikeout.  Bad play by Odor. Great player took him deep.  I disagree. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

If the pen collapses Hyde will not look as good as he does now.   He is skating pretty close to that right now.  I am not saying is will happen but the risk is there.

Urias' return to boost the offense does help though.

If the pen collapses it’s because the pitchers out there aren’t that good and the law of averages is just leveling out.  It will have nothing to do with Hyde.

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

If the pen collapses it’s because the pitchers out there aren’t that good and the law of averages is just leveling out.  It will have nothing to do with Hyde.

Maybe. Maybe not.   My bet is that Hyde is telling Elias he wants to keep the pitchers he has over Diplan and Sulser.   While I agree that neither are great relievers at some point the current relievers may need a rest.  Its a Hyde/Elias decision.

Maybe. Maybe not.   My bet is that Hyde is telling Elias he wants to keep the pitchers he has over Diplan and Sulser.   While I agree that neither are great relievers at some point the current relievers may need a rest.  Its a Hyde/Elias decision.

There lies the problem with trying to win. You can’t just shuttle players in/out like you have a ST roster. I think the solution is to send down Watkins after his start tonight, regardless of results, because of the two off days coming up. That gives you an extra arm. 

Players are DFAed for a reason.  Players move around for a reason.  Players are available for free for a reason.  Hyde and Elias have done a great job getting a lot out of these guys.

Scrubs like Diplan and Sulser aren’t stopping anything.  This is the new modern game.  This is how starters and relievers are going to be used.  If the pen collapses, it’s because they aren’t actually that good, not because Hyde has made mistakes.