2022 5th Round Pick (#137): Trace Bright - P - (Jr) Auburn University

1 hour ago, Stotle said:

He's a COVID sophomore and true junior. Since he debuted in 2020 with the shortened season he got the extra year. So I believe he technically has two more years of eligibility left despite turning 22 this October. I'm interested to see what he looks like this time next year -- lots of material to work with but just didn't put it all together at Auburn. If Baltimore can turn these profiles into MLB arms they'll really be cooking with gas.

Thanks for the confirmation. I was lookin gat his stats and I was thinking if anything he's a COVID soph than a SR. The Orioles have had some luck with guys like Noah Denoyer. We'll see what they can do.

• Tony-OH changed the title to 2022 5th Round Pick (#137): Trace Bright - P - (Jr) Auburn University
16 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

6.01 ERA in his college career across three seasons.  Awesome!

SEC average pitcher in 2022 had a 4.56 ERA/5.13 RA with 4.0 BB/9, 10 K/9, 1.1 HR/9. He was 5.13/5.69, 4.2 BB/9, 10.5 K/9, 0.9 HR/9.  So... eh.

Perusing the 2017 SEC pitching rosters... Zach Logue is on the A's right now, he had a 4.97 for Kentucky before being drafted.  Collin Snider is being beaten about the head and shoulders for the Royals (my God, how did that organization win the Series), but he's in the majors and in '17 for Vanderbilt allowed 7.29 R/9. Graham Ashcraft has made 10 starts for the Reds this year and in his short college career gave up 69 runs in 80 innings.  Sometimes the project pitcher works out.

• Upvote 3

50 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Sometimes the project pitcher works out.

Part of me wants to point out that any pitcher not picked at the very top is a project, because it's true, particularly for high school arms.

But it's also really fair to point out that a guy without previous dominance is more of a project than someone who has significant innings under his belt where he's learned a little bit of the art of pitching.

The O's are taking a leap that the strong arm will also develop command and feel for multiple pitches. So, that's a project, or at least an increased risk IMO. 

• 2 weeks later...