Rutschman vs Witt

Filmstudy

3 minutes ago, Safelykept said:

Poor Adley, nothing like getting kicked when your down.

Well, he's not having a great season.

The book hasn't been written on these two yet...they still have a long way to go in their careers.  And Adley means a lot to this team, there's no doubt about that.  Leadership, intangibles, all those pesky things that aren't measured in WAR...they mean a lot and I do believe he has a lot of those things.

But no one can tell me that the choice, as it stands right now, is obvious.  What worries me about Adley is the back issue that he's been having lately, hopefully that's nothing long term.  

Witt is the dude.  I do believe there's a chance that Adley is Wieters 2.0, a very good catcher but not the "Joe Mauer with power" that we thought we were getting both times now.

But like I said, the book hasn't been written.  At the present, Witt looks like a generational, transformative player.  Adley just looks like a solid catcher that might be already experiencing a decline.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, TopGunnar said:

It’s not even close who the better player is. Witt is going to be getting MVP votes for 10 years and Rutschman is Weiters 2.0. Adley has been a huge disappointment in my eyes. He was supposed to be the guy. Hes far From that.

Yes unfortunately more and more it's looking very much like that outcome again. The Orioles keep drafting the next Joe Mauer's and  Buster Possey's  and well...... Nevermind. Lol

4 minutes ago, Baseball fandom said:

If folks recall and correct me if I'm wrong I believe Witt was the consensus perceived #1 pick going into that season and Adley just exploded that season. Man wouldn't Witt look mighty good in orange and black right now sigh. 

I’m not sure he was consensus. Adley was looked at as a top pick candidate entering the season as well and then he had a big year. 

Witt was always looked at an ultra talented player though and I do think more people thought he should be the first pick entering the year 

Just now, Sports Guy said:

I’m not sure he was consensus. Adley was looked at as a top pick candidate entering the season as well and then he had a big year. 

Witt was always looked at an ultra talented player though and I do think more people thought he should be the first pick entering the year 

Right I just recall seeing so many articles about Will being the number 1 pick going in and reading up on him thinking he may be a future Oriole. I know one thing I don't hear a lot of people screaming for a Adley extension the last couple of months like we were earlier hell I don't hear people doing that for Gumner either lately with his struggles too.. 

Adley was the lower risk college bat over the high reward HS stud.

It was right up the alley of our low risk, conservative GM who will never get us a championship.

And there are several other players in the 2019 top 10 who will far exceed Adleys career WAR

1 minute ago, webbrick2010 said:

It was right up the alley of our low risk, conservative GM who will never get us a championship.

And there are several other players in the 2019 top 10 who will far exceed Adleys career WAR

Adley has also been a home run of a pick…and his value off the field has been immense.

But he’s not the best player we could have taken.

• Upvote 1

Hindsight is always 20/20.  Obviously right now, if you could get in the way back machine, the O's take Witt at 1-1 in 2019.  Adley is going to be a good major leaguer, certainly not a bust of a draft pick.  Watching him, he does not have hall of fame talent, plus it looks like catching wears him down during the season.  I think his back is bothering him this year, is hurting his numbers, but is playing through it for the good of the team.  

Will has hall of fame talent, and is now signed through 2030.  Oh what could have been with Witt and Gunnar.

• Upvote 1

Think it’s more likely he’s having a down year and can bounce back. Most of it is attributable to his performance against righties this year. It’s definitely much worse than where it was last year. Yeah, he’s been better against lefties traditionally, but it’s encouraging he’s still crushing lefties. Makes me think there’s something correctable in the offseason batting lefty. 

1 minute ago, webbrick2010 said:

Yet another terrible post.

Your Cal Ripken-like streak of insipid takes is genuinely impressive 👌

36 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

The book hasn't been written on these two yet...they still have a long way to go in their careers.  And Adley means a lot to this team, there's no doubt about that.  Leadership, intangibles, all those pesky things that aren't measured in WAR...they mean a lot and I do believe he has a lot of those things.

But no one can tell me that the choice, as it stands right now, is obvious.  What worries me about Adley is the back issue that he's been having lately, hopefully that's nothing long term.  

Witt is the dude.  I do believe there's a chance that Adley is Wieters 2.0, a very good catcher but not the "Joe Mauer with power" that we thought we were getting both times now.

But like I said, the book hasn't been written.  At the present, Witt looks like a generational, transformative player.  Adley just looks like a solid catcher that might be already experiencing a decline.

Couldn’t agree more.

41 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Good post, no question Witt is and will be the better player. Iwas referring to Adley being MIA for 2 months ( at which time many here were saying to extend him) now hes average. There is something physically wrong with Adlet, I'd bet money on it.

3 minutes ago, ChosenOne21 said:

Maybe we should have an Adley Rutschman + Gunnar Henderson vs. Bobby Witt Jr. + Brady McConnell thread.

Start it. 

But that’s not the argument. The argument is that we could have had both Witt AND Gunnar. I’m assuming they’d be on the left side of the dirt and that would be spectacular. 

That assumes that Witt would have progressed here as he has in KC. No guarantees there, either.