Updated Baseball America Top 100 List Out-Post Draft (Gunnar #1)

ManciniFan

2 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Brooks Lee ahead of Holliday is just stupid unless you are solely valuing closeness to the majors and I think Holliday could be up as fast.

Sometimes you gotta really wonder about these rankings. It's kinda why I don't really care where our guys end up although it's good to see them in the conversation

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, btdart20 said:

As much as we're amped about Adley, I think Gunnar and Grayson will be better (health, etc., etc.)

As a rookie, Adley’s playing at a 6 WAR per 162 pace.  If Gunnar and Grayson are better that will be pretty astounding.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Paul in Virginia said:

How often has a team drafted two eventual #1 guys in the same draft?

Didn’t see this posted anywhere yet, but I found this in a Sun article today which announced Gunnar taking the number one BA spot.  

“If Henderson maintains his top prospect status from this midseason update through the offseason, it would be the first time since the publication began rankings in 1990that two No. 1 prospects came from the same organization’s draft class.”

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, scarey1999 said:

Didn’t see this posted anywhere yet, but I found this in a Sun article today which announced Gunnar taking the number one BA spot.  

“If Henderson maintains his top prospect status from this midseason update through the offseason, it would be the first time since the publication began rankings in 1990that two No. 1 prospects came from the same organization’s draft class.”

Can you imagine the reputation Elias will have with his GM peers if he can pull this off?  What an amazing draft 2019 is turning out to be.  

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, 86this said:

Steve Malewski on the case!  I guess this is closer than the Strasberg/Harper comp.  The problem with this is that Drew wasn't drafted by the Cardinals and used that loophole when he was drafted by the Phillies. https://www.vivaelbirdos.com/2015/6/30/8790989/the-curious-case-of-drafting-j-d-drew

Yeesh lets hope Adley and Gunnar work out better than Drew and Ankiel did...

16 minutes ago, 86this said:

Steve Malewski on the case!  I guess this is closer than the Strasberg/Harper comp.  The problem with this is that Drew wasn't drafted by the Cardinals and used that loophole when he was drafted by the Phillies. https://www.vivaelbirdos.com/2015/6/30/8790989/the-curious-case-of-drafting-j-d-drew

My mistake, JD Drew was re-drafted in the first round the following year.  Melewski was close but they weren't in theory the same draft year.

6 hours ago, oriole said:

So obviously we gotta keep this going…whose the next #1? Holliday? Cowser? Povich?

I would think Cowser will be top 10 by end of year if he continues to put up the numbers he's delivered so far in Bowie. If that happens, maybe a white hot start to next season at AAA gets him into the #1 prospect discussion?

Edited by bluedog
  • Upvote 1