Trade Deadline Primer/Thread

Roll Tide

I have to laugh at the "continue to scout". Like, what could they possibly learn about Mancini that their baseball operations don't already know? 

"Ok, phew, he had a good game, pull the trigger!!" I mean Mancini is who he is, you already know exactly what you're getting. I know it's due diligence, but just seems goofy to me. 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, interloper said:

I have to laugh at the "continue to scout". Like, what could they possibly learn about Mancini that their baseball operations don't already know? 

"Ok, phew, he had a good game, pull the trigger!!" I mean Mancini is who he is, you already know exactly what you're getting. I know it's due diligence, but just seems goofy to me. 

There probably scouting to see if Mancini is playing with an injury or if he starts hitting better.  He is kind of in a funk right now.

5 hours ago, ScGO's said:

I like Lyles, but I'm having trouble imaging a competitor taking on his salary as a negative WAR player right now.  Might as well have him eat some innings the remainder of the season. No one wants Odor. Urias is staying put; he has 4 more years of control and won't reach arbitration until 2024. If Mancini and Santander are moved, they will need Urias bat to help stabilize the line up will the young guys phase in.

My best guess is Mancini, Lopez, and Santander are moved if the price is right.  With Lyles and Odor becoming free agents, trading these 3 now will actually open up some salary for 2023 to bring in a better FA SP?

No real argument with your points here. Let me clarify. I was just saying what I thought possible, not necessarily likely. I don’t think they are going to move Lyles just to move him. A guy like him certainly has value, even if it is in a role that he has with Baltimore. In a season with so many injuries to pitchers, there might be a suitor for him. Either way, I’m good with.

Odor may or may not be of any real value. Depends on the team, and if they need an everyday 2B, without much production, but has a penchant for the dramatic.

Urias isn’t necessarily going anywhere, but a suitor might want a guy that brings infield flexibility and has several years of control. I have liked him since we saw him in 2020. The only reason I really include him is he is hot right now and we have Henderson and Westburg and Vavra. They need to have room to come up. Someone has to go. To put him in a UT role is a loss of value, IMO. They are not going to bring up the prospects to sit them either. Something has to give. And really, trading him now would be selling lower than the value next year should bring. I think he is about to take off. 

The last paragraph of your post, is a very sound guess to what they likely do. I would move Tate, if possible. I would only move Lopez if a great return. 

8 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

I personally don’t trust him long term.  I’m thinking his value will never be higher than it is this deadline.

I agree with you.   He’s got great movement on his pitches but doesn’t really command it.   Too many pitches leak into the middle of the plate IMO.

2 hours ago, odogs101 said:

Mancini out of the lineup today too...

Probably just a standard rest day.

Tweet from Roch:

"Mancini getting a mental break today. Hyde senses that he’s pressing."

Edited by rm5678

3 hours ago, interloper said:

Mancini makes a diving catch.  Buck "I told you he was a nugget in the outfield."