Terrin Vavra Bandwagon

Filmstudy

25 minutes ago, rm5678 said:

He's playing 2B today and batting 3rd.

Analogous player from the 1980s...Tom O'Malley.  Analogous isn't exactly the right word, since I think Vavra has the potential to be much better, but meteoric in-season rise was similar.

He wasn't a rookie in 1986, but was a 25-year-old, LHB, utility infielder with less than 1000 career ABs.  Weaver liked something about him after a brief hot streak and installed him as the 3 hitter at Fenway Park on 6/22/86 and then left him there for 4 games.  Even Earl played the hot hand once in a while instead of hi more common hitter vs pitcher stats.

O'Malley lasted until age 29 and played for 6 teams.

15 minutes ago, ScGO's said:

Funny how a week ago vavra was glued to the bench and this board was ready to riot, now he's batting 3rd and hopefully about to steal 2b from odor. What a flip

It's proof that Hyde/Elias need to give the young guys a chance to see what they can do. How much difference would it make if Stowers was in the majors hitting .260 versus Phillips hitting .151? I'll give a little props to Phillips for his 2 doubles since he's been here.

Terrin’s dad, Joe Vavra, was the long time hitting coach and bench coach with the Twins from 2005-2017. 

The Twins hitting performances and approach during that run were outstanding overall. 

Terrin’s knowledge of hitting has been built in lots of ways 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Great to see him at 2B and I hope he plays well. Odor at 3B instead of Urias is a head scratcher 

Odor played 3b last year for first time in his career and played 33 games there for the Yankees.  It does get Vavra as another LH bat in the lineup and he is lefty compared to Urias (although a lefty who can’t hit very well lol) 

1 hour ago, ScGO's said:

Funny how a week ago vavra was glued to the bench and this board was ready to riot, now he's batting 3rd and hopefully about to steal 2b from odor. What a flip

I mean, it’s pretty simple.  The O’s gave Vavra a couple of days to settle into the big league routine, gave him an opportunity and he made the most of it.  If he’d gone 0 for 10 he’d be on the bench.  

9 minutes ago, Orioles Jim said:

Live update from the game:

Vavra botched the around the horn throw to Mateo after the 2nd out (he sort of lazily lobbed it off the mark to Mateo and Mateo lazily reached for it).

Means (less than) nothing but kind of amusing given the knock on him is his 2nd base arm.

And then Vavra makes a good play off the Mountcastle knockdown on a grounder.

Of course, Vavra underhanded it to Watkins, so no real verdict on the arm. 😅

The game is blackedout for me today on mlb.tv as I'm in the pirates market I guess,  but I don't have cable, so I'm unable to watch them,  but listening on the radio.  How is Vavra looking?  Can only tell so much from radio, especially with these announcers. 

3 minutes ago, forphase1 said:

The game is blackedout for me today on mlb.tv as I'm in the pirates market I guess,  but I don't have cable, so I'm unable to watch them,  but listening on the radio.  How is Vavra looking?  Can only tell so much from radio, especially with these announcers. 

Just made  routine play at 2B. Made a good play on a Mountcastle booted ball to get the out.

Struck out swinging his first time up. Hit a line drive to LF his second AB. LF made the catch on the run.

Nothing bad really.

So, question about today's game. Game thread chatter was saying the infield wasn't shifting the way they had been all season. If they had been shifting as they have with Urias at 3B and Odor at 2B, would that string of grounders in the 5th been minimized by a hit or two? 

On 8/7/2022 at 10:49 AM, rm5678 said:

He's playing 2B today and batting 3rd.

I'm catching up from traveling, and just appreciating this yesterday lineup now.    He's pinged some singles and even a gap or two and controlled the zone, but I think that deployment is over his skis.     Have your .375 OBP for two months not two weeks before we do that kind of thing.

I am sure there is a Swing Decision morality play batting him ahead of Mountcastle and Santander certain front office seamheads are reveling in, but c'mon man.    If you are going to pinch-hit for him, don't bat him 3rd and freak half the lineup out.

• Upvote 1