Time for Nevin and Odor to go

Brooks The Great

53 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

I don't think the decision on Vavra being an MLB 2B or not is up to Hyde. Elias will let Hyde know where Vavra needs to play on the team and if Elias thinks Vavra can play 2B, then Vavra will get a chance to prove himself. 

Okay, then Elias doesn’t seem to think Vavra is a major league 2B. It would make sense since he’s been consistently hitting all year at AAA while Odor plays like hot garbage every night yet Elias did not call him up. 

I can’t wait til Vavra gets in a game at 2B so I can see for myself but I’m just getting vibes like he sucks defensively and that’s why he’s been used the way he has. 

Why is everybody griping about Odor? He is the same guy he has been for 4 or 5 years now. I don't think the Orioles signed him expecting him to turn into a .300 hitter somehow so if you want to blame somebody for Odor blame Elias. 

I think Odor should be a guy who comes off the bench. He isn't the worst guy to bring in to pinch hit and would provide some pop in that role. I agree that he kills us defensively.

Nevin should absolutely be in AAA. The problem is that now with Mancini gone, who can play 1B besides Mountcastle? I know Ruschman has done in it in the minors but there's no way he gets taken from behind the plate. 

McKenna is the other guy who doesn't belong. He cannot hit major league pitching. At this point, he is taking up an OF spot, just like DJ Stewart did.

Edited by DEOriolesfan

40 minutes ago, oriole said:

Okay, then Elias doesn’t seem to think Vavra is a major league 2B. It would make sense since he’s been consistently hitting all year at AAA while Odor plays like hot garbage every night yet Elias did not call him up. 

I can’t wait til Vavra gets in a game at 2B so I can see for myself but I’m just getting vibes like he sucks defensively and that’s why he’s been used the way he has. 

Well after today shakes out if we don't see Vavra start getting regular playing time at 2B, then we'll know the organization doesn't view him as a 2B.

Odor isn't going to be back next year, so there's no reason not to play Vavra at 2B unless he really can't play the position defensively. 

Just now, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Well after today shakes out if we don't see Vavra start getting regular playing time at 2B, then we'll know the organization doesn't view him as a 2B.

Odor isn't going to be back next year, so there's no reason not to play Vavra at 2B unless he really can't play the position defensively. 

I’d love to see them at least give him a chance there. But the way they’ve handled his playing time since his call up is insane to me. He’d be better off staying at Norfolk and getting everyday at bats while playing 2B and let Martin come up and ride the bench and platoon with Odor in Baltimore. 

4 hours ago, DEOriolesfan said:

McKenna is the other guy who doesn't belong. He cannot hit major league pitching. At this point, he is taking up an OF spot, just like DJ Stewart did.

I don’t have a problem with McKenna if they limit his ABs. He’s a solid defensive replacement and pinch runner, he just shouldn't be starting unless absolutely necessary. He’s David Lough, really. 

Nevin to Norfolk, Odor to the bench, Urias to 2B and Gunnar up to play 3B.   Manny Machado was the guy who put the O's over the top down the stretch in 2014; let's see if Gunnar can do the same.  

I'd also like to see Stowers called up to get some of Mancini's at bats.  To me the decision to call up Yusniel Diaz instead of Stowers reeks of the same logic that has given Tyler Nevin so many at bats.  Elias seems to prefer calling up lesser prospects, maybe so he can give them one last chance before cutting them loose, while better prospects spin their wheels at AAA or AA.  

8 hours ago, vab said:

Why is everybody griping about Odor? He is the same guy he has been for 4 or 5 years now. I don't think the Orioles signed him expecting him to turn into a .300 hitter somehow so if you want to blame somebody for Odor blame Elias. 

Because he sucks.   He's sucked for years,  and we should have never signed him in the first place.   Elias certainly gets the blame for the signing and keeping him on the roster this long.   And on Hyde for not benching him as much as possible. 

10 hours ago, Brooks The Great said:

It's just not going to happen. Odor is awful. And everyone can see it. Except for Brandon Hyde, apparently.

If Elias didn't think Odor was a major leaguer, he wouldn't be on the team.  Odor might have had a place on the team ain the first half, but he's only taking ABs away from guys who could help in 2023.

1 hour ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

If Elias didn't think Odor was a major leaguer, he wouldn't be on the team.  Odor might have had a place on the team ain the first half, but he's only taking ABs away from guys who could help in 2023.

Any chance the O's in-house / proprietary metrics have him as better with the glove than publicly available advanced metrics?

Nevin has around a .750 OPS since July 1st. He has a .722 OPS vs LHP this season. He can play 3B just enough. Nevin has come on. He’s fulfilling his role. 

Odor should be the one replaced by Vavra, but Odor still has a bench spot. Vavra to 2B. Stowers to OF. 

Mullins is the one that is really struggling.